These authors contributed equally to this work.
Disease model distortion in association studies
Article first published online: 17 MAR 2011
© 2011 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 35, Issue 4, pages 278–290, May 2011
How to Cite
Vukcevic, D., Hechter, E., Spencer, C. and Donnelly, P. (2011), Disease model distortion in association studies. Genet. Epidemiol., 35: 278–290. doi: 10.1002/gepi.20576
- Issue published online: 6 APR 2011
- Article first published online: 17 MAR 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 JAN 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 15 DEC 2010
- Manuscript Received: 13 AUG 2010
- Wellcome Trust. Grant Numbers: 085475/Z/08/Z, 085475/Z/08/Z, 075491/Z/04
- Rhodes Trust and Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan
- Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at [http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/author resources/onlineopen.html]
- 2007. The effects of SNP genotyping errors on the power of the Cochran-Armitage linear trend test for case/control association studies. Ann Hum Genet 71:249–261. , , , , , .
- 1955. Tests for linear trends in proportions and frequencies. Biometrics 11:375–386. .
- 2006. A tutorial on statistical methods for population association studies. Nat Rev Genet 7:781–791. .
- 2008. Estimating coverage and power for genetic association studies using near-complete variation data. Nat Genet 40:841–843. , , .
- 2010. Prioritizing GWAS results: A review of statistical methods and recommendations for their application. Am J Hum Genet 86:6–22. , , .
- 2003. Detecting disease associations due to linkage disequilibrium using haplotype tags: a class of tests and the determinants of statistical power. Hum Hered 56:18–31. , , , .
- 1974. Theoretical Statistics. London: Chapman and Hall. , .
- ENCODE Project Consortium. 2004. The ENCODE (ENCyclopedia Of DNA Elements) Project. Science 306:636–640.
- 2008. Data and theory point to mainly additive genetic variance for complex traits. PLoS Genet 4:e1000008. , , .
- http://www.genome.gov/gwastudies/. Accessed March 2010. , , , . 2010. A catalog of published genome-wide association studies. Available at:
- 2008. What can genome-wide association studies tell us about the genetics of common disease? PLoS Genet 4:e33. .
- International HapMap Consortium. 2005. A haplotype map of the human genome. Nature 437:1299–1320.
- International HapMap Consortium. 2007. A second generation human haplotype map of over 3.1 million SNPs. Nature 449:851–861.
- 1992. Approximate Bayes factors and orthogonal parameters, with application to testing equality of two binomial proportions. J R Stat Soc Ser B 54:129–144. , .
- 2005. Genome-wide strategies for detecting multiple loci that influence complex diseases. Nat Genet 37:413–417. , , .
- 2001. Linkage disequilibrium in humans: models and data. Am J Hum Genet 69:1–14. , .
- R Development Core Team. 2009. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing. http://www.r-project.org/.
- 1997. From genotypes to genes: doubling the sample size. Biometrics 53:1253–1261. .
- 1993. Risk ratio and rate ratio estimation in case-cohort designs: hypertension and cardiovascular mortality. Stat Med 12:1733–1745. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Power of linkage versus association analysis of quantitative traits, by use of variance-components models, for sibship data. Am J Hum Genet 66:1616–1630. , , , .
- 2009. Designing genome-wide association studies: sample size, power, imputation, and the choice of genotyping chip. PLoS Genet 5:e1000477. , , , .
- 2009. Bayesian statistical methods for genetic association studies. Nat Rev Genet 10:681–690. , .
- Wellcome Trust Case Control Consortium. 2007. Genome-wide association study of 14,000 cases of seven common diseases and 3,000 shared controls. Nature 447:661–678.
- 2009. Robust tests in genome-wide scans under incomplete linkage disequilibrium. Stat Sci 24:503–516. , , , , .
- 2004. The complex interplay among factors that influence allelic association. Nat Rev Genet 5:89–100. , .