Chemical composition, antioxidant, antimicrobial and cytotoxic activities of Tagetes minuta and Ocimum basilicum essential oils
Article first published online: 16 JAN 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Food Science & Nutrition published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Food Science & Nutrition
Volume 2, Issue 2, pages 146–155, March 2014
How to Cite
Food Science & Nutrition 2014; 2(2): 146–155
- Issue published online: 13 MAR 2014
- Article first published online: 16 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 6 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Received: 27 JUL 2013
- Shiraz University. Grant Number: 88-GR-AGRST-108
- 2012. Evaluation of essential oils for maintaining postharvest quality of Thompson seedless table grape. Nat. Prod. Res. 26:77–83. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. P. 456 in Identification of essential oil components by gas chromatography/mass spectrometery. 4th ed. Allured Publishing Corporation, IL.
- 2011. Fungicidal activity of thymol and carvacrol by disrupting ergosterol biosynthesis and membrane integrity against Candida. Eur. J. Clin. Microbiol. Infect. Dis. 30:41–50. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Comparative study of the chemical composition of essential oils of five Tagetes species collected in Venezuela. Nat. Prod. Commun. 7:1225–12226. , , , and .
- 2006. Induction of early apoptosis and ROS-generation activity in human gingival fibroblasts (HGF) and human submandibular gland carcinoma (HSG) cells treated with curcumin. Arch. Oral Biol. 51:913–921. , , and .
- 2005. Modulating effects of thyme and its major ingredients on oxidative DNA damage in human lymphocytes. J. Agric. Food Chem. 53:1299–1305. , , and .
- 2008. Biological effects of essential oils-a review. Food Chem. Toxicol. 46:446–475. , , , and .
- 2009. Identification of odor impact compounds of Tagetes minuta L. essential oil: comparison of two GC-olfactometry methods. J. Agric. Food Chem. 57:8572–8580. , , , , , , et al.
- British Pharmacopeia. 1998. Pp. 137–138 in British pharmacopeia. HMSO, London, U.K.
- 2006. Antifungal and antibacterial activities of Mexican tarragon. J. Agric. Food Chem. 54:3521–3527. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Radical-scavenging activities of citrus essential oils and their components: detection using 1, 1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl. J. Agric. Food Chem. 48:4156–4161. , , , and .
- 2010. Reactive oxygen species, cellular redox systems, and apoptosis. Free Radical Biol. Med. 48:749–762. , and .
- Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI). 2006. Methods for dilution antimicrobial susceptibility tests for bacteria that grow aerobically, approved standard. 7th ed. Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, CLSIM7-A7, Wayne, PA.
- 2010. Effects of steam-distilled shoot extract of Tagetes minuta (Asterales: Asteraceae) and entomopathogenic fungi on larval Tetanops myopaeformis. Environ. Entomol. 39:979–988. , , , , and .
- 2004. Carotenoid radical chemistry and antioxidant/pro-oxidant properties. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 430:37–48. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Chemical identification of T. minuta Linnaeus (Asteraceae) essential oil and its acaricidal effect on ticks. Rev. Bras. Parasitol. Vet. 21:405–4011. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Bactericidal action of binary and ternary mixtures of carvacrol, thymol, and eugenol against Listeria innocua. J. Food Sci. 76:M95–M100. , , and .
- 2008. Mosquito repellent activity of essential oils of aromatic plants growing in Argentina. Bioresour. Technol. 99:2507–2515. , , and .
- 2012. Investigation into the antioxidant activity and chemical composition of alcoholic extracts from defatted marigold residue. Fitoterapia 83:481–489. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Antibacterial activity of water extracts and essential oils of various aromatic plants against Paenibacillus larvae, the causative agent of American Foulbrood. J. Invertebr. Pathol. 104:209–213. , and .
- 2012. Antioxidant and cytotoxic potential of a new thienyl derivative from T. erecta roots. Pharm. Biol. 50:1013–1028. , , , , and .
- 2006. Nuclear and mitochondrial compartmentation of oxidative stress and redox signaling. Annu. Rev. Pharmacol. Toxicol. 46:215–234. , , and .
- 1986. GC-MS analysis of the essential oils of four Tagetes species and the anti-microbial activity of T. minuta. Flav. Fragr. J. 1:169–173. , , and .
- 2010. Antibacterial properties of essential oils and methanol extracts of sweet basil O. basilicum occurring in Bangladesh. Pharm. Biol. 48:504–511. , , , , , , et al.
- Iranian Herbal Pharmacopoeia. 2002. Ministry of Health and Medical Publications, Tehran, Iran.
- 2006. Screening of 70 medicinal plants extracts for antioxidant capacity and total phenols. Food Chem. 94:550–557. , , , and .
- 2012. Chemical composition of the essential oil from basil (O. basilicum Linn.) and its in vitro cytotoxicity against HeLa and HEp-2 human cancer cell lines and NIH 3T3 mouse embryonic fibroblasts. Nat. Prod. Res. 26:1112–1118. , and .
- 2011. Antioxidant capacity of O. basilicum L. and Origanum vulgare L. extracts. Molecules 16:7401–7414. , , , and .
- 2013. Chemical composition, antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of essential oil obtained from Ferula assa-foetida oleo-gum-resin: effect of collection time. Food Chem. 138:2180–2187. , and .
- 2011. Toxicological aspects of the use of phenolic compounds in disease prevention. Interdiscip. Toxicol. 4:173–183.
- 2011. Composition and anti-insect activity of essential oils from Tagetes L. species (Asteraceae, Helenieae) on Ceratitis capitata Wiedemann and Triatoma infestans Klug. J. Agric. Food Chem. 59:5286–5292. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Exploring T. erecta Linn flower for the elastase, hyaluronidase and MMP-1 inhibitory activity. J. Ethnopharmacol. 137:1300–1305. , , , , and .
- 2010. Thiophene occurrence in different Tagetes species: agricultural biomasses as sources of biocidal substances. J. Sci. Food Agric. 90:1210–1217. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Mitochondrial involvement in genetically determined transition metal toxicity: II. Copper toxicity. Chem. Biol. Interact. 163:77–85. , , and .
- 2011. Antioxidant and anticarcinogenic effects of methanolic extract and volatile oil of fennel seeds (F. vulgare). J. Med. Food 14:986–1001. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. The science behind sacredness of Tulsi (O. sanctum Linn.). Indian J. Physiol. Pharmacol. 53:291–306. , , and .
- 2010. Repellent activity of essential oils: a review. Bioresour. Technol. 101:372–378. , , and .
- 2000. Profile of epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFr) expression in human malignancies: effects of exposure to EGF and its biological influence on established human tumor cell lines. Int. J. Mol. Med. 6:495–500. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Inhibitory effects of selected plant essential oils on the growth of four pathogenic bacteria: E. coli O157:H7, S. typhimurium, S. aureus and L. monocytogenes. Food Control 18:414–420. , , , and .
- 2008. Flow cytometric assessment of the antimicrobial activity of essential oils against L. monocytogenes. Food Control 19:1174–1182. , , , , , and .
- 2013. Use of pyrogallol red and pyranine as probes to evaluate antioxidant capacities towards hypochlorite. Molecules 18:1638–1652. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. A review of the efficacy of traditional Iranian medicine for inflammatory bowel disease. World J. Gastroenterol. 16:4504–4514. , , and .
- 2010. Phenolic compounds, antioxidant activity and in vitro inhibitory potential against key enzymes relevant for hyperglycemia and hypertension of commonly used medicinal plants, herbs and spices in Latin America. Bioresour. Technol. 101:4676–4689. , , , and .
- 2010. Mechanism of antifungal activity of terpenoid phenols resembles calcium stress and inhibition of the TOR pathway. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 54:5062–5069. , , , and .
- 2011. Chemical and biological diversity in fourteen selections of four Ocimum species. Nat. Prod. Commun. 6:1705–1710. , , , , and .
- 2010. Antimicrobial activity of basil oil against Salmonella enteritidis in vitro and in food. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 74:1200–1204. , and .
- 2011. Contribution of major lipophilic antioxidants to the antioxidant activity of basil extracts: an EPR study. J. Sci. Food Agric. 91:1128–1134. , , , and .
- 2008. Plant polyphenols mobilize nuclear copper in human peripheral lymphocytes leading to oxidatively generated DNA breakage: implications for an anticancer mechanism. Free Radical Res. 42:764–772. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Evaluation of the antimycobacterium activity of the constituents from O. basilicum against Mycobacterium tuberculosis. J. Ethnopharmacol. 144:220–222. , , , and .
- 2010. Antioxidative responses of O. basilicum to sodium chloride or sodium sulphate salinization. Plant Physiol. Biochem. 48:772–777. , , , , , and .
- 1997. Antimicrobial activity of flavonoids from leaves of T. minuta. J. Ethnopharmacol. 56:227–232. , , , and .
- 2010. Antifungal activity of four weedy plant extracts against selected mycotoxigenic fungi. Appl. Microbiol. 109:1479–1486. , , , , and .
- 2010. Suppression of oxidative stress and pro-inflammatory mediators by Cymbopogon citratus extract in lipopolysaccharide stimulated murine alveolar macrophages. Food Chem. Toxicol. 48:2913–2919. , , and .
- 2005. DPPH radical-scavenging effect of several phenylpropanoid compounds and their glycoside derivatives. Yakugaku Zasshi 125:371–375. , , , , and .
- 2012. Correlation of the chemical composition of essential oils from O. vulgare subsp. virens with the in vitro activity against clinical yeast and filamentous fungi. J. Med. Microbiol. 61:252–260. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Chemical composition, acute toxicity, and antinociceptive activity of the essential oil of a plant breeding cultivar of basil. Planta Med. 77:825–829. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Variation in the volatile terpenoids of two industrially important basil cultivars during plant ontogeny in two different cropping seasons from India. J. Sci. Food Agric. 92:626–631. , , and .
- 2008. The antibacterial mechanism of carvacrol and thymol against Escherichia coli. Lett. Appl. Microbiol. 47:174–179. , , , , and .
- 2009. The main chemical composition and in vitro antifungal activity of the essential oils of O. basilicum. Molecules 8:273–278. , , and .
- 2008. Content, composition, and bioactivity of the essential oils of three basil genotypes as a function of harvesting. J. Agric. Food Chem. 56:380–385. , , , and .