Huizinga and van der Star contributed equally to this article.
Phagocytosis of neuronal debris by microglia is associated with neuronal damage in multiple sclerosis
Version of Record online: 9 DEC 2011
Copyright © 2011 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 60, Issue 3, pages 422–431, March 2012
How to Cite
Huizinga, R., van der Star, B. J., Kipp, M., Jong, R., Gerritsen, W., Clarner, T., Puentes, F., Dijkstra, C. D., van der Valk, P. and Amor, S. (2012), Phagocytosis of neuronal debris by microglia is associated with neuronal damage in multiple sclerosis. Glia, 60: 422–431. doi: 10.1002/glia.22276
- Issue online: 23 JAN 2012
- Version of Record online: 9 DEC 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 NOV 2011
- Manuscript Received: 28 JUN 2011
- Stichting MS Research, The Netherlands
- the MS Society of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- 2009. B cells produce pathogenic antibodies and impair recovery after spinal cord injury in mice. J Clin Invest 119: 2990–2999. , , .
- 2010. ADAM12 is expressed by astrocytes during experimental demyelination. Brain Res 1326: 1–14. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Presentation of alpha B-crystallin to T cells in active multiple sclerosis lesions: An early event following inflammatory demyelination. J Immunol 164: 4359–4366. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Autoreactive T cells induce neurotrophin production by immune and neural cells in injured rat optic nerve: Implications for protective autoimmunity. FASEB J 16: 1304–1306. , .
- 1997. Astrocytes and microglial cells incorporate degenerating fibers following entorhinal lesion: A light, confocal, and electron microscopical study using a phagocytosis-dependent labeling technique. Glia 20: 145–154. , .
- 2000. Acute axonal injury in multiple sclerosis. Correlation with demyelination and inflammation. Brain 123: 1174–1183. , , , , .
- 2004. Magnetic resonance imaging as a tool to examine the neuropathology of multiple sclerosis. Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol 30: 106–117. , , , .
- 2006. Myelin flow cytometry assay detects enhanced levels of antibodies to human whole myelin in a subpopulation of multiple sclerosis patients. J Neuroimmunol 176: 106–114. , , , , , .
- 2008. Homogeneity of active demyelinating lesions in established multiple sclerosis. Ann Neurol 63: 16–25. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. The pathology of multiple sclerosis is the result of focal inflammatory demyelination with axonal damage. J Neurol 252: v3–9. .
- 2001. Post-mortem MRI-guided sampling of multiple sclerosis brain lesions: Increased yield of active demyelinating and (p)reactive lesions. Brain 124: 1635–1645. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Isolation and characterization of adult microglial cells and oligodendrocytes derived from postmortem human brain tissue. Brain Res Brain Res Protoc 5: 85–94. , , , , , .
- 2002. Transfer of central nervous system autoantigens and presentation in secondary lymphoid organs. J Immunol 169: 5415–5423. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Autoimmune disease and impaired uptake of apoptotic cells in MFG-E8-deficient mice. Science 304: 1147–1150. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Contactin-2/TAG-1-directed autoimmunity is identified in multiple sclerosis patients and mediates gray matter pathology in animals. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106: 8302–8307. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Increased frequencies of serum antibodies to neurofilament light in patients with primary chronic progressive multiple sclerosis. Mult Scler 10: 601–606. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Multiple sclerosis: Neurofilament light chain antibodies are correlated to cerebral atrophy. Neurology 60: 219–223. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Enolase and arrestin are novel nonmyelin autoantigens in multiple sclerosis. J Clin Immunol 27: 388–396. , , , , .
- 2009. The relation between inflammation and neurodegeneration in multiple sclerosis brains. Brain 132: 1175–1189. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. The relationship of MS to physical trauma and psychological stress: Report of the Therapeutics and Technology Assessment Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology. Neurology 52: 1737–1745. , , , , , .
- 1998. Axonal swellings and degeneration in mice lacking the major proteolipid of myelin. Science 280: 1610–1613. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. The rod domain of NF-L determines neurofilament architecture, whereas the end domains specify filament assembly and network formation. J Cell Biol 123: 1517–1533. , , , , , .
- 2007. Immunization with neurofilament light protein induces spastic paresis and axonal degeneration in Biozzi ABH mice. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 66: 295–304. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Axonal loss and gray matter pathology as a direct result of autoimmunity to neurofilaments. Neurobiol Dis 32: 461–470. , , , .
- 2009. T-cell responses to neurofilament light protein are part of the normal immune repertoire. Int Immunol 21: 433–441. , , , , .
- 2001. T- and B-cell responses to myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis and multiple sclerosis. Glia 36: 220–234. , , , , .
- 2009. Autoimmune spread to myelin is associated with experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis induced by a neuronal protein, beta-synuclein. J Neuroimmunol 208: 19–29. , , , , .
- 2009. Abundant extracellular myelin in the meninges of patients with multiple sclerosis. Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol 35: 283–295. , , , , , .
- 2002. Acute axonal damage in multiple sclerosis is most extensive in early disease stages and decreases over time. Brain 125: 2202–2212. , , , , .
- 2008. Mitochondrial defects in acute multiple sclerosis lesions. Brain 131: 1722–1735. , , , .
- 2007. Neurofascin as a novel target for autoantibody-mediated axonal injury. J Exp Med 204: 2363–2372. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Onconeuronal and antineuronal antibodies in patients with neoplastic and non-neoplastic pulmonary pathologies and suspected for paraneoplastic neurological syndrome. Eur J Med Res 156–161. , , , , , .
- 1999. Autoimmune T cells protect neurons from secondary degeneration after central nervous system axotomy. Nat Med 5: 49–55. , , , , , .
- 2007. Tolerogenic effect of fiber tract injury: Reduced EAE severity following entorhinal cortex lesion. Exp Brain Res 178: 542–553. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Binding and uptake of A beta1–42 by primary human astrocytes in vitro. Glia 57: 978–988. , , , .
- 2010. Astrocytic A beta 1–42 uptake is determined by A beta-aggregation state and the presence of amyloid-associated proteins. Glia 58: 1235–1246. , , , , , .
- 2011. A reversible form of axon damage in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis and multiple sclerosis. Nat Med 17: 495–499. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Differences between the clearance of apoptotic cells by professional and non-professional phagocytes. Curr Biol 10: 857–860. , , .
- 1984. Continual breakdown and regeneration of myelin in progressive multiple sclerosis plaques. Ann N Y Acad Sci 436: 11–32. , , , .
- 2002. Heightened intrathecal release of axonal cytoskeletal proteins in multiple sclerosis is associated with progressive disease and clinical disability. J Neuroimmunol 122: 132–139. , , .
- 2002. Patients with progressive multiple sclerosis have elevated antibodies to neurofilament subunit. Neurology 58: 1372–1381. , , , .
- 2011. Inflammation, demyelination, and degeneration—recent insights from MS pathology. Biochim Biophys Acta 1812: 275–282. , , .
- 1998. Multiple sclerosis: In situ evidence for antibody- and complement-mediated demyelination. Ann Neurol 43: 465–471. , , , , , .
- 2009. Engulfment of axon debris by microglia requires p38 MAPK activity. J Biol Chem 284: 21626–21636. , , .
- 2009. Costimulatory pathways in multiple sclerosis: Distinctive expression of PD-1 and PD-L1 in patients with different patterns of disease. J Immunol. 183: 4984–4993. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Axonal pathology in multiple sclerosis: Relationship to neurologic disability. Curr Opin Neurol 12: 295–302. , , .
- 2011. Autoantibodies to neuronal surface antigens in thyroid antibody-positive and -negative limbic encephalitis. Neurol India 59: 47–50. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Endogenous antibodies promote rapid myelin clearance and effective axon regeneration after nerve injury. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107: 11993–11998. , , , , .
- 1999. The role of anti-myelin (auto)-antibodies in the phagocytosis of myelin by macrophages. J Neuroimmunol 101: 61–67. , , , , .
- 2005. Determination of the sequential degradation of myelin proteins by macrophages. J Neuroimmunol 161: 12–20. , , , , , .
- 2010. Alpha B-crystallin is a target for adaptive immune responses and a trigger of innate responses in preactive multiple sclerosis lesions. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 69: 694–703. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Brain antigens in functionally distinct antigen-presenting cell populations in cervical lymph nodes in MS and distinct EAE models. J Mol Med 87: 273–286. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Axon-reactive B cells clonally expanded in the cerebrospinal fluid of patients with multiple sclerosis. J Clin Immunol 25: 254–264. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .