Protective effect of resveratrol against pressure overload-induced heart failure
Article first published online: 5 MAR 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Food Science & Nutrition published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Food Science & Nutrition
Volume 2, Issue 3, pages 218–229, May 2014
How to Cite
Gupta, P. K., DiPette, D. J. and Supowit, S. C. (2014), Protective effect of resveratrol against pressure overload-induced heart failure. Food Science & Nutrition, 2: 218–229. doi: 10.1002/fsn3.92
- Issue published online: 13 MAY 2014
- Article first published online: 5 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 15 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Received: 4 SEP 2013
- University of South Carolina
- 2011. ACCF/AHA guideline for the diagnosis and treatment of hypertrophic cardiomuopathy. J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 58:212–260. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Novel effects of a single administration of ferulic acid on the regulation of blood pressure and the hepatic lipid metabolic profile in stroke-prone spontaneously hypertensive rats. J. Agric. Food Chem. 56:2825–2830. , , , , and .
- 2004. Potent induction of cellular antioxidants and phase 2 enzymes by resveratrol in cardiomyocytes: protection against oxidative and electrophilic injury. Eur. J. Pharmacol. 489:39–48. , and .
- 2006. Nutritional mechanisms that influence cardiovascular disease. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 83:421S–426S. , , , , and .
- 2008. Overview of emerging pharmacologic agents for acute heart failure syndromes. Eur. J. Heart Fail. 10:201–213. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Cytokine abnormalities in the etiology of the cardiometabolic syndrome. Curr. Hypertens. Rep. 12:93–98. , , , and .
- 2009. Resveratrol prevents the prohypertrophic effects of oxidative stress on LKB1. Circulation 119:1643–1652. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Nitric oxide and oxidative stress in vascular disease. Pflugers Arch. 459:923–939.
- 2003. Cardiac hypertrophy: the good, the bad, and the ugly. Annu. Rev. Physiol. 65:45–79. , and .
- 2005. Oxygen, oxidative stress, hypoxia, and heart failure. J. Clin. Invest. 115:500–508.
- 2013. Metabolic gene remodeling and mitochondrial dysfunction in failing right ventricular hypertrophy secondary to pulmonary arterial hypertension. Circ. Heart Fail 6:136–144. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Improved antiulcer and anticancer properties of a trans-resveratrol analog in mice. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 328:829–838. , , , , and .
- 2002. The protective effect of resveratrols on ischaemia-reperfusion injuries of rat hearts is correlated with antioxidant efficacy. Br. J. Pharmacol. 135:1627–1633. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Prevention of concentric hypertrophy and diastolic impairment in aortic-banded rats treated with resveratrol. Am. J. Physiol. Heart Circ. Physiol. 292:H2138–H2143. , , and .
- 2003. Nutraceutical–definition and introduction. AAPS PharmSci. 5:E25.
- 2009. Synthesis and biological evaluation of a library of resveratrol analogues as inhibitors of COX-1, COX-2 and NF-kappaB. Bioorg. Med. Chem. 17:1044–1054. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Bilberry juice modulates plasma concentration of NF-kappaB related inflammatory markers in subjects at increased risk of CVD. Eur. J. Nutr. 49:345–355. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. The cardiovascular nutrapharmacology of resveratrol: pharmacokinetics, molecular mechanisms and therapeutic potential. Curr. Med. Chem. 17:2442–2455. , , , , and .
- 2006. Resveratrol improves mitochondrial function and protects against metabolic disease by activating SIRT1 and PGC-1alpha. Cell 127:1109–1122. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Effect of cis-resveratrol on genes involved in nuclear factor kappa B signaling. Int. Immunopharmacol. 5:393–406. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Isorhapontigenin, a new resveratrol analog, attenuates cardiac hypertrophy via blocking signaling transduction pathways. Free Radic. Biol. Med. 38:243–257. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Cardiovascular effects and molecular targets of resveratrol. Nitric Oxide 26:102–110. , , and .
- 2013. Alpha-calcitonin gene-related peptide is protective against pressure overload-induced heart failure. Regul. Pept. 185:20–28. , , , , and .
- 2004. Molecular genetics and genomics of heart failure. Nat. Rev. Genet. 5:811–825. , and .
- 1994. Increased circulating cytokines in patients with myocarditis and cardiomyopathy. Br. Heart J. 72:561–566. , , , , and .
- 2013. Mast cell inhibition attenuates myocardial damage, adverse remodeling, and dysfunction during fulminant myocarditis in the rat. J. Cardiovasc. Pharmacol. Ther. 18:152–161. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Resveratrol protects adult cardiomyocytes against oxidative stress mediated cell injury. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 527:74–80. , , , , and .
- 2006. NADPH oxidase-dependent redox signalling in cardiac hypertrophy, remodelling and failure. Cardiovasc. Res. 71: 208–215. , , , and .
- 2008. Sirt1 protects against high-fat diet-induced metabolic damage. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 105:9793–9798. , , , , and .
- 2006. Nutraceuticals–an emerging era in the treatment and prevention of cardiovascular diseases. Curr. Pharm. Biotechnol. 7:15–23. , , , and .
- 2011. Resveratrol improves survival, hemodynamics and energetics in a rat model of hypertension leading to heart failure. PLoS ONE 6:e26391. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Nutrient control of glucose homeostasis through a complex of PGC-1alpha and SIRT1. Nature 434:113–118. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Concentric left ventricular remodeling in endothelial nitric oxide synthase knockout mice by chronic pressure overload. Cardiovasc. Res. 66:444–453. , , , , and .
- 2002. Structural and functional implications of the phospholamban hinge domain: impaired SR Ca2+ uptake as a primary cause of heart failure. Cardiovasc. Res. 56: 248–259. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Chronic intake of a phytochemical-enriched diet reduces cardiac fibrosis and diastolic dysfunction caused by prolonged salt-sensitive hypertension. J. Gerontol. A Biol. Sci. Med. Sci. 63:1034–1042. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Resveratrol and curcumin suppress immune response through CD28/CTLA-4 and CD80 co-stimulatory pathway. Clin. Exp. Immunol. 147:155–163. , , , and .
- 2013. Oxidative stress and DNA damage signalling in skeletal muscle in pressure-induced deep tissue injury. Pflugers Arch. 465:295–317. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Role of oxidative stress in cardiac hypertrophy and remodeling. Hypertension 49:241–248. , and .
- 2008. New pharmacologic therapies for acute heart failure. Crit. Care Med. 36(1 Suppl.):S112–S120. , , , , and .
- 2010. Resveratrol prevents the development of pathological cardiac hypertrophy and contractile dysfunction in the SHR without lowering blood pressure. Am. J. Hypertens. 23:192–196. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Emerging drug therapies for the management of acute decompensated heart failure. Tenn. Med. 100:33–37.
- 2009. Resveratrol attenuates mitochondrial oxidative stress in coronary arterial endothelial cells. Am. J. Physiol. Heart Circ. Physiol. 297:H1876–H1881. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Free radicals and antioxidants in normal physiological functions and human disease. Int. J. Biochem. Cell Biol. 39:44–84. , , , , , and .
- 2001. hSIR2(SIRT1) functions as an NAD-dependent p53 deacetylase. Cell 107:149–159. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Hypoxia-inducible factor-1alpha and vascular endothelial growth factor in the cardioprotective effects of intermittent hypoxia in rats. Ups. J. Med. Sci. 118:65–74. , and .
- 2010. Resveratrol arrests and regresses the development of pressure overload- but not volume overload-induced cardiac hypertrophy in rats. J. Nutr. 140:962–968. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Aortic constriction exacerbates atherosclerosis and induces cardiac dysfunction in mice lacking apolipoprotein E. Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 22:469–475. , , , , and .
- 2012. Triterpenoid dihydro-CDDO-trifluoroethyl amide protects against maladaptive cardiac remodeling and dysfunction in mice: a critical role of Nrf2. PLoS ONE 7:e44899. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Modulation of NF-kappaB-dependent transcription and cell survival by the SIRT1 deacetylase. EMBO J. 23:2369–2380. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. MicroRNA expression and function in cardiac ischemic injury. J. Cardiovasc. Transl. Res. 3:241–245. , and .
- 2007. Inducible nitric oxide synthase deficiency protects the heart from systolic overload-induced ventricular hypertrophy and congestive heart failure. Circ. Res. 100:1089–1098. , , , , , and .