Large earthquake-triggered liquefaction mounds and a carbonate sand volcano in the Mesoproterozoic Wumishan Formation, Beijing, North China
Article first published online: 25 MAR 2013
Copyright © 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume 49, Issue 1, pages 69–89, January/February 2014
How to Cite
Su, D., Qiao, X., Sun, A., Li, H. and Somerville, I. D. (2014), Large earthquake-triggered liquefaction mounds and a carbonate sand volcano in the Mesoproterozoic Wumishan Formation, Beijing, North China. Geol. J., 49: 69–89. doi: 10.1002/gj.2501
- Issue published online: 6 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 25 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 29 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 21 NOV 2012
- 2005. A seismite in Triassic gypsum deposits (Grabfeld Formation, Ladinian), southwestern Germany. Sedimentary Geology 180, 75–89. ,
- 2011. Syndepositional tectonics recorded by soft-sediment deformation and liquefaction structures (continental Lower Permian sediments, Southern Alps, Northern Italy): Stratigraphic significance. Sedimentary Geology 235, 249–263. ,
- 1998. Soft-sediment deformations structures interpreted as seismites in the uppermost Aptian to lowermost Albian transgressive deposits of the Chihuahua Basin (Mexico). Geologisches Rundschau 86, 875–883. , ,
- 2009. Mud volcano eruptions and earthquakes in the Northern Apennines and Sicily, Italy. Tectonophysics 474, 723–735.
- Bureau of Geology and Mineral Resources of Beijing Municipality. 1991. Regional Geology of Beijing Municipality. Geological Publishing House: Beijing, 68–81 (In Chinese, with English Abstract).
- 2007. Active tectonics of the Beichuan and Pengguan faults at the eastern margin of the Tibetan Plateau. Tectonics 26, TC4005. DOI: 10.1029/2006TC001987. , , , , ,
- 2011. Soft-sediment deformation in epicontinental carbonates as evidence of paleoseismicity with evidence for a possible new seismogenic indicator: Accordion folds. Sedimentary Geology 235, 222–233. , , ,
- 2000. New empirical relationships between magnitude and distance for liquefaction. Tectonophyiscs 324, 169–187.
- 2007. A new SHRIMP age of the Xiamaling Formation in the North China Plate and its geological significance. Acta Geologica Sinica 81, 1103–1109. , , , , ,
- 2008. SHRIMP zircon ages: Basis for refining the chronostratigraphic classification of the Meso- and Neoproterozoic strata in North China Old Land. Acta Geoscientica Sinica 29, 366–376 (In Chinese, with English Abstract). , , , , , , , ,
- 1958. Sand volcanoes on slump deposits in the Carboniferous of County Clare, Ireland. Quarterly Journal of the Geological Society of London 133, 441–460. ,
- 2000. Early synsedimentary faulting of the Meso-Proterozoic Yanshan rift and its influence on event sedimentation. Journal of Palaeogeography 2, 83–91 (In Chinese, with English Abstract). , , , , ,
- 2011. The paleo-weathering mantle of the Proterozoic rapakivi granite in Miyun County, Beijing and the relationship with the Changzhougou Formation of Changchengian System. Earth Science Frontiers 18, 123–130 (In Chinese, with English Abstract). , , , ,
- 1983. Eathquake-induced deformational structures in young lacustrine sediments. East Anatolian Fault, southeast Turkey. Tectonophysics 98, 7–14. ,
- 2002. Mechanism and controls on the formation of sand intrusions. Journal of the Geological Society of London 159, 605–617. ,
- 1934. Preliminary notes on Sinian stratigraphy of North China. Bulletin of Geological Society of China 13, 243–288. , ,
- 2010. Zircon U–Pb dating on tuff bed from Gaoyuzhuang Formation in Yanqing, Beijing: Further constraints on the new subdivision of the Mesoproterozoic stratigraphy in the North China Craton. Acta Petrologica Sinica 26, 2131–2140. , , , , , , , ,
- 2002. Discovery of Mesoproterozoic seismites at Baishi Mountain, Hebei Province and its geological significance. Geological Bulletin of China 21, 625–630. , , ,
- 2009. Seismic-tsunami sequence and its geological features of Mesoproterozoic Wumishan Formation in Fangshan Global Geopark, Beijing, China: a case study on Yesanpo scenic district. Geological Bulletin of China 28, 30–37 (In Chinese, with English Abstract). , , , , ,
- 2001. Seismite and its rhythm in the Gaoyuzhuang Formation of Mesoproterozoic in Pingquan County, Hebei Province. Geoscience 15, 266–269 (In Chinese, with English Abstract).
- 2007. Plate tectonic map of China's lithosphere. In: Geological Atlas of China, Ma, L.F., Qiao, X.F., Min, L.R., Fan, B.X., Ding, X.Z. (eds). Geological Publishing House: China, 41–44 (in Chinese). ,
- 2009. Soft-sediment deformational structures in siliciclastic sediments: An overview. Geologos 15(1), 3–55.
- 2011. Abraded sand volcanoes as a tool for recognizing paleo-earthquakes, with examples from the Cisuralian Talchir Formation near Angul (Orissa, eastern India). Sedimentary Geology 238, 145–155 ,
- 1991. A precise U–Pb single zircon age determination for the volcanics of the Dahongyu Formation, Changcheng System in Jixian. Chinese Academy of Geological Science Bulletin 22, 137–146 (In Chinese, with English Abstract). ,
- 2009. Earthquake triggering of mud volcanoes. Marine and Petroleum Geology 26, 1785–1798. , ,
- 2011. Earthquake-induced soft-sediment deformation structures in Upper Jurassic open-marine microbialites (Neuquén Basin, Argentina). Sedimentary Geology 235, 210–221. , , ,
- 1996. Seismically induced soft-sediment structures (seismites) around Sumdo in the lower Spiti valley (Tethys Himalaya). Sedimentary Geology 101, 69–83. ,
- 2007. Seismites: An attempt at critical analysis and classification. Sedimentary Geology 196, 5–30. , , ,
- 1999. Modelling seismites with a digital shaking table. Tectonophysics 304, 369–383. , , ,
- 1994. Experimental studies of the fluidization of layered sediments and the formation of fluid escape structures. Sedimentology 41, 233–253. , ,
- 1996. Use of liquefaction-induced features for paleoseismic analysis – an overview of how seismic liquefaction features can be distinguished from other features and how their regional distribution and properties of source sediment can be used to infer the location and strength of Holocene paleo-earthquakes. Engineering Geology 44, 1–76.
- 1998. Liquefaction evidence for strong earthquakes of Holocene and latest Pleistocene ages in the states of Indiana and Illinois, USA. Engineering Geology 50, 227–254.
- 1987. Deformation processes in unconsolidated sands. In: Deformation of Sediments and Sedimentary Rocks, Jones, M.E., Preston, R.M.F. (eds), Geological Society, London, Special Publication 29, 11–24.
- 1996. Experimental soft-sediment deformation: structures formed by liquefaction of unconsolidated sands and some ancient examples. Sedimentology 43, 279–294.
- 2002. Intraplate seismic belt and basin framework of Sino-Korean plate in the Proterozoic. Earth Science Frontiers 9, 141–150 (In Chinese, with English Abstract).
- 2007. Mesoproterozoic palaeoearthquake and palaeogeography in Yan-Liao Aulacogen. Journal of Palaeogeography 9, 337–352 (In Chinese, with English Abstract). ,
- 2009. Effect of earthquake and ancient seismites on sediments. Journal of Palaeogeography 11, 593–610 (In Chinese, with English Abstract). , .
- 2007. Mesoproterozoic earthquake events and breakup of the Sino-Korean Plate. Acta Geologica Sinica (English Edition) 81, 385–397. , ,
- 2002. Configuration of Columbia, a Mesoproterozoic supercontinent. Gondwana Research 5, 5–22. ,
- 2000. Deciphering the sedimentological imprint of paleoseismic events: An example from the Aptian Codo´ Formation, northern Brazil. Sedimentary Geology 135, 137–156. ,
- 2008. The geological evolution of the Tibetan Plateau. Science 321(5892), 1054–1058. , ,
- 1975. Determining earthquake recurrence intervals from deformational structures in young lacustrine sediments. Tectonophysics 29, 141–152.
- 1988. A probable earthquake-tsunami sequence in Precambrian carbonate strata of Ming Tombs District, Beijing. Chinese Science Bulletin 33, 1121–1124.
- 1996. Proterozoic sedimentary facies and their depositional environments in the Ming Tombs District, Beijing. In: Field trip Guide T201 of the 30th International Geological Congress. Geological Publishing House: Beijing, T201.1–T201.22. ,
- 2009. Ancient Earthquake Records and Litho-Palaeogeography. Acta Sedimentologica Sinica 27, 872–879. ,
- 2011. Soft-sediment deformation and occurrence frequency of palaeoearthquake in the Mesoproterozoic Wumishan Formation, Yongding River Valley, Beijing. Journal of Palaeogeography (Chinese Edition) 13, 591–614 (In Chinese, with English Abstract). ,
- 2012. Typical earthquake-induced soft-sediment deformation structures in the Mesoproterozoic Wumishan Fm., Yongding River valley (China) and interpreted earthquake frequency. Journal of Palaeogeography (English Edition) 1, 71–89. ,
- 2008. SHRIMP U–Pb ages of K-bentonite beds in the Xiamaling Formation: Implications for revised subdivision of the Meso- to Neoproterozoic history of the North China Craton. Gondwana Research 14, 543–553. , , , , , , , , ,
- 2010. SHRIMP U–Pb dating for a K-bentonite bed in the Tieling Formation, North China. Chinese Science Bulletin 55, 3312–3323. , , , , , ,
- 2000. A new phenomenon in ancient liquefaction – The draw-in process, its final stage. Sedimentary Geology 135, 157–165. , ,
- 1995. The forming ages of Yangzhuang and Wumishan Formations in the Jixian section, Northern China. Scientia Geologica Sinica 30, 166–173 (In Chinese, with English Abstract). , , , ,
- 1997. The failed rift model and stratigraphic division of Middle–Upper Proterozoic strata in the northern part of North China. Progress in Precambrian Research (In Chinese) 20, 21–28.
- 1973. Liquefaction, flow, and associated ground failure. US Geological Survey Circular 688, 1–12.
- 1984. Isotopic Geochronology Research on the Late Cambrian in Yanshan Area. Bulletin of the Geology and Mineral Resources of Tianjin 11, 1–23 (In Chinese). ,
- 2007. Earthquake-induced soft-sediment deformation structures in the Mesoproterozoic Wumishan Formation, North China, and their geologic implications. Science in China (Series D) 50, 350–358. , , , , ,