Real-time passive volume responses of astrocytes to acute osmotic and ischemic stress in cortical slices and in vivo revealed by two-photon microscopy
Version of Record online: 20 AUG 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 57, Issue 2, pages 207–221, 15 January 2009
How to Cite
Risher, W. C., Andrew, R. D. and Kirov, S. A. (2009), Real-time passive volume responses of astrocytes to acute osmotic and ischemic stress in cortical slices and in vivo revealed by two-photon microscopy. Glia, 57: 207–221. doi: 10.1002/glia.20747
- Issue online: 20 NOV 2008
- Version of Record online: 20 AUG 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 JUN 2008
- Manuscript Received: 5 APR 2008
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: RO1 NS057113
- Heart and Stroke Foundation (Ontario). Grant Number: T-4478
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research. Grant Number: MOP69044
- 2003. An α-syntrophin-dependent pool of AQP4 in astroglial end-feet confers bidirectional water flow between blood and brain. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 100: 2106–2111. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. The molecular basis of water transport in the brain. Nat Rev Neurosci 4: 991–1001. , .
- 2005. Blocking the anoxic depolarization protects without functional compromise following simulated stroke in cortical brain slices. J Neurophysiol 93: 963–979. , , , , .
- 1991. Seizure and acute osmotic change: Clinical and neurophysiological aspects. J Neurol Sci 101: 7–18. .
- 2007. Physiological evidence that pyramidal neurons lack functional water channels. Cereb Cortex 17: 787–802. , , , , .
- 1997. Evidence against volume regulation by cortical brain cells during acute osmotic stress. Exp Neurol 143: 300–312. , , .
- 1994. Imaging cell volume changes and neuronal excitation in the hippocampal slice. Neuroscience 62: 371–383. , .
- 2003. Enhanced expression of aquaporin 4 in human brain with infarction. Acta Neuropathol (Berl) 106: 121–124. , , , , , .
- 2004. Distribution of Aquaporin 9 in the adult rat brain: Preferential expression in catecholaminergic neurons and in glial cells. Neuroscience 128: 27–38. , , , , , .
- 2007. Dynamic relationship between neurostimulation and N-acetylaspartate metabolism in the human visual cortex: Evidence that NAA functions as a molecular water pump during visual stimulation. J Mol Neurosci 32: 235–245. , , .
- 2006. Increased seizure duration and slowed potassium kinetics in mice lacking aquaporin-4 water channels. Glia 53: 631–636. , , , , , .
- 2004. Maturation of astrocyte morphology and the establishment of astrocyte domains during postnatal hippocampal development. Int J Dev Neurosci 22: 73–86. , , .
- 2002. Protoplasmic astrocytes in CA1 stratum radiatum occupy separate anatomical domains. J Neurosci 22: 183–192. , , , .
- 1979. Elevation of rat brain amino acids, ammonia and idiogenic osmoles induced by hyperosmolality. Brain Res 161: 293–301. , .
- 2007. High-resolution in vivo imaging of the neurovascular unit during spreading depression. J Neurosci 27: 4036–4044. , , .
- 2007. Three-dimensional confocal morphometry—A new approach for studying dynamic changes in cell morphology in brain slices. J Anat 210: 671–683. , , .
- 1995. Volume changes in single N1E-115 neuroblastoma cells measured with a fluorescent probe. Neuroscience 69: 283–296. , , , .
- 1991. Extracellular volume decreases while cell volume is maintained by ion uptake in rat brain during acute hypernatremia. J Physiol 442: 277–295. , , , , , .
- 2007. Whole isolated neocortical and hippocampal preparations and their use in imaging studies. J Neurosci Methods 166: 203–216. , , .
- 2000. Imaging neuronal subsets in transgenic mice expressing multiple spectral variants of GFP. Neuron 28: 41–51. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Appropriate therapy can prevent cerebral swelling in diabetic ketoacidosis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85: 508–509. .
- 1975. Brain edema. N Engl J Med 293: 706–711. .
- 2001. An inexpensive mouse headholder suitable for optical recordings. Physiol Behav 74: 253–255. , , .
- 2007. The roles of aquaporin-4 in brain edema following neonatal hypoxia ischemia and re-oxygenation in a cultured rat astrocyte model. Glia 55: 935–941. , , , .
- 1997. Physiologic principles for volume regulation of a tissue enclosed in a rigid shell with application to the injured brain. J Trauma 42: S23–S31. , , .
- 2005. A practical guide: Long-term two-photon transcranial imaging of synaptic structures in the living brain. In: YusteR,KonnerthA, editors. Imaging in neuroscience and development: A laboratory manual. Cold Spring Harbor: Cold spring Harbor Laboratory Press. pp 185–189. , .
- 1993. Control of brain volume during hyperosmolar and hypoosmolar conditions. Annu Rev Med 44: 289–301. , .
- 2008. Osmotic swelling characteristics of glial cells in the murine hippocampus, cerebellum, and retina in situ. J Neurochem 105: 1405–1417. , , , , .
- 2005. Long-term, high-resolution imaging of neurons in the neocortex in vivo. In: YusteR,KonnerthA, editors. Imaging in neuroscience and development: A laboratory manual. Cold Spring Harbor: Cold spring Harbor Laboratory Press. p 627–638. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Imaging anoxic depolarization during ischemia-like conditions in the mouse hemi-brain slice. J Neurophysiol 85: 414–424. , .
- 1998. Anoxic depolarization determines ischemic brain injury. Neurol Res 20: 343–348. , , , , .
- 2004. Water homeostasis in the brain: Basic concepts. Neuroscience 129: 851–860. .
- 2004. Dendritic spines disappear with chilling but proliferate excessively upon rewarming of mature hippocampus. Neurosci 127: 69–80. , , , .
- 1999. Slices have more synapses than perfusion-fixed hippocampus from both young and mature rats. JNeurosci 19: 2876–2886. , , .
- 2004. Potassium buffering in the central nervous system. Neuroscience 129: 1045–1056. , .
- 2003. Taurine enhances volume regulation in hippocampal slices swollen osmotically. Neuroscience 120: 635–642. , .
- 1996. Water compartmentalization and extracellular tortuosity after osmotic changes in cerebellum of Trachemys scripta. J Physiol 492(Part 3): 887–896. , , , .
- 2005. Potassium homeostasis in the ischemic brain. Glia 50: 407–416. , , .
- 2004. Water transport in the brain: Role of cotransporters. Neuroscience 129: 1031–1044. , , .
- 2004. New insights into water transport and edema in the central nervous system from phenotype analysis of aquaporin-4 null mice. Neurosci 129: 983–991. , , , .
- 2004. Astrocytic swelling in neuropathology. In: KettenmannHO,RansomBR, editors. Neuroglia. New York: Oxford University Press. p 550–562. , .
- 2008. Two-photon imaging of stroke onset in vivo reveals that NMDA-receptor independent ischemic depolarization is the major cause of rapid reversible damage to dendrites and spines. J Neurosci 28: 1756–1772. , , , .
- 1993. Neuronal-glial exchange of taurine during hypo-osmotic stress: A combined immunocytochemical and biochemical analysis in rat cerebellar cortex. Neuroscience 54: 615–631. , , .
- 1996. Neuronal and glial handling of glutamate and glutamine during hypoosmotic stress: A biochemical and quantitative immunocytochemical analysis using the rat cerebellum as a model. Neuroscience 72: 743–755. , , .
- 2008. Water entry into astrocytes during brain edema formation. Glia 56: 895–902. , , , .
- 1997. Specialized membrane domains for water transport in glial cells: High-resolution immunogold cytochemistry of aquaporin-4 in rat brain. J Neurosci 17: 171–180. , , , , , .
- 2004. Sulforhodamine 101 as a specific marker of astroglia in the neocortex in vivo. Nat Methods 1: 31–37. , , , .
- 2001. GFAP promoter-controlled EGFP-expressing transgenic mice: A tool to visualize astrocytes and astrogliosis in living brain tissue. Glia 33: 72–86. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Spreading depression determines acute cellular damage in the hippocampal slice during oxygen/glucose deprivation. Eur J Neurosci 10: 3451–3461. , .
- 2002. Structural and quantitative analysis of astrocytes in the mouse hippocampus. Neuroscience 113: 221–233. , .
- 1995. Hypoosmotic volume regulation of astrocytes in elevated extracellular potassium. J Neurosci Res 40: 333–342. , , , , .
- 2004. Osmolytes and mechanisms involved in regulatory volume decrease under conditions of sudden or gradual osmolarity decrease. Neurochem Res 29: 65–72. , , , , , .
- 2005. Astrocyte activation and reactive gliosis. Glia 50: 427–434. , .
- 1999. Quantitative imaging of the green fluorescent protein (GFP). Methods Cell Biol 58: 31–48. , , .
- 1980. Abnormalities of cell volume regulation and their functional consequences. Am J Physiol 239: F195–F205. , .
- 1998. Direct immunogold labeling of aquaporin-4 in square arrays of astrocyte and ependymocyte plasma membranes in rat brain and spinal cord. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 95: 11981–11986. , , , , .
- 1990. Osmotic effects upon excitability in rat neocortical slices. Neuroscience 38: 579–590. , .
- 2004. Sevenfold-reduced osmotic water permeability in primary astrocyte cultures from AQP-4-deficient mice, measured by a fluorescence quenching method. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 286: C426–C432. , , , .
- 2006. Functional connexin “hemichannels”: A critical appraisal. Glia 54: 758–773. , , .
- 2006. Ischemia opens neuronal gap junction hemichannels. Science 312: 924–927. , , .
- 1989. Role of extracellular space in hyperosmotic suppression of potassium-induced electrographic seizures. J Neurophysiol 61: 927–938. , .
- 1997. Ischemia-induced changes in the extracellular space diffusion parameters, K+, and pH in the developing rat cortex and corpus callosum. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 17: 191–203. , .
- 1997. Role of astrocytes in the spreading depression signal between ischemic core and penumbra. Neurosci Biobehav Rev 21: 135–142. .
- 2006. Redefining the concept of reactive astrocytes as cells that remain within their unique domains upon reaction to injury. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 103: 17513–17518. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Oxygen and glucose deprivation-induced changes in astrocyte membrane potential and their underlying mechanisms in acute rat hippocampal slices. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 28: 456–467. , , , .
- 2008. Glial cell aquaporin-4 overexpression in transgenic mice accelerates cytotoxic brain swelling. J Biol Chem 283: 15280–15286. , , .
- 2005. Rapid reversible changes in dendritic spine structure in vivo gated by the degree of ischemia. J Neurosci 25: 5333–5338. , , , .
- 1997. Live astrocytes visualized by green fluorescent protein in transgenic mice. Dev Biol 187: 36–42. , , , , , .