Genetic characterization of Italian tomato varieties and their traceability in tomato food products
Article first published online: 5 DEC 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Food Science & Nutrition published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Food Science & Nutrition
Volume 1, Issue 1, pages 54–62, January 2013
How to Cite
Sardaro, M. L. S., Marmiroli, M., Maestri, E. and Marmiroli, N. (2013), Genetic characterization of Italian tomato varieties and their traceability in tomato food products. Food Science & Nutrition, 1: 54–62. doi: 10.1002/fsn3.8
- Issue published online: 8 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 5 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 29 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 17 AUG 2012
- European Commission. Grant Number: FOOD-CT-036300
- Emilia-Romagna Region. Grant Number: POR FSE 2007–2013
- 2007. Recupero, caratterizzazione e valorizzazione di varietà locali italiane di pomodoro da mensa. Italus Hort 14:74–84. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. The use of food genomics to ensure the traceability of olive oil. Trends Food Sci. Tech. 22:237–244. , , , and .
- 1960. Tomato. Pp. 3353–3359 in L. H. Bailey, ed. The standard cyclopedia of horticulture. The Macmillan Company, New York. , , , and .
- 2003. The effect of processing parameters on DNA degradation in food. Eur. Food Res. Technol. 217:338–343. , , , and .
- 2002. Construction and testing of a microsatellite database containing more than 500 tomato varieties. Theor. Appl. Genet. 105:1019–1026. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Biochemistry and molecular biology of plants. American Society of Plant Physiologists, Rockville, MD, 320 pp. , , and .
- 2011. Simple Sequence Repeats are able to trace tomato cultivars in tomato food chains. Food Control 22:549–554. , , , and .
- 1995. Varietal identification of crop plants. Pp. 33–63 in J. Skerritt and R. Appels, eds. New Diagnostics in Crop Sciences. CAB International, Wallingford.
- 2005. Methods to improve the yield and quality of DNA from dried and processed figs. Biotechnol. Progr. 21(2):546–549. , , , and .
- European Commission. 2002. Regulation (EC) No. 178/2002 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 28 January 2002 laying down the general principles and requirements of food law, establishing the European Food Safety Authority and laying down procedures in matters of food safety OJ, L31, pp. 1–24.
- FAOSTAT 2010. FAOSTAT | © FAO Statistics Division http://faostat.fao.org/ 2012 (accessed 27 April 2012).
- 2005. Development of a set of PCR-based anchor markers encompassing the tomato genome and evaluation of their usefulness for genetics and breeding experiments. Theor. Appl. Genet. 111:291–312. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Evaluation of amplified fragment length polymorphism and simple sequence repeats for tomato germplasm fingerprinting: utility for grouping closely related traditional cultivars. Genome 49:648–656. , , , , and .
- 2001. Composition of tomatoes and tomato products in antioxidants. In R. Bilton, M. Gerber, P. Grolier and C. Leoni, eds. The white book on antioxidants in tomatoes and tomato products and their health benefits. Final Report of the Concerted Action FAIR (CT97-3233), CMITI Sarl, Avignon, France. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Principles of population genetics, 3rd edn. Sinauer Associates Inc. Publishers, Sunderland, MA, xiii +542 pp. , and .
- 2003. Development and characterization of simple sequence repeat (SSR) markers and their use in determining relationships among Lycopersicon esculentum cultivars. Theor. Appl. Genet. 6:363–373. , , and .
- 2009. Assessment of genetic variation among commercial tomato (Solanum lycopersicum L) varieties using SSR markers and morphological characteristics. Genes and Genomics 31(1):1–10. , , and .
- 2001. Commercial applications of plant genotyping. Pp. 265–273 in R. J. Henry, ed. Plant genotyping: the DNA fingerprinting of plants, CABI Publishing, Wallingford, Oxon. , and .
- 2001. Genetic Data Analysis. Computer program for the analysis of allelic data. Version 1.0 (d16c). Free program distributed by the authors over the internet from http://lewis.eeb.uconn.edu/lewishome/software.html , and .
- 2003. Advanced PCR techniques in identifying food components. Pp. 3–33 in M. Lees, ed. Food authenticity and traceability. Woodhead Publishing. Cambridge, U.K. , , and .
- 2009.Molecular traceability of olive oil: From plant genomics to food genomics. Pp. 157–172 in L. Berti and J. Maury, eds. Advances In Olive Resources. Transworld Research Network, Trivandrum, India. , , , and .
- 2008. Genetic diversity, structure and marker-trait associations in a collection of Italian tomato (Solanum lycopersicum L.) landraces. Theor. Appl. Genet. 116:657–669. , , , , , , et al.
- 1979. Mathematical model for studying genetic variation in terms of restriction endonucleases. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 76:5269–5273. , and .
- 2006. GENALEX 6: genetic analysis in excel. Population genetic software for teaching and research. Mol. Ecol. Notes 6:288–295. , and .
- 1996. Polymorphism revealed by simple sequence repeats. Trends Plant Sci. 1:215–222. , , and .
- 1976. Tomato, Lycopersicon esculentum (Solanaceae). Pp. 268–273 in N. W. Simmonds, ed. Evolution of crop plants. Longman Group, London.
- 1989. Molecular cloning. A laboratory manual, 2nd edn. Cold Spring Harbor, NY. , , and .
- 2009. Oligonucleotide array discovery of polymorphisms in cultivated tomato (Solanum lycopersicum L.) reveals patterns of SNP variation associated with breeding. BMC Genomics 10:466. , , , , and .
- 1997. Use of short microsatellites from database sequences to generate polymorphisms among Lycopersicon esculentum cultivars and accessions of other Lycopersicon species. Theor. Appl. Genet. 94:264–272. , , , , and .
- 1973. The principle and practice of numerical classification. Numerical taxonomy. WH Freeman and Company, San Francisco, CA. , and .
- 2006. Molecular validation of multiple allele inheritance for dominant genic male sterility gene in Brassica napus L. Theor. Appl. Genet. 113:55–62. , , , , and .
- 1969. Il pomodoro. Ed Agricole, Bologna.
- 2002. Generation and mapping of AFLP, SSRs and SNPs in Lycopersicon esculentum. Cell. Mol. Biol. Lett. 7:583–597. , , , , and .
- 2010. Evaluation of DNA extraction procedures for traceability of various tomato products. Food Control 21:143–149. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Validation of a tomato specific gene, LAT52, used as an endogenous reference gene in qualitative and real-time quantitative PCR detection of transgenic tomatoes. J. Agr. Food Chem. 53(2):83–190. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Quantitative and qualitative evaluation of nine different extraction methods for nucleic acids on soya bean food samples. Z. Lebensm Unters Forsch A 207:81–90. , , and .