[The copyright line for this article was changed on 17 July 2014 after original online publication.]
Identification of Grouped Rare and Common Variants via Penalized Logistic Regression
Version of Record online: 8 JUL 2013
© 2013 The Authors. *Genetic Epidemiology published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 37, Issue 6, pages 592–602, September 2013
How to Cite
Ayers, K. L. and Cordell, H. J. (2013), Identification of Grouped Rare and Common Variants via Penalized Logistic Regression. Genet. Epidemiol., 37: 592–602. doi: 10.1002/gepi.21746
- Issue online: 11 AUG 2013
- Version of Record online: 8 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 24 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 20 DEC 2012
- Wellcome Trust. Grant Number: 087436
- 2010. SNP selection in genome-wide and candidate gene studies via penalized logistic regression. Genet Epidemiol 34: 879–891. , .
- 2010. Statistical analysis strategies for association studies involving rare variants. Nat Rev Genet 11: 773–785. , , , .
- 2008. Simultaneous regression shrinkage, variable selection, and supervised clustering of predictors with oscar. Biometrics 64: 115–123. , .
- 2012. Joint association testing of common and rare genetic variants using heirarchical modeling. Genet Epidemiol 36: 642–651. , , .
- 2012. Link functions in multi-locus genetic models: implications for testing, prediction, and interpretation. Genet Epidemiol 36: 409–418. .
- 2007. Pathwise coordinate optimization. Ann Appl Statist 1: 302–32. , , , .
- 2010a. A note on the group lasso and sparse group lasso. Technical report, Department of Statistics, Stanford University. , , .
- 2010b. Regularization paths for generalized linear models via coordinate descent. J Statist Software 33: 1–22. , , .
- 2005. Sparse logistic regression for text categorization. DIMACS Working Group on Monitoring Message Streams Project Report, April 2005. , , .
- 2009. A data-adaptive sum test for disease association with multiple common or rare variants. Hum Hered 70: 42–54. , .
- 1970. Ridge regression: biased estimation for nonorthogonal problems. Technometrics 12: 55–67. , .
- 2007. Sequence-level population simulations over large genomic regions. Genetics 177: 1725–1731. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Simultaneous analysis of all SNPs in genome-wide and re-sequencing studies. PLoS Genet 4(7):e1000130. , , , .
- 1992. Ridge estimators in logistic regression. Appl Statist 41: 191–201. , .
- NHLBI GO Exome Sequencing Project-ESP Lung Project Team, , , . 2012. Optimal unified approach for rare-variant association testing with application to small-sample case-control whole-exome sequencing studies. Am J Hum Genet 91: 224–237. , , , , , ,
- 2008. Methods for detecting associations with rare variants for common diseases: application to analysis of sequence data. Am J Hum Genet 83: 311–321. , .
- 2010. The Bayesian lasso for genome-wide association studies. Bioinformatics 27: 516–523. , , , , .
- 2011. A general framework for detecting disease associations with rare variants in sequencing studies. Am J Hum Genet 89: 354–367. , .
- 2009. A groupwise association test for rare mutations using a weighted sum statistic. PLoS Genet 5(2):e1000384. , .
- 2008. Accommodating linkage disequilibrium in genetic-association analyses via ridge regression. Am J Hum Genet 82: 375–385. , , .
- 2008. Genome-wide association studies: potential next steps on a genetic journey. Hum Mol Genet 17: R156–R165. , .
- 2008. The group lasso for logistic regression. J R Statis Soc Ser B 70: 53–71. , , .
- 2007. A strategy to discover genes that carry multi-allelic or mono-allelic risk for common diseases: a cohort allelic sums test (cast). Mutat Res 615: 28–56. , .
- 2009. An evaluation of statistical approaches to rare variant analysis in genetic association studies. Genet Epidemiol 34: 188–193. , .
- 2010. Extended Bayesian LASSO for multiple quantitative trait loci mapping and unobserved phenotype prediction. Genetics 186: 1067–1075. , .
- 2011. Bayesian shinkage analysis of qtls under shape-adaptive shrinkage priors, and accurate re-estimation of genetic effects. Heredity 107: 405–412. , .
- 2011. Testing for an unusual distribution of rare variants. PLoS Genet 7: e1001322. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Including known covariates can reduce power to detect genetic effects in case-control studies. Nat Genet 44: 848–851. , , .
- 2010. Pooled association tests for rare variants in exon-resequencing studies. Am J Hum Genet 86: 832–838. , , , , , , .
- 2007. PLINK: a tool set for whole-genome association and population-based linkage analyses. Am J Hum Genet 81: 559–575. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Detecting association of rare and common variants by testing an optimally weighted combination of variants. Genet Epidemiol 36: 567–571. , , , .
- Alzheimer's Disease Neuroimaging Initiative. 2012. Fast identification of biological pathways associated with a quantitative trait using group lasso with overlaps. Stat Appl Genet Mol Biol 11: 1–43. , ,
- 2010. Genome-wide mulitple loci mapping in experimental crosses by the iterative adaptive penalized regression. Genetics 185: 349–359. , , .
- 1996. Regression shrinkage via the lasso. J R Statis Soc 58: 267–88. .
- 2011. Rare-variant association testing for sequencing data with the sequence kernel association test. Am J Hum Genet 89: 82–93. , , , , , .
- 2009. Genome-wide association analysis by lasso penalized logistic regression. Bioinformatics 25: 714–21. , , , , .
- 2008. Coordinate descent algorithms for lasso penalized regression. Ann Appl Statist 2: 224–44. , .
- 2010. An expectation maximization algorithm for the Lasso estimation of quantitative trait locus effects. Heredity 105: 483–494. .
- 2011. Hierarchical generalized linear models for multiple groups of rare and common variants: jointly estimating group and individual-variant effects. PLoS Genet 7(12):e1002382. , , , .
- 2008. Bayesian LASSO for quantitative trait loci mapping. Genetics 179: 1045–1055. , .
- 2011. Bayesian analysis of rare variants in genetic association studies. Genet Epidemiol 35: 57–69. , .
- 2006. Model selection and estimation in regression with grouped variables. J R Statis Soc Ser B 68: 49–67. , .
- 2011. Penalized regression for genome-wide association screening of sequence data. Pac Symp Biocomput 2011: 106–117. , , , , , .
- 2010. Association screening of common and rare genetic variants by penalized regression. Bioinformatics 26(19):2375–2382. , , , .
- 2005. Regularization and variable selection via the elastic net. J R Statis Soc Ser B 67: 301–320. , .