Hydration kinetics of direct expanded tef flour breakfast cereals in water and milk
Version of Record online: 8 DEC 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Food Science & Nutrition published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Food Science & Nutrition
Volume 2, Issue 1, pages 39–45, January 2014
How to Cite
Food Science & Nutrition 2014; 2(1): 39–45
- Issue online: 13 JAN 2014
- Version of Record online: 8 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 13 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 28 MAR 2013
- 1990. Extruded wheat flour: correlation between processing and product quality parameters. Food Qual. Prefer. 2:201–216. , and .
- 1997. Twin-screw extrusion of rice-green gram blend: extrusion and extrudate characteristics. J. Food Eng. 32:83–99.
- 2001. Breakfast cereals. Pp. 133–160 in R. Guy, ed. Extrusion cooking technologies and applications. Woodhead Publishing Ltd. and CRC Press, Cambridge, UK.
- 2004. Tef. Pp. 253–262 in Encyclopaedia of grain science. Elsevier, Amsterdam, the Netherlands. , and .
- 2005. Extrusion behavior of cohesive potato starch pastes: II. Microstructure–process interactions. J. Food Eng. 66:13–24. , , , and .
- 1998. Application of the probabilistic Weibull model to rehydration kinetics: relationship between the model parameters and the underlying physical mechanisms. Pp. 9–13 in J. C. Oliveira and F. A. R. Oliveira, eds. Proceeding of the 3rd main meeting of the Copernicus Program Project “Process Optimization and Minimal Processing of Foods, CIPA-Ct94-0195. Vol. 3: Drying”. Escola Superior de Biotechnologia, Porto, Portugal. , , , and .
- 2005. Effects of operating conditions on oil loss and properties of products obtained by co-rotating twin-extrusion of fatty meal: preliminary study. J. Food Eng. 70:109–116. , , , , , and .
- 2005. The effect of extrusion conditions on the physicochemical properties and sensory characteristics of rice-based expanded snacks. J. Food Eng. 66:283–289. , , , , and .
- 2006. The effect of extrusion conditions on the functional and physical properties of what-based expanded snacks. J. Food Eng. 73:142–148. , , , , and .
- 1985. An experimental study of twin-screw extrusion-cooking of maize grits. J. Food Eng. 4:291–312. , , and .
- 1997. Effect of water on the mechanical behavior of extruded flat bread. J. Cereal Sci. 25:303–311. , , , and .
- 1999. Functional properties of starch extrudates. Part I. Dependence of extrudates properties on starch water content. J. Polish Agric. Univ. 2:1–6. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Antiplasticization of cereal-based products by water. Part II. Breakfast cereals. J. Food Eng. 77:644–652. , and .
- 1997. Twin-screw extrusion of rice flour without a die: effect of barrel temperature and screw speed on extrusion and extrudate characteristics. J. Food Eng. 32:251–267. , , and .
- 1993. Water absorption in chickpea (C. arietinum) cultivars using the Peleg model. J. Food Sci. 58:848–852. , , , and .
- 1995. Modeling moisture uptake and soluble solids losses during rehydration of dried apple pieces. Pp. 64–69 in J. C. Oliveira, ed. Proceeding of the 1st main meeting of the Copernicus Program Project “Process Optimization and Minimal Processing of Foods, CIPA-Ct94-0195. Vol. 3: Drying”. Escola superior de Biotechnologia, Porto, Portugal. , , , , and .
- 1996. The effect of extrusion operating conditions on the apparent viscosity and the properties of extrudates in twin-screw extrusion cooking of maize grits. Lebensm. Wiss. u. Technol. 29:593–598. , , , and .
- 1999. Extrusion cooking of rice flour and amaranth blends. Lebensm. Wiss. u. Technol. 32:79–88. , , and .
- 2006. Effect of extrusion operating conditions on physico-chemical and sensory attributes of Tef grain puffed products. M.Sc. thesis, Haramaya University, Ethiopia.
- 1997. Tef (Eragrostis tef (Zucc.) Trotter). Promoting the conservation and use of under-utilised neglected crops, 12. IPGRI, Italy
- 1988. An experimental study of screw configuration effects in the twin-screw extrusion-cooking of maize grits. J. Food Eng. 8:247–272. , , , and .
- 2004. Water as the determinant of food engineering properties. A review. J. Food Eng. 61:483–495.
- 1998. Modeling product quality during twin-crew food extrusion. Trans. ASAE 41:1729–1738. , , and .
- 2007. Kinetics of water absorption and solute leaching during soaking of breakfast cereals. J. Food Eng. 80:377–384. , , and .
- 1997. Modelling water uptake and soluble solid losses by puffed breakfast cereal immersed in water or milk. Pp. A65–A68 in R. Jowitt, ed. Proceeding of the Seventh International Congress on Engineering and Food. Part I. Sheffield Academic Press, Sheffield, UK. , , and .
- 1998. Kinetics of moisture uptake and soluble-solid loss by puffed breakfast cereals immersed in water. Int. J. Food Sci. Technol. 33:225–237. , , , and .
- 1999. Effect of milk fat and total solid concentration on the kinetics of moisture uptake by ready-to-eat breakfast cereal. Int. J. Food Sci. Technol. 34:47–57. , , and .
- 2004. Effect of porosity on rehydration of dry food particulates. J. Sci. Food Agric. 84:1105–1110. , and .
- 2002. Effect of processing on hydration kinetics of three wheat products of same variety. J. Food Eng. 52:337–341.
- 1990. Microstructural changes during the twin-screw extrusion cooking of maize grits. Carbohydr. Polym. 13:69–84. , , , , and .
- 2003. Kinetic modeling of textural changes in ready-to-eat breakfast cereals during soaking in semi-skimmed milk. Int. J. Food Sci. Technol. 38:135–143. , , , , and .
- 2004. Effects of extrusion temperature and feed composition on the functional, physical and sensory properties of chestnut and rice-based snack-like products. Food Res. Int. 37:527–554. , , , and .
- 2005. The effect of extrusion temperature and drying-tempering on both the kinetics of hydration and the textural changes in extruded ready-to-eat breakfast cereals during soaking in semi-skimmed milk. Int. J. Food Sci. Technol. 40:655–663. , , and .
- 2007. Effects of moisture, temperature and level of pea grits on extrusion behavior and product characteristics of rice. Food Chem. 100:98–202. , , and .
- 2008. Effect of barrel temperature on rehydration kinetics of direct-expanded tef flour breakfast cereal. J. Food Proc. Eng. 31:469–487.
- 1988. The effect of fermentation on the carbohydrates in Tef (Eragrostis tef). Food Chem. 27:181–189. , and .
- 2007. Moisture dependent physical properties of tef. Biosyst. Eng. 96:57–63. , and .