Cell Biology of Microglia
Microglial activation by purines and pyrimidines
Version of Record online: 4 OCT 2002
Copyright © 2002 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Microglia
Volume 40, Issue 2, pages 156–163, November 2002
How to Cite
Inoue, K. (2002), Microglial activation by purines and pyrimidines. Glia, 40: 156–163. doi: 10.1002/glia.10150
- Issue online: 4 OCT 2002
- Version of Record online: 4 OCT 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 JUL 2002
- Manuscript Received: 14 FEB 2002
- 2001. Cytokines and acute neurodegeneration. Nature Rev Neurosci 2: 734–744. , .
- 1995. Tumor necrosis factors α and β protect neurons against amyloid β-peptide toxicity: evidence for involvement of a κB-binding factor and attenuation of peroxide and Ca2+ accumulation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92: 9328–9332. , , , , , .
- 1998. p38 and extracellular signal-regulated kinase mitogen-activated protein kinase pathways are required for nuclear factor-κB p65 transactivation mediated by tumor necrosis factor. J Biol Chem 273: 3285–3290. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Role of extracellular adenosine triphosphate in the cytotoxic T-lymphocyte-mediated lysis of antigen presenting cells. Blood 85: 3173–3182. , , , , , .
- 1988. Hypothesis: a role for tumor necrosis factor in immune-related demyelination and its relevance to multiple sclerosis. J Neuroimmunol 18: 87–94. , , .
- 1996. Altered neuronal and microglial responses to excitotoxic and ischemic brain injury in mice lacking TNF receptors. Nature Med 2: 788–794. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Tumor necrosis factors protect neurons against metabolic-excitotoxic insults and promote maintenance of calcium homeostasis. Neuron 12: 139–153. , , .
- 1996. Mouse microglial cells express a plasma membrane pore gated by extracellular ATP. J Immunol 156: 1531–1539. , , , , , .
- 1997a. ATP-mediated cytotoxicity in microglial cells. Neuropharmacology 36: 1295–1301. , , , , , , .
- 1997b. Purinergic modulation of interleukin-1β release from microglial cells stimulated with bacterial endotoxin. J Exp Med 185: 579–582. , , , , .
- 1997c. Extracellular ATP activates transcription factor NF-κB through the P2Z purinoreceptor by selectively targeting NF-κB p65. J Cell Biol 139: 1635–1643. , , , .
- 1999a. P2Z purinoreceptor ligation induces activation of caspases with distinct roles in apoptotic and necrotic alterations of cell death. FEBS Lett 447: 71–75. , , , , , .
- 1999b. P2X7/P2Z purinoreceptor-mediated activation of transcription factor NFAT in microglial cells. J Biol Chem 274: 13205–13210. , , .
- 1991. Elevated circulating tumor necrosis factor levels in Alzheimer's disease. Neurosci Lett 129: 318–320. , , , , , , .
- 1999. A2B adenosine and P2Y2 receptors stimulate mitogen-activated protein kinase in human embryonic kidney-293 cells. cross-talk between cyclic AMP and protein kinase c pathways. J Biol Chem 274: 5972–5980. , , , .
- 1991. Interleukin-6 improves the survival of mesencephalic catecholaminergic and septal cholinergic neurons from postnatal, two-week-old rats in cultures. Neuroscience 40: 445–452. , , , , , .
- 2000. Extracellular ATP triggers TNF-α release from rat microglia. J Neurochem 75: 965–972. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Identification of the platelet ADP receptor targeted by antithrombotic drugs. Nature 409: 202–207. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Extracellular ATP or ADP induce chemotaxis of cultured microglia through Gi/o-coupled P2Y receptors. J Neurosci 21: 1975–1982. , , , , , .
- 1998. ATP stimulates Ca2+-dependent plasminogen release from cultured microglia. Br J Pharmacol 123: 1304–1310. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Brilliant blue G selectively blocks ATP-gated rat P2X(7) receptors. Mol Pharmacol 58: 82–88. , , , .
- 1996. Microglia: a sensor for pathological events in the CNS. Trends Neurosci 19: 312–318. .
- 1993. Cytokine production by human fetal microglia and astrocytes. Differential induction by lipopolysaccharide and IL-1 beta. J Immunol 150: 2659–2667. , , , , .
- 1996. Expression of interleukin-6 receptor (IL-6R) and gp130 mRNA in PC12 cells and sympathetic neurons: modulation by tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-α). Brain Res 706: 71–79. , , .
- 1998. Regulation of interleukin-1beta-induced interleukin-6 gene expression in human fibroblast-like synoviocytes by p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase. J Biol Chem 273: 24832–24838. , , , , , .
- 2000. Activation of mouse microglial cells affects P2 receptor signaling. Brain Res 853: 49–59. , , , .
- 2000. P2 Purinoceptor expression and functional changes of hypoxia-activated cultured rat retinal microglia. Neurosci Lett 282: 153–156. , , , , .
- 1993. Functional roles of microglia in the brain. Neurosci Res 17: 187–203. , .
- 1994. Signaling by ATP receptors in astrocytes. NeuroReport 5: 1617–1620. , .
- 1996. Extracellular ATP induces formation of AP-1 complexes in astrocytes via P2 purinoceptors. NeuroReport 7: 2893–2896. , , , .
- 1999. Mitogenic signaling by ATP/P2Y purinergic receptors in astrocytes: involvement of a calcium-independent protein kinase C, extracellular signal-regulated protein kinase pathway distinct from the phosphatidylinositol-specific phospholipase C/calcium, pathway. J Neurosci 19: 4211–4220. , , , , , .
- 1994. Signal transduction pathways mediating astrocyte IL-6 induction by IL-1 beta and tumor necrosis factor-alpha. J Immunol 152: 841–850. , , , .
- 1994. Characterization and possible function of adenosine 5′-triphosphate receptors in activated rat microglia. Br J Pharmacol 111: 942–950. , , , .
- 1997. Generation and characterization of a microglial cell line, MG5, derived from a p53-deficient mouse. Glia 21: 285–298. , , , .
- 2000. Expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase mRNA and production of nitric oxide are induced by adenosine triphosphate in cultured rat microglia. Neurosci Lett 293: 72–74. , , .
- 2000. ATP facilitates spontaneous glycinergic IPSC frequency at dissociated rat dorsal horn interneuron synapses. J. Physiol 524: 471–483. , , , , .
- 2000. Kinetics and mechanism of ATP-dependent IL-1β release from microglial cells. J Immunol 164: 4893–4898. , .
- 1992. TNF alpha induces IL-6 production by astrocytes but not by microglia. Brain Res 538: 296–299. , , .
- 1997. Inhibition of p75 tumor necrosis factor receptor by antisense oligonucleotides increases hypoxin injury and β-amyloid toxicity in human neuronal cell line. J Biol Chem 272: 3550–3553. , , .
- 2001. Mechanisms underlying extracellular ATP-evoked IL-6 release in mouse microglial cell line, MG-5. J Neurochem 78: 1339–1349. , , , , , .
- 1999. Cutting edge: purinergic signaling regulates radical-mediated bacterial killing mechanisms in macrophages through a P2X7-independent mechanism. J Immunol 163: 558–561. , , , , , .
- 2001. Altered cytokine production in mice lacking P2X7 receptors. J Biol Chem 276: 125–132. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Activation of P2Y2 receptors by UTP and ATP stimulates mitogen-activated kinase activity through a pathway that involves related adhesion focal tyrosine kinase and protein kinase C. J Biol Chem 273: 2653–2660. , , , .
- 1996. The cytolytic P2Z receptor for extracellular ATP identified as a P2X receptor (P2X7). Science 272: 735–738. , , , , .
- 1998. Long-term activation of capacitative Ca2+ entry in mouse microglial cells. Neuroscience 86: 925–935. , , , .
- 1996. Protective effect of interleukin-6 against the death of PC12 cells caused by serum deprivation or by the addition of a calcium ionophore. Biochem Pharmacol 52: 911–916. , , , , , .
- 1998. Inhibition of TNF-induced apoptosis by NF-κB. Trends Cell Biol 8: 107–111. , , , .
- 1996. Calcium signalling in cells. Trends Neurosci 19: 346–352. , .
- 1999. Kinetics of cell lysis, dye uptake and permeability changes in cells expressing the rat P2X7 receptor. J Physiol 519: 335–346. , , , .
- 1993. Extracellular ATP activates a cation conductance and a K+ conductance in cultured microglial cells from mouse brain. J Neurosci 13: 4403–4411. , , , , .
- 2001. The P2Y11 receptor mediates the ATP-induced maturation of human monocyte-derived dendritic cells. J Immunol 166: 7172–7177. , , , , , .
- 1994. Interleukin-6 protects cultured rat hippocampal neurons against glutamate-induced cell death. Brain Res 643: 173–180. , .