Use of pilot plant scale continuous fryer to simulate industrial production of potato chips: thermal properties of palm olein blends under continuous frying conditions
Article first published online: 27 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Food Science & Nutrition published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Food Science & Nutrition
Volume 2, Issue 1, pages 28–38, January 2014
How to Cite
Food Science & Nutrition 2014; 2(1): 28–38
- Issue published online: 13 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 27 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 10 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Received: 18 AUG 2013
- 2010. Sensory and physicochemical qualities of palm olein and sesame seed oil blends during frying of banana chips. J. Agric. Sci. 2:18–29. , , and .
- 2007. Palm oil products in cooking and frying. Presented at 27th Palm Oil Familiarization Programme, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 14–24 August 2007. , and .
- 2008. Comparison of the frying stability of standard palm olein and special quality palm olein. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 85:245–251. , and .
- 2012. The impact of blanching and high-pressure pretreatments on oil uptake of fried potato slices. Food Bioprocess Technol. 5:2392–2400. , and .
- 2012. Frying of potato chips in a blend of canola oil and palm olein: changes in levels of individual fatty acids and tocols. Int. J. Food Sci. Technol. 47:1701–1709. , , , and .
- 2005. Palm oil. Pp. 333–429 in F. Shahidi, ed. Bailey's industrial oil and fat products. John Wiley & Sons Inc., New York, NY.
- 2005. The use of palm oil in frying. Malaysian Palm Oil Council, Selangor, Malaysia.
- CODEX Alimentarius. 2001. Pp. 11–25 in CODEX standard for named vegetable oils CX-STAN 210-1999. CODEX Alimentarius, Rome, Italy.
- 1992. Standard methods for the analysis of oils, fats and derivatives of the IUPAC. 7th ed. Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, U.K. , and .
- 2003. Determination of polar compounds, polymerized and oxidized triacylglycerols, and diacylglycerols in oils and fats: results of collaborative studies and the standardized method. Pure Appl. Chem. 72:1563–1575. , , and .
- 2009. Frying stability of canola oil blended with palm olein, olive, and corn oils. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 86:71–76. , , and .
- 1996. Modeling heat and mass transfer in immersion frying. I—model development. J. Food Eng. 29:211–226. , , and .
- 2009. Official methods and recommended practices of the AOCS. 6th ed. American Oil Chemists' Society Press, Champaign, IL.
- 2004. Deep frying remains an art. Eur. J. Lipid Sci. Technol. 106:713–714.
- 2001. A new method to determine oxidative stability of vegetable fats and oils at simulated frying temperature. Ol. Corps Gras Lipides 8:82–88. , and .
- 2005. Palm oil and palm olein frying applications. Asia Pac. J. Clin. Nutr. 14:414–419.
- 2008. Studies on quality of coconut oil blends after frying potato chips. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 85:1165–1172. , , , and .
- 2001. The composition of frying oils. Pp. 87–114 in J. B. Rossell, ed. Frying: improving quality. Woodhead Publishing Ltd., Cambridge, U.K.
- 2011. Deep frying performance of enzymatically synthesized palm-based medium- and long-chain triacylglycerols (MLCT) oil blends. Food Bioprocess. Technol. 4:124–135. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Performance of high-oleic oils during frying in comparison with palm olein. Pp. 1–17 in Technical Communication 11. Britannia Food Ingredients Ltd., Goole, Humberside, U.K.
- 2007. Frying performance of a sunflower/palm oil blend in comparison with pure palm oil. Eur. J. Lipid Sci. Technol. 109:237–246. , , , , , and .
- 2003. The recovery of used sunflower seed oil utilized in repeated deep-fat frying process. Eur. Food Res. Technol. 218:26–31. , and .
- 2006. Utilization of high-oleic rapeseed oil for deep-fat frying of French fries compared to other commonly used edible oils. Eur. J. Lipid Sci. Technol. 108:200–211.
- 2006. Antiradical performance and physicochemical characteristics of vegetable oils upon frying French fries: a preliminary comparative study. J. Food Lipids 13:259–276. , , and .
- 2010. Effects of frying condition on physicochemical properties of palm olein-olive oil blends. J. Food Agric. Environ. 8:175–178. , and .
- 2006. The role of palm oil in the snack food industry. Presented at International Palm Oil Trade Fair and Seminar, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 14–15 October 2008.
- 1997. Criteria for comparing frying oils. Pp. 73–90 in S. P. Kochhar, ed. New developments in industrial frying. SJ Barnes and Associates, Bridgwater, U.K.
- 1975. Effect of water and BHT on stability of cottonseed oil during frying. J. Sci. Food Agric. 26:1655–1666. , , and .
- 1999. Palm olein quality parameter changes during industrial production of potato chips. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 76:731–738. , and .
- 1997. Factor affecting the quality of frying oils. Pp. 35–72 in S. P. Kochhar, ed. New developments in industrial frying. SJ Barnes and Associates, Bridgwater, U.K.
- 2001. Factor affecting the quality of frying oils and fats. Pp. 115–164 in J. B. Rossell, ed. Frying: improving quality. Woodhead Publishing Ltd., Cambridge, U.K.
- 2002. Improving the frying characteristics of cottonseed oil by blending with apricot kernel oil. Presented at 4th Food Quality Conference COMIBASSAL, Alexandria, Egypt, 11–13 June 2002. , and .
- 2007. A non-extractable condensed-tannins fiber reduces thermal oxidation in oils at frying temperature. Eur. J. Lipid Sci. Technol. 109:1218–1225. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Industrial production of crisps and pre fried French fries using sunflower oils. Grasas Aceites 47:5–13. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Palm fruit chemistry and nutrition. Asia Pac. J. Clin. Nutr. 12:355–362. , , and .
- 2002. Stability during frying of moringa oleifera seed oil variety “Periyakulam 1.” J. Food Comp. Anal. 15:79–101. , and .
- 2002. Effectiveness of the antioxidants BHA and BHT in selected vegetable oils during intermittent heating. Grasas Aceites 53:199–205. , , and .