Cell Biology of Microglia
Role of p38 and p44/42 mitogen-activated protein kinases in microglia
Version of Record online: 4 OCT 2002
Copyright © 2002 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Microglia
Volume 40, Issue 2, pages 175–183, November 2002
How to Cite
Koistinaho, M. and Koistinaho, J. (2002), Role of p38 and p44/42 mitogen-activated protein kinases in microglia. Glia, 40: 175–183. doi: 10.1002/glia.10151
- Issue online: 4 OCT 2002
- Version of Record online: 4 OCT 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 JUL 2002
- Manuscript Received: 14 FEB 2002
- Sigrid Juselius Foundation, Finland
- 2002. Molecular psychology: roles for the ERK MAP Kinase cascade in memory. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 42: 135–163. , .
- 1997. Oxidative stress activates extracellular signal-regulated kinases through Src and Ras in cultured cardiac myocytes of neonatal rats. J Clin Invest 100: 1813–1821. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Inflammation and Alzheimer's disease. Neurobiol Aging 21: 383–421. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. PD 098059 is a specific inhibitor of the activation of mitogen-activated protein kinase kinase in vitro and in vivo. J Biol Chem 270: 27489–27494. , , , , .
- 2001. Activation of the JNK/p38 pathway occurs in diseases characterized by tau protein pathology and is related to tau phosphorylation but not to apoptosis. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 60: 1190–1197. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Extracellular signal-regulated kinase and p38 subgroups of mitogen-activated protein kinases regulate inducible nitric oxide synthase and tumor necrosis factor-alpha gene expression in endotoxin-stimulated primary glial cultures. J Neurosci 18: 1633–1641. , , , .
- 1991. Identification of multiple extracellular signal-regulated kinases (ERKs) with antipeptide antibodies. Cell Regul 2: 357–371. , .
- 1990. An insulin-stimulated protein kinase similar to yeast kinases involved in cell cycle control. Science 249: 64–67. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Purification and properties of extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1, an insulin-stimulated microtubule-associated protein 2 kinase. Biochemistry 30: 278–286. , , .
- 2000. Antiinflammatory effects of estrogen on microglial activation. Endocrinology 141: 3646–3656. , , , , , .
- 1992. Nuclear localization and regulation of erk- and rsk-encoded protein kinases. Mol Cell Biol 12: 915–927. , , .
- 1992. Bench to bedside: the glutamate connection. Science 258: 241–243. .
- 1988. Glutamate neurotoxicity and diseases of the nervous system. Neuron 623–634. .
- 1995. How MAP kinases are regulated. J Biol Chem 270: 14843–14846. , .
- 1991. Extracellular signal-regulated kinases: ERKs in progress. Cell Regul 2: 965–978. , , .
- 1999. Identification of microglial signal transduction pathways mediating a neurotoxic response to amyloidogenic fragments of beta-amyloid and prion proteins. J Neurosci 19: 928–939. , , , , .
- 2001. beta-Amyloid stimulation of microglia and monocytes results in TNFalpha-dependent expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase and neuronal apoptosis. J Neurosci 21: 1179–1188. , , , .
- 1992. The primary structure of MEK, a protein kinase that phosphorylates the ERK gene product. Science 258: 478–480. , , .
- 1996. Purification and cDNA cloning of SAPKK3, the major activator of RK/p38 in stress- and cytokine-stimulated monocytes and epithelial cells. EMBO J 15: 4156–4164. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Activation of stress-activated protein kinase-3 (SAPK3) by cytokines and cellular stresses is mediated via SAPKK3 (MKK6); comparison of the specificities of SAPK3 and SAPK2 (RK/p38). EMBO J 16: 295–305. , , , .
- 1997. Blockade of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway inhibits inducible nitric-oxide synthase expression in mouse astrocytes. J Biol Chem 272: 28373–28380. , , , .
- 2002. CD40-CD40L interactions induce chemokine expression by human microglia: implications for human immunodeficiency virus encephalitis and multiple sclerosis. Am J Pathol 160: 559–567. , , .
- 1998. An integrated analysis of the progression of cell responses induced by permanent focal middle cerebral artery occlusion in the rat. Exp Neurol 154: 199–212. , , , , .
- 1999. The progression and topographic distribution of interleukin-1beta expression after permanent middle cerebral artery occlusion in the rat. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 19: 87–98. , , , , , .
- 1998. Mitogen- and stress-activated protein kinase-1 (MSK1) is directly activated by MAPK and SAPK2/p38, and may mediate activation of CREB. EMBO J 17: 4426–4441. , , , .
- 1995. A synthetic inhibitor of the mitogen-activated protein kinase cascade. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92: 7686–7689. , , , , .
- 2001. The stimulation of inducible nitric-oxide synthase by the prion protein fragment 106–-126 in human microglia is tumor necrosis factor-alpha-dependent and involves p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase. J Biol Chem 276: 25692–25696. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Identification of a novel inhibitor of mitogen-activated protein kinase kinase. J Biol Chem 273: 18623–18632. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Differential expression of active, phosphorylation-dependent MAP kinases, MAPK/ERK, SAPK/JNK and p38, and specific transcription factor substrates following quinolinic acid excitotoxicity in the rat. Brain Res Mol Brain Res 94: 48–58. , , .
- 1993. Activation of p42 mitogen-activated protein kinase by glutamate receptor stimulation in rat primary cortical cultures. J Neurochem 61: 1626–1633. , , , , .
- 1994. Interleukin-1 activates a novel protein kinase cascade that results in the phosphorylation of Hsp27. Cell 78: 1039–1049. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Role and regulation of 90 kDa ribosomal S6 kinase (RSK) in signal transduction. Mol Cell Endocrinol 151: 65–77. , .
- 1997. MNK1, a new MAP kinase-activated protein kinase, isolated by a novel expression screening method for identifying protein kinase substrates. EMBO J 16: 1921–1933. , .
- 1993. Serum-induced translocation of mitogen-activated protein kinase to the cell surface ruffling membrane and the nucleus. J Cell Biol 122: 1089–1101. , , , , , .
- 1998. Induction of cyclooxygenase-2 by the activated MEKK1SEK1/MKK4p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway. J Biol Chem 273: 12901–12908. , , , , .
- 1999. Differential expression and activation of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase alpha, beta, gamma, and delta in inflammatory cell lineages. J Immunol 162: 4246–4252. , , , .
- 2000. Alzheimer's disease and inflammation: a review of cellular and therapeutic mechanisms. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 27: 1–8. , , , .
- 2001. The protein tyrosine kinase inhibitor AG126 prevents the massive microglial cytokine induction by pneumococcal cell walls. Eur J Immunol 31: 2104–2115. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Protein kinases 6. The eukaryotic protein kinase superfamily: kinase (catalytic) domain structure and classification. FASEB J 9: 576–596. , .
- 2001. Microglial signaling by amyloid beta protein through mitogen-activated protein kinase mediating phosphorylation of MARCKS. NeuroReport 12: 2567–2571. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. p38 kinase is activated in the Alzheimer's disease brain. J Neurochem 72: 2053–2058. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. p38 MAPK signalling cascades in inflammatory disease. Mol Med Today 5: 439–447. , .
- 2000. Extracellular ATP triggers tumor necrosis factor-alpha release from rat microglia. J Neurochem 75: 965–972. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Transgenic mouse brain histopathology resembles early Alzheimer's disease. Ann Neurol 35: 598–607. , , , , .
- 1995. Early Alzheimer disease-like histopathology increases in frequency with age in mice transgenic for beta-APP751. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 92: 4402–4406. , , , , .
- 1999. Rat primary cultured microglia express glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor receptors. Neurosci Lett 275: 203–206. , , , , .
- 1994. Evidence that inactive p42 mitogen-activated protein kinase and inactive Rsk exist as a heterodimer in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91: 5480–5484. , , ,
- 1997. Oxidative stress-induced actin reorganization mediated by the p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase/heat shock protein 27 pathway in vascular endothelial cells. Circ Res 80: 383–392. , , , .
- 1998. Signal transduction by the c-Jun N-terminal kinase (JNK)—from inflammation to development. Curr Opin Cell Biol 10: 205–219. , .
- 1996. Molecular mechanism of Alzheimer's neurofibrillary degeneration and therapeutic intervention. Ann N Y Acad Sci 777: 132–138. , .
- 1996. Characterization of the structure and function of a new mitogen-activated protein kinase (p38beta). J Biol Chem 271: 17920–17926. , , , , , , .
- 1997. BMK1/ERK5 regulates serum-induced early gene expression through transcription factor MEF2C. EMBO J 16: 7054–7066. , , , , , .
- 2001. Specific spatial learning deficits become severe with age in beta-amyloid precursor protein transgenic mice that harbor diffuse beta-amyloid deposits but do not form plaques. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98: 14675–14680. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Beta-amyloid precursor protein transgenic mice that harbor diffuse A beta deposits but do not form plaques show increased ischemic vulnerability: role of inflammation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99: 1610–1615. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Novel homologues of CSBP/p38 MAP kinase: activation, substrate specificity and sensitivity to inhibition by pyridinyl imidazoles. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 23: 533–538. , , , , , .
- 1996. Sounding the alarm: protein kinase cascades activated by stress and inflammation. J Biol Chem 271: 24313–24316. , .
- 2001. Mammalian mitogen-activated protein kinase signal transduction pathways activated by stress and inflammation. Physiol Rev 81: 807–869. , .
- 1999. HSP27 multimerization mediated by phosphorylation-sensitive intermolecular interactions at the amino terminus. J Biol Chem 274: 9378–9385. , , , , .
- 1996. ERK6, a mitogen-activated protein kinase involved in C2C12 myoblast differentiation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93: 4355–4359. , , , , .
- 1994. A protein kinase involved in the regulation of inflammatory cytokine biosynthesis. Nature 372: 739–746. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. p38 map kinase regulates TNF-alpha production in human astrocytes and microglia by multiple mechanisms. Cytokine 12: 874–880. , , .
- 2001. Vitamin E suppression of microglial activation is neuroprotective. J Neurosci Res 66: 163–170. , , , , .
- 1999. Signal transduction pathways induced by GM-CSF in microglia: significance in the control of proliferation. Glia 26: 344–352. , , , .
- 1993. The SRF accessory protein Elk-1 contains a growth factor-regulated transcriptional activation domain. Cell 73: 381–393. , , .
- 1994. MAP kinase kinase kinase, MAP kinase kinase and MAP kinase. Curr Opin Genet Dev 4: 82–89. .
- 1995. Specificity of receptor tyrosine kinase signaling: transient versus sustained extracellular signal-regulated kinase activation. Cell 80: 179–185. .
- 1998. beta-Amyloid fibrils activate parallel mitogen-activated protein kinase pathways in microglia and THP1 monocytes. J Neurosci 18: 4451–4460. , , , .
- 1999. Inflammation of the brain in Alzheimer's disease: implications for therapy. J Leukoc Biol 65: 409–415. , .
- 1996. Arthritis and anti-inflammatory agents as possible protective factors for Alzheimer's disease: a review of 17 epidemiologic studies. Neurology 47: 425–432. , , .
- 2000. JNK and p38 stress kinases—degenerative effectors of signal-transduction-cascades in the nervous system. Prog Neurobiol 61: 45–60. , .
- 1998. Regulation of interleukin-1beta-induced interleukin-6 gene expression in human fibroblast-like synoviocytes by glucocorticoids. J Biochem (Tokyo) 124: 1130–1137. , , .
- 2000. Thrombin-induced activation of cultured rodent microglia. J Neurochem 75: 1539–1547. , , .
- 1993. Characterization of microglial reaction after middle cerebral artery occlusion in rat brain. J Comp Neurol 327: 123–132. , , .
- 1998. PRAK, a novel protein kinase regulated by the p38 MAP kinase. EMBO J 17: 3372–3384. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. The p38 signal transduction pathway: activation and function. Cell Signal 12: 1–13. , .
- 1999. Microglial activation by components of gram-positive and -negative bacteria: distinct and common routes to the induction of ion channels and cytokines. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 58: 1078–1089. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Mitogen-activated protein kinases activated by lipopolysaccharide and beta-amyloid in cultured rat microglia. NeuroReport 9: 871–874. , , , , .
- 1999. Gangliosides activate cultured rat brain microglia. J Biol Chem 274: 34584–34589. , , , , .
- 1991. Formation of beta-amyloid protein deposits in brains of transgenic mice. Nature 352: 239–241. , , , , , .
- 1995. Pro-inflammatory cytokines and environmental stress cause p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase activation by dual phosphorylation on tyrosine and threonine. J Biol Chem 270: 7420–7426. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Actions of IL-1 are selectively controlled by p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase: regulation of prostaglandin H synthase-2, metalloproteinases, and IL-6 at different levels. J Immunol 158: 3165–3173. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. A p38 MAP kinase inhibitor regulates stability of interleukin-1-induced cyclooxygenase-2 mRNA. FEBS Lett 439: 75–80. , , , , , .
- 1994. Membrane depolarization and calcium influx stimulate MEK and MAP kinase via activation of Ras. Neuron 12: 1207–1221. , , , .
- 1994. A novel kinase cascade triggered by stress and heat shock that stimulates MAPKAP kinase-2 and phosphorylation of the small heat shock proteins. Cell 78: 1027–1037. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Time course of microglia activation and apoptosis in various brain regions after permanent focal cerebral ischemia in mice. Acta Neuropathol (Berl) 96: 172–178. , , , .
- 2000. Thrombin induces NO release from cultured rat microglia via protein kinase C, mitogen-activated protein kinase, and NF-kappa B. J Biol Chem 275: 29955–29959. , , , .
- 2002. p38-Dependent marking of inflammatory genes for increased NF-kappa B recruitment. Nat Immunol 3: 69–75. , , .
- 1992. Immunological characterization of avian MAP kinases: evidence for nuclear localization. Mol Biol Cell 3: 775–787. , , , .
- 2000. TGF-beta induces the expression of the FLICE-inhibitory protein and inhibits Fas-mediated apoptosis of microglia. Eur J Immunol 30: 3680–3688. , , , , , , .
- 1992. Signal transduction within the nucleus by mitogen-activated protein kinase. J Biol Chem 267: 24796–24804. , , , , .
- 2001. Mechanisms underlying extracellular ATP-evoked interleukin-6 release in mouse microglial cell line, MG-5. J Neurochem 78: 1339–1349. , , , , , .
- 2000. Activation of MAP kinase (ERK-1/ERK-2), tyrosine kinase and VEGF in the human brain following acute ischaemic stroke. NeuroReport 11: 2759–2764. , , , , , .
- 1999. Identification of an extracellular signal-regulated kinase (ERK) docking site in ribosomal S6 kinase, a sequence critical for activation by ERK in vivo. J Biol Chem 274: 2893–2898. , , , .
- 1997. Regulation of the ERK subgroup of MAP kinase cascades through G protein-coupled receptors. Cell Signal 9: 337–351. , .
- 2002. Participation of protease-activated receptor-1 in thrombin-induced microglial activation. J Neurochem 80: 655–666. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Ligation of microglial CD40 results in p44/42 mitogen-activated protein kinase-dependent TNF-alpha production that is opposed by TGF-beta 1 and IL-10. J Immunol 163: 6614–6621. , , , , , .
- 2000a. CD45 opposes beta-amyloid peptide-induced microglial activation via inhibition of p44/42 mitogen-activated protein kinase. J Neurosci 20: 7587–7594. , , , , , , .
- 2000b. CD45 inhibits CD40L-induced microglial activation via negative regulation of the Src/p44/42 MAPK pathway. J Biol Chem 275: 37224–37231. , , .
- 2000. Cerebral ischemia and seizures induce tyrosine phosphorylation of PYK2 in neurons and microglial cells. J Neurosci 20: 6478–6487. , , .
- 2001. Minocycline provides neuroprotection against N-methyl-D-aspartate neurotoxicity by inhibiting microglia. J Immunol 166: 7527–7533. , .
- 2001. Minocycline, a tetracycline derivative, is neuroprotective against excitotoxicity by inhibiting activation and proliferation of microglia. J Neurosci 21: 2580–2588. , , , , .
- 1997. A highly specific inhibitor of human p38 MAP kinase binds in the ATP pocket. Nat Struct Biol 4: 311–316. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Activation of p38MAPK in microglia after ischemia. J Neurochem 70: 1764–1767. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Molecular cloning and characterization of a novel p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase. J Biol Chem 272: 23668–23674. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Mitogen-activated protein kinases activate the serine/threonine kinases Mnk1 and Mnk2. EMBO J 16: 1909–1920. , , , .
- 1999. Phosphorylation of the cap-binding protein eukaryotic translation initiation factor 4E by protein kinase Mnk1 in vivo. Mol Cell Biol 19: 1871–1880. , , , , , .
- 1995. Integration of MAP kinase signal transduction pathways at the serum response element. Science 269: 403–407. , , , .
- 1992. Alzheimer's disease neuropathology. Current status of interpretation of lesion development. Ann N Y Acad Sci 673: 270–284. , .
- 1998. Tumor necrosis factor signaling to stress-activated protein kinase (SAPK)/Jun NH2-terminal kinase (JNK) and p38. Germinal center kinase couples TRAF2 to mitogen-activated protein kinase/ERK kinase kinase 1 and SAPK while receptor interacting protein associates with a mitogen-activated protein kinase kinase kinase upstream of MKK6 and p38. J Biol Chem 273: 22681–22692. , , , .