Cre/loxP-mediated inactivation of the bHLH transcription factor gene NeuroD/BETA2
Article first published online: 18 JUL 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 42, Issue 4, pages 247–252, August 2005
How to Cite
Goebbels, S., Bode, U., Pieper, A., Funfschilling, U., Schwab, M. H. and Nave, K.-A. (2005), Cre/loxP-mediated inactivation of the bHLH transcription factor gene NeuroD/BETA2. Genesis, 42: 247–252. doi: 10.1002/gene.20138
- Issue published online: 20 JUL 2005
- Article first published online: 18 JUL 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 APR 2005
- Manuscript Received: 24 FEB 2005
- European Union; BMBF
- Marie-Curie Fellowship
- 1994. NEX-1: a novel brain-specific helix-loop-helix protein with autoregulation and sustained expression in mature cortical neurons. Mech Dev 48: 217–228. , .
- 2004. NeuroD: the predicted and the surprising. Mol Cells 18: 271–288. , , .
- 2004. The role of BETA2/NeuroD1 in the development of the nervous system. Mol Neurobiol 30: 35–47. , .
- 2002. Cre-mediated recombination in rhombic lip derivatives. genesis 33: 160–169. , .
- 2000. Cre-mediated germline mosaicism: a method allowing rapid generation of several alleles of a target gene. Nucleic Acids Res 28: E92. , , , , , , .
- 2001. NeuroD-null mice are deaf due to a severe loss of the inner ear sensory neurons during development. Development 128: 417–426. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Efficient in vivo manipulation of mouse genomic sequences at the zygote stage. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93: 5860–5865. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Conversion of Xenopus ectoderm into neurons by NeuroD, a basic helix-loop-helix protein. Science 268: 836–844. , , , , , .
- 2000. Expression of NeuroD/BETA2 in mitotic and postmitotic neuronal cells during the development of nervous System. Dev Dyn 217: 361–367. , , , , , .
- 2001. Conditional control of gene expression in the mouse. Nat Rev Genet 2: 743–755. .
- 2000. Loss of BETA2/NeuroD leads to malformation of the dentate gyrus and epilepsy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97: 865–870. , , , , , , .
- 1999. NeuroD is required for differentiation of the granule cells in the cerebellum and hippocampus. Genes Dev 13: 1647–1652. , , .
- 1997. The basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor BETA2/NeuroD is expressed in mammalian enteroendocrine cells and activates secretin gene expression. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94: 3560–3664. , , , , , .
- 2000. Cre recombinase: the universal reagent for genome tailoring. genesis 26: 99–109. .
- 1995. Tissue-specific regulation of the insulin gene by a novel basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor. Genes Dev 15: 1009–1019. , , .
- 1997. Diabetes, defective pancreatic morphogenesis, and abnormal enteroendocrine differentiation in BETA2/neuroD-deficient mice. Genes Dev 15: 2323–2334. , , , , , , .
- 2003. BETA2/NeuroD1 null mice: a new model for transcription factor-dependent photoreceptor degeneration. J Neurosci 23: 453–461. , , , , , , .
- 1997. NeuroD1/beta2 contributes to cell-specific transcription of the proopiomelanocortin gene. Mol Cell Biol 17: 6673–6682. , , .
- 1998. Inducible gene targeting in mice using the Cre/lox system. Methods 14: 381–392. .
- 1998. Neuronal basic helix-loop-helix proteins (NEX, neuroD, NDRF): spatiotemporal expression and targeted disruption of the NEX gene in transgenic mice. J Neurosci 18: 1408–1418. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Neuronal bHLH proteins (NEX and BETA2/NeuroD) regulate terminal granule cell differentiation in the hippocampus. J Neurosci 20: 3714–3724. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Differential expression patterns of the basic helix-loop-helix transcription factors during aging of the murine brain. Neurosci Lett 280: 95–98. , .
- 2003. Generation of a floxed allele of Smad5 for cre-mediated conditional knockout in the mouse. genesis 37: 5–11. , , , , , .
- 2001. Direct removal in the mouse of a floxed neo gene from a three-loxP conditional knockout allele by two novel approaches. Genesis 30: 1–6. , , , , , .
- 1996. Molecular cloning and characterization of a cDNA encoding a novel basic helix-loop-helix protein structurally related to Neuro-D/BHF1. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 220: 754–758. , , , , , , .