Antoinette Bailey, Huayan Hou, Min Song contributed equally to this work
GFAP expression and social deficits in transgenic mice overexpressing human sAPPα
Article first published online: 10 JUL 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 61, Issue 9, pages 1556–1569, September 2013
How to Cite
Bailey, A. R., Hou, H., Song, M., Obregon, D. F., Portis, S., Barger, S., Shytle, D., Stock, S., Mori, T., Sanberg, P. G., Murphy, T. and Tan, J. (2013), GFAP expression and social deficits in transgenic mice overexpressing human sAPPα. Glia, 61: 1556–1569. doi: 10.1002/glia.22544
- Issue published online: 26 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 10 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 14 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 15 NOV 2012
- Silver Endowment
- NIH/NIMH. Grant Number: R21MH087849
- 1993. Glial fibrillary acidic protein in the cerebrospinal fluid of children with autism and other neuropsychiatric disorders. Biol Psychiatry 33:734–743. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Neuroanatomy of autism. Trends Neurosci 31:137–145. , , .
- APA. 2000. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th ed, Text Revision (DSM-IV-TR). Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc.
- 1998. A clinicopathological study of autism. Brain 121:889–905. , , , , , , , .
- others. 2012. Aberrant T-lymphocyte development and function in mice overexpressing human soluble amyloid precursor protein-alpha: Implications for autism. FASEB J 26:1040–1051. , , , , , , , , , and
- 2012. Secreted amyloid precursor proteins promote proliferation and glial differentiation of adult hippocampal neural progenitor cells. Hippocampus 22:1517–1527. , , , , .
- 2001. Activation of microglia by secreted amyloid precursor protein evokes release of glutamate by cystine exchange and attenuates synaptic function. J Neurochem 76:846–854. , .
- 1995. Role of cyclic GMP in the regulation of neuronal calcium and survival by secreted forms of beta-amyloid precursor. J Neurochem 64:2087–2096. , , , , .
- 1997. Microglial activation by Alzheimer amyloid precursor protein and modulation by apolipoprotein E. Nature 388:878–881. , .
- 2005. Neuroanatomic observations of the brain in autism: A review and future directions. Int J Dev Neurosci 23:183–187. , .
- 2008. Ciliary neurotrophic factor-mediated signaling regulates neuronal versus glial differentiation of retinal stem cells/progenitors by concentration-dependent recruitment of mitogen-activated protein kinase and Janus kinase-signal transducer and activator of transcription pathways in conjunction with Notch signaling. Stem Cells 26:2611–2624. , , , .
- 2001. Anterior insular cortex: Linking intestinal pathology and brain function in autism-spectrum subgroups. Med Hypotheses 57:714–717. .
- 1997. Regulation of gliogenesis in the central nervous system by the JAK-STAT signaling pathway. Science 278:477–483. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Neuropathological and genetic findings in autism: The significance of a putative minicolumnopathy. Neuroscientist 12:435–441. .
- 2006. Minicolumnar abnormalities in autism. Acta Neuropathol 112:287–303. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. sAPPalpha antagonizes dendritic degeneration and neuron death triggered by proteasomal stress. Mol Cell Neurosci 44:386–393. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Designing mouse behavioral tasks relevant to autistic-like behaviors. Ment Retard Dev Disabil Res Rev 10:248–258. .
- 2002. Evidence for binding of the ectodomain of amyloid precursor protein 695 and activated high molecular weight kininogen. Biochim Biophys Acta 1571:225–238. , , , .
- 2000. Proteolytic processing and cell biological functions of the amyloid precursor protein. J Cell Sci 113:1857–1870. , .
- 2009. Cytokines and CNS development. Neuron 64:61–78. , .
- 2002. Telomerase mediates the cell survival-promoting actions of brain-derived neurotrophic factor and secreted amyloid precursor protein in developing hippocampal neurons. J Neurosci 22:10710–10719. , , .
- 1996. Activation of K+ channels and suppression of neuronal activity by secreted beta-amyloid-precursor protein. Nature 379:74–78. , , , .
- 1998. Secreted amyloid precursor protein alpha selectively suppresses N-methyl-D-aspartate currents in hippocampal neurons: involvement of cyclic GMP. Neuroscience 83:429–438. , .
- 2002. The role of notch in promoting glial and neural stem cell fates. Annu Rev Neurosci 25:471–490. , .
- 2000. Autism and Asperger syndrome: Coexistence with other clinical disorders. Acta Psychiatr Scand 102:321–330. , .
- 2003. Delta-Notch signaling controls the generation of neurons/glia from neural stem cells in a stepwise process. Development 130:1391–1402. , , , , , .
- 1991. Developmental neurobiology. New York: Plenum Press. .
- 1990. Neuronal plasticity and astrocytic reaction in Down syndrome and Alzheimer disease. J Neurol Sci 98:63–79. , , .
- 2010. Involvement of gp130-associated cytokine signaling in Muller cell activation following optic nerve lesion. Glia 58:768–779. , , , .
- 1996. Cell surface APP751 forms complexes with protease nexin 2 ligands and is internalized via the low density lipoprotein receptor-related protein (LRP). Brain Res 740:6–14. , , .
- 1995. LDL receptor-related protein, a multifunctional ApoE receptor, binds secreted beta-amyloid precursor protein and mediates its degradation. Cell 82:331–340. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. The role of the glycoprotein gp130 in serotonin mediator system in mouse brain. Mol Biol (Mosk) 44:904–910. , , , , , .
- 2006a. Amyloid precursor protein regulates differentiation of human neural stem cells. Stem Cells Dev 15:381–389. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006b. Amyloid precursor protein is involved in staurosporine induced glial differentiation of neural progenitor cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 344:431–437. , , .
- 2010. Amyloid-beta precursor protein induces glial differentiation of neural progenitor cells by activation of the IL-6/gp130 signaling pathway. Neurotox Res 18:328–338. , , , , .
- 2011. Involvement of notch signaling pathway in amyloid precursor protein induced glial differentiation. Eur J Pharmacol 650:18–27. , , , , , .
- 2005. Notch signaling, brain development, and human disease. Pediatr Res 57:104R–109R. , .
- 2005. Glial fibrillary acidic protein is elevated in superior frontal, parietal and cerebellar cortices of autistic subjects. Cerebellum 4:206–210. , .
- 2000. Neuronal-glial interactions mediated by interleukin-1 enhance neuronal acetylcholinesterase activity and mRNA expression. J Neurosci 20:149–155. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Characterization of the neurotrophic interaction between nerve growth factor and secreted alpha-amyloid precursor protein. J Neurosci Res 63:410–420. , , , , .
- 2005. Course of autism signs in the first year of life. Psychopathology 38:26–31. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Role of interleukin-6 and soluble IL-6 receptor in region-specific induction of astrocytic differentiation and neurotrophin expression. Glia 26:191–200. , , , , .
- 1992. Amyloid precursor protein is localized in growing neurites of neonatal rat brain. Brain Res 593:323–328. , , , .
- 1997. Cellular actions of beta-amyloid precursor protein and its soluble and fibrillogenic derivatives. Physiol Rev 77:1081–1132. .
- 1993a. beta-Amyloid precursor protein metabolites and loss of neuronal Ca2+ homeostasis in Alzheimer's disease. Trends Neurosci 16:409–414. , , , , , .
- 1993b. Evidence for excitoprotective and intraneuronal calcium-regulating roles for secreted forms of the beta-amyloid precursor protein. Neuron 10:243–254. , , , , , .
- 1992. The amyloid protein precursor of Alzheimer's disease is a mediator of the effects of nerve growth factor on neurite outgrowth. Neuron 9:129–137. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Neurotrophic and neuroprotective effects of hAPP in transgenic mice. Ann N Y Acad Sci 777:82–88. , , .
- 2007. Cross talk between notch and growth factor/cytokine signaling pathways in neural stem cells. Mol Cell Biol 27:3982–3994. , , .
- 2011. Roles of glial cells in neural circuit formation: insights from research in insects. Glia 59:1273–1295. , .
- 2012. STAT3 signaling after traumatic brain injury. J Neurochem 120:710–720. , , , , .
- 2011. Increased secreted amyloid precursor protein-alpha (sAPPalpha) in severe autism: Proposal of a specific, anabolic pathway and putative biomarker. PLoS ONE 6:e20405. , , , .
- 2005. Interaction and imitation deficits from infancy to 4 years of age in children with autism: A pilot study based on videotapes. Autism 9:69–82. , , , , , .
- 1994. Increase of synaptic density and memory retention by a peptide representing the trophic domain of the amyloid beta/A4 protein precursor. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 91:7450–7454. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Activated Notch1 is a stronger astrocytic stimulus than leukemia inhibitory factor for rat neural stem cells. Int J Dev Biol 53:947–953. , , , , .
- 2000. Pathological and neuropathological findings in two males with fragile-X syndrome. J Intellect Disabil Res 44:81–85. .
- 2001. Secreted forms of the amyloid-beta precursor protein are ligands for the class A scavenger receptor. J Biol Chem 276:30655–30661. , , , .
- 1988. Beta-amyloid precursor protein of Alzheimer disease occurs as 110- to 135-kilodalton membrane-associated proteins in neural and nonneural tissues. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 85:7341–7345. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Secreted forms of beta-amyloid precursor protein protect against ischemic brain injury. J Neurochem 63:781–784. , , , , , .
- 2010. Astrocytes: biology and pathology. Acta Neuropathol 119:7–35. , .
- 2006. High levels of Alzheimer beta-amyloid precursor protein (APP) in children with severely autistic behavior and aggression. J Child Neurol 21:444–449. , , , , , , .
- 2012. The complement system: an unexpected role in synaptic pruning during development and disease. Annu Rev Neurosci 35:369–389. , , .
- 2008. What's new in autism? Eur J Pediatrics 167:1091–1101. , .
- 2008. Mechanism of glial differentiation of neural progenitor cells by amyloid precursor protein. Neurodegener Dis 5:170–172. .
- 2007. Practical issues in stem cell therapy for Alzheimer's disease. Curr Alzheimer Res 4:370–377. , , , , , .
- 2005. Role of IL-6 in the neural stem cell differentiation. Clin Rev Allergy Immunol 28:249–256. , .
- 2003. Roles of amyloid precursor protein and its fragments in regulating neural activity, plasticity and memory. Prog Neurobiol 70:1–32. , , , .
- 2005. Neuroglial activation and neuroinflammation in the brain of patients with autism. Ann Neurol 57:67–81. , , , , .
- 2000. Up a notch: Instructing gliogenesis. Neuron 27:197–200. , .
- 2002. Induction of STAT3 signaling in activated astrocytes and sprouting septal neurons following entorhinal cortex lesion in adult rats. Mol Cell Neurosci 21:379–392. , , , .
- 2011. CD45 deficiency drives amyloid-beta peptide oligomers and neuronal loss in Alzheimer's disease mice. J Neurosci 31:1355–1365. , , , , , , , , , , et al.