Microglia activation influences dye coupling and Cx43 expression of the astrocytic network
Version of Record online: 6 MAR 2003
Copyright © 2003 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 42, Issue 2, pages 101–108, 15 April 2003
How to Cite
Faustmann, P. M., Haase, C. G., Romberg, S., Hinkerohe, D., Szlachta, D., Smikalla, D., Krause, D. and Dermietzel, R. (2003), Microglia activation influences dye coupling and Cx43 expression of the astrocytic network. Glia, 42: 101–108. doi: 10.1002/glia.10141
- Issue online: 6 MAR 2003
- Version of Record online: 6 MAR 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 JUL 2002
- Manuscript Received: 21 MAY 2002
- Gemeinnützige Hertie-Stiftung, Frankfurt. Grant Number: GHS 2/472/98
- Medical Faculty, Ruhr-University Bochum. Grant Number: KOFFER
- Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft DFG. Grant Number: De 292/11
- 1993. Cytotoxicity of microglia. Glia 7: 111–118. , , , .
- 1991. Evidence for motility and pinocytosis in ramified microglia in tissue culture. Brain Res 548: 163–171. , .
- 2001. Cytokine regulation of gap junction connectivity: an open-and-shut case of changing partners at the nexus? Am J Pathol 158: 1775–1784. , , .
- 1989. Cognitive impairment in patients with clinically isolated lesions of the type seen in multiple sclerosis: a psychometric and MRI study. Brain 112: 361–374. , , , .
- 2001. Membrane currents and morphological properties of neurons and glial cells in the spinal cord and filum terminale of the frog. Neurosci Res 40: 23–35. , , , , .
- 1991. Gap junctions between cultured astrocytes: immunocytochemical, molecular, and electrophysiological analysis. J Neurosci 11: 1421–1432. , , , .
- 1998. From neuro-glue (“Nervenkitt”) to glia: a prologue. Glia 24: 1–7. , .
- 1985. The heterogeneity of mononuclear phagocytes in lymphoid organs: distinct macrophage subpopulations in the rat recognized by monoclonal antibodies ED1, ED2 and ED3. Immunology 54: 589–599. , , , .
- 2001. Microglia at brain stab wounds express connexin 43 and in vitro form functional gap junctions after treatment with interferon-γ and tumor necrosis factor-α. Proc Nat Acad Sci 98: 4190–4195. , , , , , .
- 1999. Downregulation of connexin43 gene expression in rat heart during inflammation: the role of tumour necrosis factor. Cytokine 11: 216–224 , , , .
- 1993. Characterization of microglia and macrophages in the central nervous system of rats: definition of the differential expression of molecules using standard and novel monoclonal antibodies in normal CNS and in four models of parenchymal reaction. Glia 7: 34–40. , , , .
- 1978. Effect of H+ on the membrane potential of silent cells in the ventral and dorsal surface layers of the rat medulla in vitro. Pflügers Arch 376: 229–235. , , , .
- 1999. Cell-cell coupling in cultures of striatal and cortical astrocytes of the monkey Cebus apella. J Hirnforsch 39: 473–479. , , , .
- 1996. Characterization and regulation of gap junction channels in cultured astrocytes. In: SprayDC, DermietzelR, editors. Gap junctions in the nervous system. New York: Chapman and Hall. p 135–157. , .
- 1998. Intercellular calcium signaling and gap junction communication in astrocytes. Glia 24: 50–64. , .
- 1996. Posttranscriptional regulation of connexin 32 expression in liver during acute inflammation. J Cell Physiol 199: 461–467. , , , .
- 1997. The sleep-inducing lipid oleamide deconvolutes gap junction communication and calcium wave transmission in glial cells. J Cell Biol 29: 1785–1792. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Fluorescent dye prelabelled microglial cells migrate into organotypic hippocampal slice cultures and ramify. Eur J Neurosci 9: 863–866. , , , .
- 1998. Astrocytic factors deactivate antigen presenting cells that invade the central nervous system. Brain Pathol 8: 459–474. , , , .
- 1996. C-erbB2/neu transfection induces gap junctional communication incompetence in glial cells. J Neurosci 16: 4311–4321. , , , , , .
- 1999. IL-1β differentially regulates calcium wave propagation between primary fetal astrocytes via pathways involving P2 receptors and gap junction channels. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 96: 11613–11618. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Proliferation of ramified microglia on an astrocyte monolayer: characterization of stimulatory and inhibitory cytokines. J Neurosci Res 49: 248–254. , , .
- 1994. Lipopolysaccherides and leukotriene B4 induce independently regulated electrophysiological and immunological responses in cultured astrocytes. J Neuroimmunol 55: 179–185. , , , .
- 1997. Immunologically induced electrophysiological dysfunction: implications for inflammatory diseases of the CNS and PNS. Prog Neurobiol 52: 1–26 , , .
- 1998. TNF alpha induces a protein kinase C-dependent reduction in astroglial K+ conductance. Neuroreport 11: 1375–1378 , , , , .
- 1996. Microglia: a sensor for pathological events in the CNS. Trends Neurosci 19: 312–318. .
- 2000. Interleukin-10, interleukin-4, and transforming growth factor-β differentially regulate lipopolysaccharide-induced production of pro-inflammatory cytokines and nitric oxide in co-cultures of rat astroglial and microglial cells. Glia 30: 134–142. , , , , .
- 1992. Characterization of primary human fetal dissociated central nervous system cultures with an emphasis on microglia. Lab Invest 67: 465–476. , , , .
- 1993. Cytokine production by human fetal microglia and asrtocytes. J Immunol 150: 2659–2667. , , , , .
- 2000. Connexin43 phosphorylation state and intercellular communication in cultured astrocytes following hypoxia and protein phosphatase inhibition. Eur J Neurosci 12: 2644–2650. , .
- 1999. Microglial proliferation in cortical neural cultures exposed to feline immunodeficiency virus. J Neuroimmunol 101: 15–26. , , , , .
- 1996. Transient increase in symptoms associated with cytokine release in patients with multiple sclerosis. Brain 119: 225–237. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Gap junctions and connexins in the mammalian central nervous system. Adv Mol Cell Biol 30: 323–396. , .
- 2000. A brain slice model for in vitro analyses of astrocytic gap junction and connexin43 regulation: actions of ischemia, glutamate and elevated potassium. Eur J Neurosci 12: 4567–4572. , .
- 1999. Excitotoxic brain damage in the rat induces interleukin-1β protein in microglia and astrocytes: correlation with the progressuion of cell death. Glia 25: 311–323. , , .
- 1986. Immunohistological analysis of macrophages in the central nervous system of Lewis rats with acute experimental allergic encephalomyelitis. J Neuroimmunol 11: 215–222. , , , .
- 1998. Regulation of gap junction communication by growth factors from non-neural cells to astroglia: a brief review. Glia 24: 32–38. , .
- 1998. Fibroblast growth factor 2 (FGF-2) differentially regulates connexin (cx) 43 expression and function in astroglial cellsfrom distinct brain regions. Glia 22: 19–30. , , .
- 2000. Fibroblast growth factor-5 and –9 distinctly regulate expression and function of the gap junction protein connexin43 in cultured astroglial cells from differnt brain regions. Glia 30: 231–241. , , , .
- 2002. Brain macrophages inhibit gap junctional communication and downregulate connexin 43 expression un cultured astrocytes. Eur J Neurosci 15: 403–407 , , , .
- 2000. Intercellular communication in spinal cord astrocytes: fine tuning between gap junctions and P2 nucleotide receptors in calcium wave propagation. J Neurosci 20: 1435–1445 , , .
- 1994. Blood monocytes and spleen macrophages differentiate into microglia-like cells on monolayers of astrocytes: morphology. Glia 12: 245–258. , , .
- 1996. Progressive activation of adult microglial cells in vitro. Glia 16: 241–246. , .
- 2002. Inflammatory and anti-inflammatory influences to the astroglial syncytium. J Neurol 249: I91. , , , , , .
- 1998. Inflammation and glial response in ischemic brain lesions. Prog Neurobiol 56: 149–171. , , .
- 1999. The role of microglia and macrophages in the pathophysiology of the CNS. Prog Neurobiol 58: 233–247. , .
- 1987. Lectin binding by resting and reactive microglia. J Neurocytol 16: 249–260. , .
- 1988. Functional plasticity of microglia: a review. Glia 1: 301–307. , , .
- 1996. Microglial ramification requires nondiffusible factors derived from astrocytes. Exp Neurol 137: 367–375. , .
- 1998. Downregulation of connexin32 protein and gap-junctional intercellular communcation by cytokine-mediated acute-phase response in immotalized mouse hepatocytes. Cell Tissue Res 294: 345–350. , , .
- 1995. Inhibition of anandamide of gap junctions and intercellular calcium signalling in striatal astrocytes. Nature 376: 590–594. , , , .