Gliogenic and neurogenic progenitors of the subventricular zone: Who are they, where did they come from, and where are they going?
Version of Record online: 16 MAY 2003
Copyright © 2003 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Special Issue: Glia as Stem Cells in Development and Adulthood
Volume 43, Issue 1, pages 52–61, July 2003
How to Cite
Marshall, C. A.G., Suzuki, S. O. and Goldman, J. E. (2003), Gliogenic and neurogenic progenitors of the subventricular zone: Who are they, where did they come from, and where are they going?. Glia, 43: 52–61. doi: 10.1002/glia.10213
- Issue online: 16 MAY 2003
- Version of Record online: 16 MAY 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 JAN 2003
- Manuscript Received: 26 NOV 2002
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: NS-17125.
- 1994. The cloning of zebrin II reveals its identity with aldolase C. Development 120: 2081–2090. , , , .
- 1912. Cessation of mitosis in the central nervous system of the albino rat. J Comp Neurol 22: 547–568. .
- 1966. Proliferation and migration of undifferentiated precursor cells in the rat during postnatal gliogenesis. Exp Neurol 16: 263–278. .
- 1969. Autoradiographic and histological studies of postnatal neurogenesis. IV. Cell proliferation and migration in the anterior forebrain, with special reference to persisting neurogenesis in the olfactory bulb. J Comp Neurol 137: 433–458. .
- 1997a. Interneuron migration from basal forebrain to neocortex: dependence on Dlx genes. Science 278: 474–476. , , , .
- 1997b. Mutations of the homeobox genes Dlx-1 and Dlx-2 disrupt the striatal subventricular zone and differentiation of late born striatal neurons. Neuron 19: 27–37. , , , , , ,
- 2001. Distinct cortical migrations from the medial and lateral ganglionic eminences. Development 128: 353–363. , , , , .
- 1992. Expression of IGF-1 mRNA in the murine subventricular zone during postnatal development. Brain Res Mol Brain Res 12: 285–291. , , .
- 1998. Growth and fate of PSA-NCAM+ precursors of the postnatal brain. J Neurosci 18: 5777–5788. , , , , .
- 2002. Proneural genes and the specification of neural cell types. Nat Rev Neurosci 3: 517–530. , , .
- 1998. A study of the potential of the embryonic rat telencephalon to generate oligodendrocytes. Dev Biol 193: 100–113. , .
- Boulder Committee. 1970. Embryonic vertebrate central nervous system: revised terminology. Anat Rec 166: 257–262.
- 1998. Ependymal development, proliferation, and functions: a review. Microsc Res Tech 41: 2–13. .
- 1959. Mitotic activity in the brain of the adult rat. Anat Rec 133: 65–71. .
- 1998. Oligodendrocyte population dynamics and the role of PDGF in vivo. Neuron 20: 869––882. , , , , , , .
- 2002. LeX/ssea-1 is expressed by adult mouse CNS stem cells, identifying them as nonependymal. Neuron 35: 865–875. , .
- 2000. A 295-kDA intermediate filament-associated protein in radial glia and developing muscle cells in vivo and in vitro. Dev Dynam 219: 514–525. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Adult mammalian forebrain ependymal and subependymal cells demonstrate proliferative potential, but only subependymal cells have neural stem cell characteristics. J Neurosci 19: 4462–4471. , , , .
- 1981. Radial glia of developing human fetal spinal cord: Golgi, immunohistochemical and electron microscopic study. Brain Res 227: 249–267. .
- 2000. The GSH2 homeodomain gene controls multiple aspects of telencephalic development. Development 127: 5007–5020. , , , , .
- 2001. Telencephalic cells take a tangent: non-radial migration in the mammalian forebrain. Nature Neurosci 4 (suppl): 1177–1182. , , .
- 1996. Network of tangential pathways for neuronal migration in adult mammalian brain. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93: 14895–14900. , .
- 1997. Cellular composition and three-dimensional organization of the subventricular germinal zone in the adult mammalian brain. J Neurosci 17: 5046–5061. , , .
- 1999. Subventricular zone astrocytes are neural stem cells in the adult mammalian brain. Cell 97: 703–716. , , , , .
- 1996. Complementary distribution of collagen type IV and the epidermal growth factor receptor in the rat embryonic telencephalon. Cereb Cortex 6: 540–549. , , .
- 1996. Evidence for neuronal regulation of oligodendrocyte development: cellular localization of platelet-derived growth factor alpha receptor and A-chain mRNA during cerebral cortex development in the rat. J Neurosci Res 45: 28–39. , , .
- 1994. Brain lipid-binding protein (BLBP): a novel signaling system in the developing mammalian CNS. Neuron 12: 895–908. , , .
- 1999. Defective oligodendrocyte development and severe hypomyelination in PDGF-A knockout mice. Development 126: 457–467. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. rax, Hes1, and notch1 promote the formation of Muller glia by postnatal retinal progenitor cells. Neuron 26: 383–394. , , , , .
- 2002. The role of notch in promoting glial and neural stem cell fates. Annu Rev Neurosci 25: 471–490. , .
- 2000. Radial glial identity is promoted by Notch1 signaling in the murine forebrain. Neuron 26: 395–404. , , .
- 1996. In vivo characterization of endogenous proliferating cells in adult rat subcortical white matter. Glia 17: 39–51. , .
- 2001. Heterogeneity of cycling glial progenitors in the adult mammalian cortex and white matter. J Neurobiol 48: 75–86. , .
- 1944. Subependymal cell plate (matrix) and its relationship to brain tumurs of ependymal type. J Neuropathol 3: 1–35. , .
- 1996. Bone morphogenetic proteins promote astroglial lineage commitment by mammalian subventricular zone progenitor cells. Neuron 17: 595–606. , , , , , .
- 1992. Generation and migration of cells in the developing striatum. Neuron 9: 15–26. , .
- 2001. Characterization of CNS precursor subtypes and radial glia. Dev Biol 229: 15–30. , , , .
- 2001. Multipotent stem cells from the mouse basal forebrain contribute GABAergic neurons and oligodendrocytes to the cerebral cortex during embryogenesis. J Neurosci 21: 8854–8862. , , , , .
- 2000. Glial cell fate specification modulated by the bHLH gene Hes5 in mouse retina. Development 127: 2515–2522. , , , , , .
- 1999. Identification of a neural stem cell in the adult mammalian central nervous system. Cell 96: 25–34. , , , , , .
- 1999. Patterns and dynamics of SVZ cell migration in the postnatal forebrain: monitoring living progenitors in slice preparations. Neuron 23: 461–472. , .
- 1938. The medulloblast and the medulloblastoma. Arch Neurol Psychiatry 40: 937–967. .
- 2001. Ventral neurogenesis and the neuron-glial switch. Neuron 31: 677–680. , , .
- 2000. Expression of the EGF receptor family members ErbB2, ErbB3, and ErbB4 in germinal zones of the developing brain and in neurosphere cultures containing CNS stem cells. Dev Neurosci 22: 16–24. , , , .
- 1985. An immunohistochemical study of Aldolase C in normal and neoplastic nervous tissues. Acta Neuropathol (Berl) 67: 309–314. , , .
- 2000. Identification of a multipotent astrocytic stem cell in the immature and adult mouse brain. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97: 13883–13888. , , , , .
- 1993. Both oligodendrocytes and astrocytes develop from progenitors in the subventricular zone of postnatal rat forebrain. Neuron 10: 201–212. , .
- 1997. Multipotential and lineage restricted precursors coexist in the mammalian perinatal subventricular zone. J Neurosci Res 48: 83–94. , .
- 1993. The migrational patterns and developmental fates of glial precursors in the rat subventricular zone are temporally regulated. Development 119: 611–622. , , , .
- 1981. Coexistence of neuronal and glial precursor cells in the cerebral ventricular zone of the fetal monkey: an ultrastructural immunoperoxidase analysis. J Neurosci 1: 27–39. , , .
- 1968a. The fate of the subependymal cell in the adult rat brain, with a note on the origin of microglia. Brain 91: 721–738. .
- 1968b. A quantitative study of cell proliferation in the subependymal layer of the adult rat brain. Exp Neurol 20: 203–207. .
- 1968c. Mitotic activity in the primate subependymal layer and the genesis of gliomas. Nature 217: 974–975. .
- 2000. Noggin antagonizes BMP signaling to create a niche for adult neurogenesis. Neuron 28: 713–726. , , , , , .
- 1994. Long-distance neuronal migration in the adult mammalian brain. Science 264: 1145–1148. , .
- 1993. Restricted proliferation and migration of postnatally generated neurons derived from the forebrain subventricular zone. Neuron 11: 173–189. .
- 1994. Divergent lineages for oligodendrocytes and astrocytes originating in the neonatal forebrain subventricular zone. Glia 11: 211–226. , .
- 1988. Cell lineage in the cerebral cortex of the mouse studied in vivo and in vitro with a recombinant retrovirus. Neuron 1: 635–647. , , .
- 1993. Neurons, astrocytes, and oligodendrocytes of the rat cerebral cortex originate from separate progenitor cells: an ultrastructural analysis of clonally related cells. J Neurosci 13: 1730–1750. , , .
- 1998. GABA, GAD, and GABAA receptor alpha4, beta1, and gamma1 subunits are expressed in the late embryonic and early postnatal neocortical germinal matrix and coincide with gliogenesis. Microsc Res Tech 40: 398–407. , .
- 1997. Bone morphogenetic proteins induce astroglial differentiation of oligodendroglial-astroglial progenitor cells. J Neurosci 17: 4112–4120. , , , , , .
- 2001. The role of tangential migration in the establishment of mammalian cortex. Neuron 31: 175–178. , , .
- 2001. A long, remarkable journey: tangential migration in the telencephalon. Nat Rev Neurosci 2: 780–791. , .
- 2002. Subpallial Dlx2 expressing cells give rise to astrocytes and oligodendrocytes in the cerebral cortex and white matter. J Neurosci 22: 9821–9830. , .
- 2000. Developmental changes in progenitor cell responsiveness to bone morphogenetic proteins differentially modulate progressive CNS lineage fate. Dev Neurosci 22: 74–85. , , , , .
- 1994. Expression of neuron-specific tubulin defines a novel population in the proliferative layers of the developing telencephalon. J Neurosci 14: 5399–5416. , .
- 1988. Identification of radial glial cells within the developing murine central nervous system: studies based upon a new immunohistochemical marker. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 44: 95–108. , , ,
- 1998. The expressions of epidermal growth factor receptor mRNA and protein gene product 9.5 in developing rat brain. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 107: 1–9. , .
- 2001. Neuronal differentiation: proneural genes inhibit gliogenesis. Curr Biol 11: R349–351. .
- 2000. Transient Notch activation initiates an irreversible switch from neurogenesis to gliogenesis by neural crest stem cells. Cell 101: 499–510. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Sonic hedgehog is a potent inducer of rat oligodendrocyte development from cortical precursors in vitro. Mol Cell Neurosci 19: 320–332. , , , , .
- 2001. BMP2-mediated alteration in the developmental pathway of fetal mouse brain cells from neurogenesis to astrocytogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98: 5868–5873. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Monofocal origin of telencephalic oligodendrocytes in the anterior entopenduncular area of the chick embryo. Development 128: 1757–1769. , , , , , , .
- 1933. Ueber lokale Unterschiede Bau der Ventrikelwande beim Menschen. J Ges Neurol Psychiatry 149: 221–254. .
- 2001. Silencing of gene expression: implications for design of retrovirus vectors. Rev Med Virol 11: 205–217. , .
- 1999. Glial cell lineages in the rat cerebral cortex. Exp Neurol 156: 418–429. .
- 1973. Investigation of glial cells in semithin sections III transformation of subependymal cells into glial cells as shown by radioautography after 3H-thymidine injection into the lateral ventricle of the brain of young rats. J Comp Neurol 149: 83–102. , , , .
- 1984. Transition between immature radial glia and mature astrocytes studied with a monoclonal antibody to vimentin. Brain Res 317: 201–209. , .
- 1988. Cell lineage in the rat cerebral cortex: a study using retroviral-mediated gene transfer. Development 104: 473–482. , .
- 1993. A singularity of PDGF alpha-receptor expression in the dorsoventral axis of the neural tube may define the origin of the oligodendrocyte lineage. Development 117: 525–533. , .
- 1992. PDGF receptors in the rat CNS: during late neurogenesis, PDGF alpha-receptor expression appears to be restricted to glial cells of the oligodendrocyte lineage. Development 115: 535–551. , , , .
- 1972. Presence of glycogen-rich cells in the ependyma of the lateral ventricles. Z Zellforsch 173: 356–367. .
- 1972. The subependymal layer and neighboring region in the brain of the young rat. J Comp Neurol 146: 277–302. , .
- 1974. Neurons in rhesus monkey visual cortex: systemic relation between time of origin and eventual disposition. Science 183: 425–427. .
- 1988. Specification of cerebral cortical areas. Science 241: 170–176. .
- 2001. Purification of a pluripotent neural stem cell from the adult mouse brain. Nature 412: 736–739. , , , , , .
- 1932. Cerebral injury in new-born children consequent on birth trauma; with an enquiry into the normal and pathological anatomy of the neuroglia. Acta Pathol Microbiol Scand 10 (suppl): 1–247. .
- 1995. Proliferative zones of postnatal rat brain express epidermal growth factor receptor mRNA. Brain Res 670: 157–164. , , , .
- 1997. Glutamate transporter GLAST is expressed in the radial glia-astrocyte lineage of developing mouse spinal cord. J Neurosci 17: 9212–9219. , , , , , , .
- 1973. Neuronal migration with special reference to developing human brain: a review. Brain Res 62: 1–35. , .
- 1996. Cytokine-regulated expression of platelet-derived growth factor gene and protein in cultured human astrocytes. J Neurochem 66: 1409–1417. , , , .
- 1961. The subependymal layer of the mouse brain and its cell production as shown by radioautography after thymidine-H3 injection. J Comp Neurol 116: 325–347. .
- 1998. Multiple restricted origin of oligodendrocytes. J Neurosci 18: 8331–8343. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Aldolase C/Zebrin II expression in the neonatal rat forebrain reveals cellular heterogeneity within the subventricular zone and early astrocyte differentiation. J Neurosci 21: 6195–6205. , , , , .
- 2002. Neural progenitor cells of the neonatal rat anterior subventricular zone express functional GABAA receptors. J Neurobiol 50: 305–322. , , , .
- 2002. Notch1 and its ligands Delta-like and Jagged are expressed and active in distinct cell populations in the postnatal mouse brain. Mech Dev 114: 153. , , , , , .
- 1985. Age related changes in cellularity, mitotic activity and pyknotic cell number in the mouse subependymal layer. J Anat 141: 19–26. .
- Multiple cell populations in the early postnatal SVZ take distinct migratory pathways: a dynamic study of glial and neuronal progenitor migration. J Neurosci (in press). ,
- 2000. Retroviruses in foreign species and the problem of provirus silencing. Gene 261: 181–188. , , , , .
- 1995. Early ontogeny of the secondary proliferative population of the embryonic murine cerebral wall. J Neurosci 15: 6058–6068. , , .
- 2001. Notch1 and Notch3 instructively restrict bFGF-responsive multipotent neural progenitor cells to an astroglial fate. Neuron 29: 45–55. , , , , , .
- 2001. Hedgehog-dependent oligodendrocyte lineage specification in the telencephalon. Development 128: 2545–2554. , , , , , , , .
- 1982. Cellular localization of aldolase C subunits in human brain. Brain Res 232: 489–493. , , .
- 1999. Changes in cerebral cortex size are governed by fibroblast growth factor during embryogenesis. Nat Neurosci 2: 246–253. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Development of glial cells in the cerebral wall of ferrets: direct tracing of their transformation from radial glia into astrocytes. J Comp Neurol 289: 74–88. .
- 1998. Genomic sequences of aldolase C (Zebrin II) direct lacZ expression exclusively in non-neuronal cells of transgenic mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95: 2615–2620. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Notch receptor activation inhibits oligodendrocyte differentiation. Neuron 21: 63–75. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Oligodendrocyte development in the spinal cord and telencephalon: common themes and new perspectives. Int J Dev Neurosci 19: 379–385. , , , , .
- 1995. Early patterns of migration, morphogenesis, and intermediate filament expression of subventricular zone cells in the postnatal rat forebrain. J Neurosci 15: 7238–7249. , , .