Destruction of the North China Craton: a perspective based on receiver function analysis
Article first published online: 10 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Geological Journal published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 50, Issue 1, pages 93–103, January/February 2015
How to Cite
2015), Destruction of the North China Craton: a perspective based on receiver function analysis, Geol. J., 50, 93–103, doi: 10.1002/gj.2530, , , , and (
- Issue published online: 21 JAN 2015
- Article first published online: 10 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 31 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 25 APR 2013
- National Nature Science Foundation of China. Grant Number: 41174081
- SinoProbe-Deep Exploration in China. Grant Number: SinoProbe-08
- 1996. The excess temperature of plumes rising from the core-mantle boundary. Geophysical Research Letters 23, 3567–3570. ,
- 1997. Early Cenozoic two-phase extension and late Cenozoic thermal subsidence and inversion of the Bohai Basin, North China. Marine Petroleum Geology 14, 951–972. , , , ,
- 2000. Deep seismic reflection evidence for ancient subduction and collision zones within the continental lithosphere of northwestern Europe. Tectonophysics 329, 269–300.
- 2007. Moho depth and crustal Vp/Vs variation in Southern Korea from teleseismic receiver functions: implication for tectonic affinity. Bulletin of Seismology Society America 97, 1621–1631. ,
- 2009. Lithospheric structure variations between the eastern and central North China Craton from S- and P-receiver function migration. Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors 173, 216–227.
- 2010. Concordant structural variations from the surface to the base of the upper mantle in the North China Craton and its tectonic implications. Lithos 120, 96–115.
- 2009. Discontinuity structure of the mantle transition zone beneath the North China Craton from receiver function migration. Journal of Geophysical Research 114, B06307. DOI: 10.1029/2008JB006221. ,
- 1991. Three dimensional crust and upper mantle structure of the North China region. Acta Geophysical Sinica 34, 172–181 (in Chinese with English abstract). , , , , , , ,
- 2006. A thinned lithospheric image of the Tanlu Fault Zone, eastern China: constructed from wave equation based receiver function migration. Journal of Geophysical Research 111, B09312. DOI: 10.1029/2005JB003974. , ,
- 2008. Distinct lateral variation of lithospheric thickness in the Northeastern North China Craton. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 267, 56–68. , , ,
- 1996. Poisson's ratio and crustal seismology. Journal of Geophysical Research 101, 3139–3156.
- 2000. Frozen subduction in Canada's Northwest Territories: lithoprobe deep lithospheric reflection profiling of the western Canadian Shield. Tectonics 18, 1–24. , , ,
- 2007. A upper crustal response to Mesozoic tectonism in the western Liaoning, North China, and implication for lithospheric delamination. In: Mesozoic Sub-Continental Lithospheric Thinning Under Eastern Asia, Zhai, M.G., Windley, B.F., Kusky, T.M., Meng, Q.R. (eds). Geological Society, London, Special Publications, 280, 201–222. ,
- 1994. Lithosphere root/derooting and activation of the East China continent. Geoscience-Journal of Graduate School, China University of Geosciences 8, 349–356 (in Chinese with English abstract). , , , ,
- 1996. Continental Roots-Plume Tectonics of China-Key to the Continental Dynamics. Geological Publishing House: Beijing; 1–96. , , ,
- 2004. A new model for the dynamic evolution of Chinese lithosphere: “continental roots–plume tectonics”. Earth-Science Reviews 65, 223–275. , , , , ,
- 2006. The nature of the 660-kilometer discontinuity in Earth's mantle from global seismic observations of PP precursors. Science 311, 198–201. , , ,
- 2000. On and off the North China Craton: where is the Archaean keel?. Journal of Petrology 41, 933–950. , , , , ,
- 2012. Are ‘hot spots’ hot spots?. Journal of Geodynamics 58, 1–28.
- 1998. How mafic is the lower continental crust?. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 161, 101–117. , , , , ,
- 2008. Recycling deep cratonic lithosphere and generation of intraplate magmatism in the North China Craton. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 270, 41–53. , , , , , , , , , ,
- 1998. Phanerozoic evolution of the lithosphere beneath the Sino-Korean Craton. In: Mantle Dynamics and Plate Interactions in East Asia, Flower, M., Chung, S.L., Lo, C.H., Lee, T.Y. (eds). American Geophysics Union Geodynamics Series 27, 107–126. , ,
- 2004. Age and Nd–Sr isotopic geochemistry of the Guangtoushan alkaline granite, Hebei Province, China: implications for early Mesozoic crust–mantle interaction in North China Block. Acta Petrologica Sinica 20, 1375–1388 (in Chinese with English abstract). ,
- 2010. Seismic evidence for plume and subducting slab in West Yunnan, Southwestern China. Acta Petrologica Sinica (English Edition) 85, 801–840.
- 2013a. Seismic evidence for a geosuture between the Yangtze and Cathaysia Blocks, South China. Scientific Reports 3. DOI: 10.1038/srep02200. , , ,
- 2013b. Seismic evidence for plume-induced rifting in the Songliao basin of Northeast China. Tectonophysics. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tecto.2013.07.015. , , , ,
- 1977. Evolution of the western Pacific and its margin. Tectonophysics 38, 145–165. , ,
- 2009. Destruction of the North China Craton: evidence from the Bohai Bay Basin. In: Hou, G., Rosenbaum, G. (eds) General Contributions. Journal of the Virtual Explorer, Electronic Edition, ISSN 1441–8142 31, paper 2. DOI: 10.3809/jvirtex.2009.00243. , ,
- 2010. Reconciling Pacific 410 and 660 km discontinuity topography, transition zone shear velocity patterns, and mantle phase transitions. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 296, 255–266. ,
- 2003. Rayleigh wave tomography of China and adjacent regions. Journal of Geophysical Research 108(B2), 2073. DOI: 10.1029/2001JB001696. , , , ,
- 2009. Mantle transition zone structure beneath Kenya and Tanzania: more evidence for a deep-seated thermal upwelling in the mantle. Geophysical Journal International 177, 1249–1255. , ,
- 1993. Delamination and delamination magmatism. Tectonophysics 219, 177–189. ,
- 1991. Travel times for global earthquake location and phase identification. Geophysical Journal International 105, 429–465. ,
- 1979. Structure under Mount Rainier, Washington, inferred from teleseismic body waves. Journal of Geophysical Research 84, 4749–4762.
- 2005. Asymmetric diagenetic changes in a half-graben basin: the Kanmon Group (Lower Cretaceous), SW Japan. Cretaceous Research 26, 73–84. , ,
- 2013. Destruction of North China Craton: insights from temporal and spatial evolution of the proto-basins and magmatism. Science in China Series D. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11430-012-4534-9.
- 2007. Collision leading to multiple-stage large-scale extrusion in the Qinling Orogen: insights from the Mianlue Suture. Gondwana Research 12(1–2), 121–143. , , , , , , ,
- 2012. Cenozoic faulting of the Bohai Bay Basin and its bearing on the destruction of the eastern North China Craton. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences 47, 80–93. , , , , , ,
- 2013. Detrital zircons reveal no Jurassic plateau in the eastern North China Craton. Gondwana Research. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.gr.2012.12.007. , , , ,
- 2004. Tomographic inversion of Pn travel-times in China. Journal of Geophysical Research 109, B11304. DOI: 10.1029/2003JB002789. , ,
- 2009. Contrasting geochemistry of the Cretaceous volcanic suites in Shandong province and its implications for the Mesozoic lower crust delamination in the eastern North China craton. Lithos 113, 640–658. , , , , , , ,
- 2001. 3-D tomographic images and deep ore-control in northern margin of the North China plate. Resource Geology 51, 401–406. ,
- 2004. Mesozoic tectonics and basin distribution in the eastern North China Plate. Marine Geology & Quaternary Geology 24, 45–54. , , , ,
- 2004. Cenozoic rifting and volcanism in eastern China: a mantle dynamic link to the Indo-Asian collision?. Tectonophysics 393, 29–42. , ,
- 2010. Permian-Triassic (260–220 Ma) crustal growth of eastern central Asian Orogenic Belt as revealed by detrital zircon studies. American Journal of Science 310, 364–404. , , ,
- 1998. Geodynamics of the North China Craton. In: Mantle Dynamics and Plate Interactions in East Asia,, Flower M.F.J., Chung, S.L., Lo, C.H., Lee, T.Y. (eds.). American Geophysical Union, Geodynamics Series 27, 155–165. ,
- 1993. Palaeozoic and Cenozoic lithoprobe and the loss of >120 km of Archean lithosphere, Sino-Korean craton, China. In: Magmatic Processes and Plate Tectonics, Prichard, H.M., Alabaster, T., Harris, N.B.W., Neary, C.R. (eds.) Geological Society, Special Publication 76, 71–81. , ,
- 2007. Integration of geology, geophysics and geochemistry: a key to understanding the North China Craton. Lithos 96, 1–21. , , ,
- 2006. Southern African crustal evolution and composition: constraints from receiver function studies. Journal of Geophysical Research 111, B02304. DOI: 10.1029/2005JB003802. , , ,
- 2002. Fine structure of the lowermost crust beneath the Kaapvaal craton and its implications for crustal formation and evolution. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 200(1–2), 121–130. ,
- 1984. Seismic evidence for ancient rift beneath the Cumberland plateau, Tennessee: a detailed analysis of broadband teleseismic P waveform. Journal of Geophysical Research 89, 7783–7795. ,
- 2005. New evidence for the Hawaiian hotspot plume motion since the Eocene. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 237, 951–959. DOI: 10.1016/j.epsl.2005.06.012. ,
- 2006. Seismic structure of Sri Lanka using receiver function analysis: a comparison with other high-grade Gondwana terrains. Gondwana Research 10, 198–202. , ,
- 2007. Ancient to modern earth: the role of mantle plume in the making of continental crust: Earth's Oldest Rocks. In: Developments in Precambrian Geology, Kranendonk, M.J.V., Smithies, R.H., Bennett, V.C. (eds). 15. DOI: 10.1016/S0166-2635(07)15083-0.
- 1987. Geotectonic Evolution of China. Science Press: Springer-Verlag, Hongkong. , , ,
- 2010. Assembling North China Craton within the Columbia supercontinent: the role of double-sided subduction. Precambrian Research 178, 149–167.
- 2013. Tectonic evolution of the North China Craton: introduction. Geological Journal 48, 403–405. DOI: 10.1002/gj.2518. ,
- 1998. Stability and growth of continental shields in mantle convection models including recurrent melt production. Tectonophysics 296, 15–29. , ,
- 1993. Anorogenic granites, magmatic underplating and the origin of intracratonic basins in a non-extensional setting. Tectonophysics 226, 285–299. , , ,
- 2004. Subduction initiation: spontaneous and induced. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 226, 275–292.
- 2007. Crustal root beneath the highlands of southern Norway resolved by teleseismic receiver functions. Geophysical Journal International 170, 1129–1138. , , , , ,
- 2010. Precambrian crustal evolution: seismic constraints from the Canadian Shield. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 297(3–4), 655–666. DOI: 10.1016/j.epsl.2010.07.021. , , , , , ,
- 2013. Regional variations in crustal thickness and Vp/Vs ratio beneath the central–western North China Craton and adjacent regions. Geological Journal 48, 531–542. DOI: 10.1002/gj.2473. , ,
- 2013. Tectonic evolution of a composite collision Orogen: an overview on the Qingling–Tongbai–Hong'an–Dabie–Sulu Orogenic Belt in central China. Gondwana Research 23, 1402–1428. ,
- 2005. Nature and significance of the Early Cretaceous giant igneous event in eastern China. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 233, 103–119. , , , ,
- 2008. Lithospheric thinning and destruction of the North China Craton. Acta Petrologica Sinica 24, 1145–1174. , , ,
- 2013. Paleozoic multiple accretionary and collisional tectonics of the Chinese Tianshan orogenic collage. Gondwana Research 23, 1316–1341. , , ,
- 2001. Thermotectonic destruction of the Archean lithospheric keel beneath eastern China: evidence, timing, and mechanism. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth A 26, 747–757.
- 2007. Diachronous lithospheric thinning of the North China Craton and formation of the Daxin'anling–Taihangshan gravity lineament. Lithos 96, 281–298.
- 2009. Upper-mantle velocity structure beneath the North China Craton: implications for lithospheric thinning. Geophysical Journal International 177, 1279–1283. ,
- 2002. Origin of Mesozoic adakitic intrusive rocks in the Ningzhen area of east China: partial melting of delaminated lower continental crust?. Geology 30, 1111–1114. , , , ,
- 2009. On the timing and duration of the destruction of the North China Craton. Chinese Science Bulletin 54, 3379–3396. , , ,
- 2012. Spatial extent of the influence of the deeply subducted South China Block on the southeastern North China Block: constraints from Sr–Nd–Pb isotopes in Mesozoic mafic igneous rocks. Lithos 136–139, 246–260. , , , ,
- 2009. Triassic magmatism and its relation to decratonization in the eastern North China Craton. Science in China Series D: Earth Sciences 52, 1319–1330. ,
- 2003. A review of the geodynamic setting of large-scale Late Mesozoic gold mineralization in the North China Craton: an association with lithospheric thinning. Ore Geology Reviews 23, 125–152. , ,
- 2006. Constraints on the timing of uplift of the Yanshan Fold and Thrust Belt, North China. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 246, 336–352. , , , , ,
- 2007. Petrogenesis of Late Triassic granitoids and their enclaves with implications for post-collisional lithospheric thinning of the Liaodong Peninsula, North China Craton. Chemical Geology 242, 155–175. , , ,
- 2010. Diachronous decratonization of the Sino-Korean Craton: geochemistry of mantle xenoliths from North Korea. Geology 38, 799–802. , , , , , ,
- 2012. Slab–mantle interaction for thinning of cratonic lithospheric mantle in North China: geochemical evidence from Cenozoic continental basalts in central Shandong. Lithos 155, 442–460. , ,
- 1997. Lithospheric and upper mantle structure of southern Tibet from a seismological passive source experiment. Journal of Geophysical Research 102, 27491–27500. , , , ,
- 1995. Continental crust composition constrained by measurements of crustal Poisson's ratio. Nature 374, 152–154. ,
- 2011. The Early Precambrian odyssey of the North China Craton: a synoptic overview. Gondwana Research 20, 6–25. ,
- 2007. Lower crustal processes leading to Mesozoic lithospheric thinning beneath eastern North China: underplating, replacement and delamination. Lithos 96, 36–54. , , , ,
- 1993. Geochemistry and genesis of kimberlite in the Tieling area, Liaoning Province. Geoscience 7, 458–464.
- 2007. Temporal and spatial distribution of Mesozoic mafic magmatism in the North China Craton and implication for secular lithospheric evolution. In: Mesozoic Sub-Continental Lithospheric Thinning under Eastern Asia, Zhai, M.G., Windley, B.F., Kusky, T.M., Meng, Q.R. (eds). Geological Society, London, Special Publications 280, 35–54.
- 2013. Episodic widespread magma underplating beneath the North China Craton in the Phanerozoic: implications for craton destruction. Gondwana Research 23, 95–107. , , , , ,
- 2007. Importance of melt circulation and crust–mantle interaction in the lithospheric evolution beneath the North China Craton: evidence from Mesozoic basalt-borne clinopyroxene xenocrysts and pyroxenite xenoliths. Lithos 96, 67–89. , , , , , ,
- 2012. Experimental constraints on the destruction mechanism of the North China Craton. Lithos 149, 91–99. , ,
- 2009. Late Paleozoic to Early Mesozoic mafic–ultramafic complexes from the northern North China Block: constraints on the composition and evolution of the lithospheric mantle. Lithos 110, 229–246. , , , , , ,
- 2012. Early Mesozoic alkaline complexes in the northern North China Craton: implications for cratonic lithospheric destruction. Lithos 155, 1–18. , , , ,
- 2003. Cenozoic extensional stress evolution in North China. Journal of Geodynamics 36, 591–613. , , , ,
- 2011. Crustal structure and extensional deformation of thinned lithosphere in Northern China. Tectonophysics 508, 62–72. , , , ,
- 2012. Giuliano Panza. Lateral variation of the strength of lithosphere across the eastern North China Craton: new constraints on lithospheric disruption. Gondwana Research 22, 1047–1059. , , , , ,
- 2013. Geophysical constraints on Mesozoic disruption of North China Craton by underplating-triggered lower-crust flow of the Archean lithosphere. Terra Nova 25, 245–251. , , , , , , , ,
- 2013. Lithotectonic elements of Precambrian basement in the North China Craton: review and tectonic implications. Gondwana Research 23, 1207–1240. ,
- 2005. Using shear wave splitting measurement to investigate the upper mantle anisotropy beneath the North China Craton: distinct variation from east to west. Geophysical Research Letters 32, L1039. DOI: 10.1029/2005GL022585. ,
- 2001. Archean blocks and their boundaries in the North China Craton: lithological, geochemical, structural and P–T path constraints and tectonic evolution. Precambrian Research 107, 45–73. , , ,
- 2005. Late Archean to Paleoproterozoic evolution of the North China Craton: key issues revisited. Precambrian Research 136, 177–202. , , ,
- 2012. Amalgamation of the North China Craton: key issues and discussion. Precambrian Research 222–223, 55–76. , , , , , , ,
- 2009. Growth and reworking of cratonic lithosphere. Chinese Science Bulletin 54, 3347–3353. ,
- 1998. Nature and evolution of Cenozoic lithospheric mantle beneath Shandong peninsula, Sino-Korean craton, eastern China. International Geology Review 40, 471–499. , , , ,
- 2007. Mechanism and timing of lithospheric modification and replacement beneath the eastern North China Craton: peridotitic xenoliths from the 100 Ma Fuxin basalts and a regional synthesis. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 71, 5203–5223. , , , , , ,
- 2009. Chemical geodynamics of continental subduction-zone metamorphism: insights from studies of the Chinese Continental Scientific Drilling (CCSD) core samples. Tectonophysics 475, 327–358. , ,
- 2010. The role played and opportunities provided by IGP DMC of China National Seismic Network in Wenchuan earthquake disaster relief and researches. Bulletin of Seismology Society America 100(5B), 2866–2872. , , ,
- 2013. Introduction to tectonics of China. Gondwana Research 23, 1189–1206. , ,
- 2000. Crustal structure across the San Andreas Fault, southern California from teleseismic converted waves. Earth Planetary and Science Letters 179, 183–190.
- 2000. Moho depth variation in southern California from teleseismic receiver functions. Journal of Geophysical Research 105, 2069–2980. ,
- 2002. High resolution surface wave tomography in east Asia and west Pacific marginal seas. Chinese Journal of Geophysics 45, 646–664 (in Chinese with English abstract). , , , , ,
- 2001. Geodynamic setting of gold deposits in Eastern and Central Trans-Baikal (Chita Region, Russia). Ore Geology Reviews 17, 215–232. , , ,