Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms
Astrocyte stellation, a process dependent on Rac1 is sustained by the regulated exocytosis of enlargeosomes†
Version of Record online: 5 DEC 2011
Copyright © 2011 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 60, Issue 3, pages 465–475, March 2012
How to Cite
Racchetti, G., D'Alessandro, R. and Meldolesi, J. (2012), Astrocyte stellation, a process dependent on Rac1 is sustained by the regulated exocytosis of enlargeosomes. Glia, 60: 465–475. doi: 10.1002/glia.22280
- Issue online: 23 JAN 2012
- Version of Record online: 5 DEC 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 NOV 2011
- Manuscript Received: 14 OCT 2011
- Italian Institute of Technology and Telethon. Grant Number: GGGP09066
- 2003.Astrocyte stellation induced by Rho kinase inhibitors in culture.Dev Brain Res 143:99–104. , .
- 2006.Cdc42 and actin control polarized expression of TiVAMP vesicles to neuronal growth cones and their fusion with the plasma membrane. Mol.Biol Cell 17:1194–1203. , , , , , .
- 2007.The cyclic GMP-protein kinase G pathway regulates cytoskeleton dynamics and motility of astrocytes.J Neurochem 102:216–230. , .
- 2002.Regulated exocytosis: A novel, widely expressed system.Nat Cell Biol 4:955–962. , , , , , .
- 2002.The synapse-astrocyte boundary: An anatomical basis for an integrative role of glia in synaptic transmission. In:VolterraA, et al., editors. The tripartite synapse: Glia in synaptic transmission.Oxford:Oxford University Press. pp 3–23. , , .
- 2005.Regulated exocytosis: New organelles for non-secretory purposes.Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 6:181–187. , .
- 2007.Enlargeosome traffic: Exocytosis triggered by various signals is followed by endocytosis, membrane shedding or both.Traffic 8:742–757. , , , .
- 2008.Expression of the neurosecretory process in PC12 cells is governed by REST.J Neurochem 105:1369–1383. , , , , , .
- 2001.Peripheral astrocyte processing: Monitoring by selective immunostaining for the actin-binding ERM proteins.Glia 36:330–341. , .
- 2007.A pharmacological activator of AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) induces astrocyte stellation.Brain Res 1168:1–10. , .
- 2003.Roles of Rho-family GTPases in cell polarisation and directional migration.Curr Opin Cell Biol 15:590–597. , , .
- 2005.Rho GTPases and the control of cell behavior.Biochem Soc Trans 33:891–895. .
- 1998.Molecular dissection of the Rho-associated protein kinase (p160ROCK)-regulated neurite remodeling in neuroblastoma N1E-115 cells.J Cell Biol 141:625–636. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005.Role of Rho GTPase in astrocyte morphology and migratory response during in vitro wound healing.J Neurochem 9:1237–1248. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004.Interleukin-1β induces reactive astroglial phenotype via deactivation of the Rho GTPase-Rock axis.J Neurosci 24:2837–2845. , , , , , .
- 1999.Multiplicity and diversity of regulated exocytosis in wild-type and defective PC12 cells.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 96:945–949. , , , , , , .
- 2011.The Rho kinas inhibitor Fasudil upregulates astrocytic glutamate transport subsequent to actin re-modeling in murine cultured astrocytes.Br J Pharmacol 163:533–545. , , , .
- 2011.Structural plasticity of perisynaptic astrocyte processes involves ezrin and metabotropic glutamate receptors.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 108:12915–12919. , , , , .
- 2010.Secretase-independent and RhoGTPase/PAK/ERK-dependent regulation of cytoskeleton dynamics in astrocytes by NSAIDs and derivatives.J Alzheimers Dis 22:1135–1155. , , , , , , .
- 1974.Brain cells in culture: Morphological transformation by a protein.Science 185:63–66. ,
- 1973.Maturation-stimulated effect of brain extract and dibutyryl cyclic AMP on dissociated embryonic brain cells in culture.Exp Cell Res 79:243–246. , , .
- 2011.How important are Rho GTPases in neurosecretion?J Neurochem 117:623–631 , , , , , .
- 2004.Endocytic recycling.Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 5:121–132. , .
- 2011.Neurite outgrowth: This process, first discovered by Santiago Ramon y Cajal, is sustained by the exocytosis of two distinct types of vesicles.Brain Res Rev 66:246–255. .
- 1975.Variability of the effects of serum-free medium, dibutyryl cyclic AMP or theophilline on the morphology of cultured new-born rat astrocytes.Cell Tissue Res 163:365–372. , , , .
- 2001.Cell surface area regulation and membrane tension.J Membr Biol 179:79–102. , .
- 2008.Rho-kinase phosphorylates PAR-3 and disrupts PAR complex formation.Dev Cell 14:205–215. , , , , , , , .
- 2000.Use and properties of ROCK-specific inhibitor Y27632.Methods Enzymol 325:273–284. , , .
- 1994.Extracellular ATP induces stellation and increases glial fibrillary acidic protein content and DNA synthesis in primary astrocyte cultures.Acta Neuropathol 87:8–13. , , , .
- 2006.FilGAP, Rho- and ROCK-regulated GAP for Rac, binds filamin A to control actin remodeling.Nat Cell Biol 8:803–814. , , .
- 2010.Gliotransmission: Exocytotic release from astrocytes.Brain Res Rev 63:83–92. , .
- 2006.Secramine inhibits Cdc42-dependent functions in cells and Cdc42 activation in vitro.Nat Chem Biol 2:39–46. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009.Plasma membrane expansion: A neuron's herculean task.Nat Neurosci 10:251–261. .
- 2011.REST/NRSF governs the expression of dense-core vesicle gliosecretion in astrocytes.J Cell Biol 193:537–549. , , , , , , .
- 2010.Rapid neurite outgrowth in neurosecretory cells and neurons is sustained by the exocytosis of a cytoplasmic organelle, the enlargeosome.J Cell Sci 123:165–170. , , , , , , .
- 2011.Morphology and dynamics of perisynaptic glia.Brain Res Rev 63:11–26. , , .
- 2006.Rho GTPases and actin dynamics in membrane protrusions and vesicle trafficking.Trends Cell Biol 16:522–529. .
- 2007.Pituicyte stellation is prevented by RhoA- or Cdc42-dependent actin polymerization.Cell Mol Neurobiol 27:791–804. , , , , , , .
- 2005.Inhibition of Rho-kinase affects astrocytoma morphology, motility and invasion through activation of Rac1.Cancer Res 65:8792–8800. , , , , , , .
- 2007.Specificity and mechanism of action of EHT 1864, a novel small molecule inhibitor of Rac family small GTPases.J Biol Chem 282:35666–35678. , , , , , .
- 1997.Astrocyte spreading in response to thrombin and lysophosphatidic acid is dependent on the Rho GTPase.Glia 21:244–252. , , , .
- 2007.Rho-kinase modulates the function of STEF, a Rac GEF, through its phosphorylation.Biochem Biophys Res Comm 355:788–794. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008.Activity-dependent structural and functional plasticity of astrocyte-neuron interactions.Physiol Rev 88:983–1008. , , .
- 2011.REST, TSC2 and β-catenin, interconnected in a signaling loop, govern proliferation and functions in PC12 neural cells.J Cell Sci 124:3174–3186. , , , , , , , .
- 2005.Astrocytes, from brain glue to communication elements: The revolution continues.Nat Rev Neurosci 6:626–640. , .
- 2010.Differential phosphorylation of RhoGDI mediates the distinct cycling of Cdc42 and Rac1 to regulate second phase insulin secretion.J Biol Chem 285:6186–6197. , .
- 2001.RhoA inhibits the nerve growth factor-induced Rac1 activation through Rho-associated kinase-dependent pathway.J Biol Chem 276:18977–18983. , , , , .
- 2010.Astrogliosis in CNS pathologies: Is there a role for microglia?Mol Neurobiol 41:232–241. , , , , .