Effects of sodium benzoate on storage stability of previously improved beverage from tamarind (Tamarindus indica L.)
Version of Record online: 15 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Food Science & Nutrition published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Food Science & Nutrition
Volume 2, Issue 1, pages 17–27, January 2014
How to Cite
Food Science & Nutrition 2014; 2(1): 17–27
- Issue online: 13 JAN 2014
- Version of Record online: 15 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 4 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Received: 10 JUN 2013
- A.A.C.C. 1983. American Association of Cereal Chemists' approved methods. American Association of Cereal Chemists, St Paul, MN.
- 2010. Development and sensory evaluation of an improved beverage from Nigeria's tamarind (Tamarindus indica L.) fruit. Afr. J. Food Agric. Nutr. Dev. 10:4079–4092. , and .
- 2012. A comparative evaluation of the chemical properties of wild tamarind (Tamarindus indica L.) fruits in Nigeria. Food 6:49–57. , and .
- 2006. Development and quality evaluation of non-alcoholic beverages from maize-based products. Nutr. Food Sci. 36:183–190. , , , and .
- 1994. Effect of method of manufacture on quality characteristics of Kunun Zaki, a millet-based beverage. Niger. Food J. 12:34–41. , and .
- 1980. Variations of sugars and amino acids during ripening of pears and in the production and storage of pear concentrate. J. Food Sci. 45:499–501. , and .
- 2001. Cottage processing of cashew apple juice in Nigeria; physico-chemical and sensory evaluation of product. J. Food Technol. Afr. 6:56–58. , , and .
- 1993. Effect of pasteurising times on the quality of processed pineapple juice. Niger. Food J. 11:9–14. , , and .
- 2004. Chemical and sensory changes during storage of bottled fresh and chemically treated melon-orange beverage. Niger. J. Nutri. Sci. 25:23–27. , and .
- 1995. Official Methods of Analysis. Association of Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC. .
- 1979. Stability of carotenoid in dehydrated carrots. J. Food Technol. 14:579–586. , , , and .
- 2011. Preparation of sour grape (Vitis vinifera) beverages and evaluation of their storage stability. J. Food Process. Technol. 2:116–119. , , , and .
- 1963. Introduction to the biochemistry of foods. Elsevier Publishing Company, New York.
- 2009. Tamarind (Tamarindus indica L.): a review of traditional uses, phytochemistry and pharmacology. Pp. 85–110 in H. R. Juliani, J. E. Simon and C. Ho, eds. African natural plant products. American Chemical Society, Washington. , , and .
- 1974. Effects of pH on quality of stored tomato juice. J. Food Sci. 39:254–256. , and .
- 1978. Food microbiology. Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Company Limited, New Delhi. , and .
- 2012. Effects of irradiation and chemical preservatives on the microbiological quality of refrigerated fresh-cut mangoes. Eur. J. Food Res. Rev. 2:101–110. , , , and .
- 2005. Pasteurisation effects on tamarind nectar and puree. Available at http://ift.comfex.com/ift/2005/techprogram/paper_31111.htm (accessed 15 April 2013). , , and .
- 2000. Tamarind. International Centre for Underutilised Crops, Southampton. , and .
- 1995. Kinetics of ascorbic acid loss and non-enzymatic browning in orange serum; experimental rate constants. J. Food Sci. 66:502–505. , , and .
- 2000. Ascorbic acid content of commercial fruit juices and its rate of loss upon storage. Food Chem. 70:325–328. , , and .
- 2002. Shelf life of different types dahi at room and refrigerated temperatures. Pak. J. Nutr. 1:234–237. , , and .
- 1996. Processing and storage of carbonated guava beverage. J. Food Process. Preserv. 20:79–86. , and .
- 1988. Quality changes and non-enzymatic browning intermediates in grapefruit juice during storage. J. Food Sci. 53:168–172, 180. , and .
- 1977. Temperature and storage effects on percentage retention and US recommended dietary allowance of vitamin C in canned single-strength orange juice. J. Agric. Food Chem. 25:135–140. , and .
- 1990. Formulation and shelf life of a bottled pawpaw juice beverage. Int. J. Food Sci. Technol. 25:706–710. , and .
- 2013. Quality changes and anthocyanin and vitamin C decay rates of frozen acerola purée during long-term storage. J. Food Process. Preserv. 37: 25–33. , , , , and .
- 2002. Shelf-life studies, spoilage microorganisms and preliminary cost analysis of tsamiya drink produced from tamarind (Tamarindus indica L.) pulp. Niger. Food J. 17:34–41. , , and .
- 2003. Microbial quality evaluation of soborodo (Hibiscus sabdariffa) drink. Appl. Trop. Agric. 8:69–72.
- 2004. Microbiolgical and physico-chemical evaluation of some non-alcoholic beverages. Pakistan J. Nutr. 3:188–192. , and .
- 1997. Effect of chemical presser vatives on the shelf life of nono. Appl. Trop. Agric. 2:63–66. , , , and .
- 1974. Relationships among titratable acidity, pH and buffer composition of tomato fruits. J. Food Sci. 39:354–357. , and .
- 1966. Principles of industrial microbiology. Pergamon Press, Oxford. , and .
- 2007. How food composition databases can encourage innovation in the food industry. Trends Food Sci. Technol. 18:445–449. , and .
- 2009. Studies on changes in whey beverage during storage. J. Maharashtra Agric. Univ. 34:97–99. , , , and .
- 1993. Optimisation of carrot juice colour and cloud stability. J. Food Sci. 58:1129–1131. , , and .
- 1980. Effects of storage, temperature and duration on total vitamin C content of canned single-strength grape juice. J. Agric. Food Chem. 28:217–421. , and .
- 2007. Physical, chemical and microbiological changes during storage of orange juices cv. Sai Nam Pung and cv. Khieo Waan in Northern Thailand. Int. J. Agric. Biol. 9:726–730. , and .