Chemical characterization of commercial liquid smoke products
Version of Record online: 23 DEC 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Food Science & Nutrition published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Food Science & Nutrition
Volume 1, Issue 1, pages 102–115, January 2013
How to Cite
Montazeri, N., Oliveira, A. C. M., Himelbloom, B. H., Leigh, M. B. and Crapo, C. A. (2013), Chemical characterization of commercial liquid smoke products. Food Science & Nutrition, 1: 102–115. doi: 10.1002/fsn3.9
- Issue online: 8 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 23 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 31 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 20 JUL 2012
- USDA-CSREES. Grant Number: 2008-34385-19314
- the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Office of Sea. Grant Number: NA10OAR4170097
- University of Alaska Fairbanks
- 1981. Ingredients of smoke and smoke flavor preparations. Pp. 1–19 in G. Charalambous and G. Inglett, eds. The quality of foods and beverages. Academic Press, New York, NY. , , , , and .
- 2007. Wood smoke flavor. Pp. 201–210 in L. M. L. Nollet, ed. Handbook of meat, poultry and seafood quality. Blackwell Publishing, Ames, IA.
- 2002. Pilot-plant distillation of meadowfoam fatty acids. Ind. Crops Prod. 15:145–154. , and .
- 1993. Wood smoke composition. Pp. 1001–1007 in G. Charalambous, ed. Food flavors, ingredients, and composition. Elsevier, New York, NY. , and .
- 1980. Smoking of foods. Proc. Biochem. 15:8–26. , , and .
- 1993. Organic Acids. Pp. 95–136 in P. M. Davidson and A. L. Branen, eds. Antimicrobials in foods. Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, NY. .
- 1991. Analysis of condensates from wood smoke: components derived from polysaccharides and lignins. Environ. Sci. Technol. 25:1133–1137. , and .
- 1970. A “smoke” flavor fraction of a liquid smoke solution. J. Agric. Food Chem. 18:934–936. , , and .
- 1974. Analysis and comparison of flavor constituents in aqueous smoke condensates from various woods. Agric. Biol. Chem. 38:45–52. , , and .
- 1927. Phenol tests: III The indophenol test. J. Biol. Chem. 72:649–664.
- 1975. The chemistry of smoked foods: a review. Int. J. Food Sci. Technol. 10:245–261. , and .
- 2002. Volatile components of raw and smoked black bream (Brama raii) and rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) studied by means of solid phase microextraction and gas chromatography/mass spectrometry. J. Sci. Food Agric. 82:945–952. , and .
- 1996. Volatile components of aqueous liquid smokes Vitis vinifera L shoots and Fagus sylvatica L wood. J. Sci. Food Agric. 72:104–110. , and .
- 1998. New components with potential antioxidant and organoleptic properties, detected for the first time in liquid smoke flavoring preparations. J. Agric. Food Chem. 46:1276–1285. , and .
- 1999. Influence of the moisture content on the composition of the liquid smoke produced in the pyrolysis process of Fagus sylvatica L. wood. J. Agric. Food Chem. 47:4126–4136. , and .
- 1996. Study of the components of a solid smoke flavouring preparation. Food Chem. 55:251–257. , and .
- 1997. Characterization of the components of a salty smoke flavouring preparation. Food Chem. 58:97–102. , and .
- 1999a. Smoke and liquid smoke. Study of an aqueous smoke flavouring from the aromatic plant Thymus vulgaris L. J. Sci. Food Agric. 79:1267–1274. , and .
- 1999b. Extractable components of the aerial parts of Salvia lavandulifolia and composition of the liquid smoke flavoring obtained from them. J. Agric. Food Chem. 47:3016–3027. , and .
- 1995. Study of a commercial liquid smoke flavoring by means of gas-chromatography mass-spectrometry. J. Agric. Food Chem. 43:463–468. , , and .
- 2001. Carbohydrate and nitrogenated compounds in liquid smoke flavorings. J. Agric. Food Chem. 49:2395–2403. , , and .
- 1977. Novel concepts in technology and design of machinery for production and application of smoke in the food industry. Pure Appl. Chem. 49:1687–1702.
- 2008. Volatile compounds suitable for rapid detection as quality indicators of cold smoked salmon (Salmo salar). Food Chem. 109:184–195. , , , and .
- 2011. Determining aroma-active compounds in Kama flour using SPME-GC/MS and GC-olfactometry. Flavour Frag. J. 26:122–128. , , and .
- 1974. Identification of flavor constituents in carbonyl, non-carbonyl, neutral and basic fractions of aqueous smoke condensates. Agrc. Biol. Chem. 38:53–63. , , and .
- 2006. Volatiles composition and flavour profile identity of smoke flavourings. Food Quality Pref. 17:85–95. , and .
- 1987. The flavor chemistry of wood smoke. Food Rev. Int. 3:139–183.
- 1985. Pyrazine composition of wood smoke as influenced by wood source and smoke generation variables. Flavour Frag J. 1:37–42. , and .
- 2010. Spray application of liquid smoke to reduce or eliminate Listeria monocytogenes surface inoculated on frankfurters. Meat Sci. 85:640–644. , , , , , , et al.
- 1990. Smoking. Pp. 163–180 in Z. E. Sikorski, ed. Seafood: resources, nutritional composition, and preservation. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL. , and .
- 2005. Determination of minimum inhibitory concentrations of liquid smoke fractions. J. Food Sci. 70:M12–M17. , , and .
- 2007. A chemical basis for sour taste perception of acid solutions and fresh-pack dill pickles. J. Food Sci. 72:S352–S359. , , , and .
- 1984. Tar-depleted liquid smoke treatment of food casings. U.S. Patent 4431033. .
- 2002. Chemical references in sensory analysis of smoke flavourings. Food Chem. 78:433–442. , , , , and .
- 1980. An acidity index for the taste of wine. Am. J. Enol. Vitic. 3:265–268. , , and .
- 2002. Liquid smoke: product of hardwood pyrolysis. Abst. Papers Ame. Chem. Soc. 47:366–367. , and .
- 2007. Introduction to smoke condensates. Pp. 63–64 in D. E. Kramer and L. Brown, eds. International smoked seafood conference proceedings. Alaska Sea Grant College Program, Anchorage, AK.
- 2003. pH and titratable acidity. Pp. 207–225 in S. S. Nielsen, ed. Food analysis. Springer, New York, NY. , and .
- 2008. Use of “filtered smoke” and carbon monoxide with fish. J. Cons. Prot. Food Safety 3:31–44.
- 2007. Olfactometric determination of the most potent odor-active compounds in salmon muscle (Salmo salar) smoked by using four smoke generation techniques. J. Agric. Food Chem. 55:4518–4525. , , , , and .
- 2005. Factors affecting elimination of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons from smoked meat foods and liquid smoke flavorings. Mol. Nutr. Food Res. 49:637–647.
- 2005. Composition and analysis of liquid smoke flavouring primary products. J. Sep. Sci. 28:871–882. , , , , and .
- 2007. Volatiles components detected in liquid smoke flavoring preparation from the smoking ingredients of smoked large yellow croaker. Chia-nan Annu. Bull. 33:21–30. , , and .
- 1978. The colour reaction of phenols with the Gibbs reagent. The properties of the coloured product and the optimum reaction conditions. Microchim. Acta 70:197–211. , , , and .
- 2007. Wood smoke components and functional properties. Pp. 55–61 in D. E. Kramer and L. Brown, eds. International smoked seafood conference proceedings. Alaska Sea Grant College Program, Anchorage, AK.
- 1984. Chemical aspects of the smoking of meat and meat products. Pp. 87–158 in C. O. Chichester, E. M. Mark, and B. S. Schweigert, eds. Advances in food research. Academic Press, Orlando, FL. , and .
- 1942. Estimation of phenols in meat and fat. J. Assoc. Off Anal. Chem. 25:779–782.
- 1992. High browning liquid smoke composition and method of making a high browning liquid smoke composition. U.S. Patent 5135770. .
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. 2003, GRN 138 - GRAS Notice 000138: Fish oil. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/fcn/gras_notices/grn000138.pdf (acessed 27 November 2012).
- 2007. Volatile aldehydes in smoked fish: analysis methods, occurence and mechanisms of formation. Food Chem. 105:1536–1556. , , and .
- 2010. Smoke flavoring technology in seafood. Pp. 233–254 in L. M. L. Nollet and F. Toldra, eds. Handbook of seafood and seafood products analysis. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL. , , and .
- 2001. Inhibition of Listeria innocua and L. monocytogenes in a laboratory medium and cold-smoked salmon containing liquid smoke. J. Food Safety 21:111–125. , , and .
- 2006. Pp 160–162 in Dairy science and technology. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL. , , and .
- 1966. Organoleptic evaluation of three phenols present in wood smoke. J. Food Sci. 31:1005–1010.
- 2010. Preparation, chemical constituents and antimicrobial activity of pyroligneous acids from walnut tree branches. J. Anal. Appl. Pyrol. 87:24–28. , , and .
- 2009. Low temperature pyrolysis characteristics of major components of biomass. J. Fuel Chem. Technol. 37:427–432. , , , and .