Genome wide assessment of mRNA in astrocyte protrusions by direct RNA sequencing reveals mRNA localization for the intermediate filament protein nestin
Version of Record online: 5 SEP 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 61, Issue 11, pages 1922–1937, November 2013
How to Cite
Thomsen, R., Pallesen, J., Daugaard, T. F., Børglum, A. D. and Nielsen, A. L. (2013), Genome wide assessment of mRNA in astrocyte protrusions by direct RNA sequencing reveals mRNA localization for the intermediate filament protein nestin. Glia, 61: 1922–1937. doi: 10.1002/glia.22569
- Issue online: 20 SEP 2013
- Version of Record online: 5 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 31 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 9 JAN 2013
- 2009. Neuroscience: Glia—More than just brain glue. Nature 457:675–677. , .
- 1984. Astrocytic cell clones derived from established cultures of 8-day postnatal mouse cerebella. Brain Res 306:283–291. , .
- 1994. Thyroid hormones influence the astroglial plasticity: Changes in the expression of glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP) and of its encoding message. Neurochem Res 19:65–69. , , , , .
- 2012. FMRP targets distinct mRNA sequence elements to regulate protein expression. Nature 492:382–386. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. From mRNP trafficking to spine dysmorphogenesis: The roots of fragile X syndrome. Nat Rev Neurosci 6:376–387. , .
- 2008. Fragile X syndrome: Loss of local mRNA regulation alters synaptic development and function. Neuron 60:201–214. , .
- 2007a. Identification and characterization of GFAPkappa, a novel glial fibrillary acidic protein isoform. Glia 55:497–507. , , , , , .
- 2007b. Regulatory mechanisms for 3'-end alternative splicing and polyadenylation of the glial fibrillary acidic protein, GFAP, transcript. Nucleic Acids Res 35:7636–7650. , , , , .
- 2001. Microarray identification of FMRP-associated brain mRNAs and altered mRNA translational profiles in fragile X syndrome. Cell 107:477–487. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Messengers, motors and mysteries: Sorting of eukaryotic mRNAs by cytoskeletal transport. Biochem Soc Trans 39:1161–1165. .
- 2008. A transcriptome database for astrocytes, neurons, and oligodendrocytes: A new resource for understanding brain development and function. J Neurosci 28:264–278. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Spef1, a conserved novel testis protein found in mouse sperm flagella. Gene 353:189–199. , , , .
- 2003. Nestin promotes the phosphorylation-dependent disassembly of Vimentin intermediate filaments during mitosis. Mol Biol Cell 14:1468–1478. , , , .
- 1999. Structural features of the rat GFAP gene and identification of a novel alternative transcript. J Neurosci Res 56:219–228. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Nestin mRNA expression correlates with the central nervous system progenitor cell state in many, but not all, regions of developing central nervous system. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 84:109–129. , , .
- 2001. Fragile X mental retardation protein targets G quartet mRNAs important for neuronal function. Cell 107:489–499. , , , , , .
- 2011. FMRP stalls ribosomal translocation on mRNAs linked to synaptic function and autism. Cell 146:247–261. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Subventricular zone astrocytes are neural stem cells in the adult mammalian brain. Cell 97:703–716. , , , , .
- 2011. Mechanisms of dendritic mRNA transport and its role in synaptic tagging. EMBO J 30:3540–3552. , .
- 2001. Local translation of classes of mRNAs that are targeted to neuronal dendrites. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 98:7080–7085. , , , .
- 1999. Intermediate filament protein partnership in astrocytes. J Biol Chem 274:23996–24006. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Introducing intermediate filaments: From discovery to disease. J Clin Invest 119:1763–1771. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Actin and microtubules in cell motility: Which one is in control? Traffic 5:470–477. .
- 2012. Growth cone MKK7 mRNA targeting regulates MAP1b-dependent microtubule bundling to control neurite elongation. PLoS Biol 10:e1001439. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Visualization of single RNA transcripts in situ. Science 280:585–590. , , , .
- 2010. Specification and morphogenesis of astrocytes. Science 330:774–778. .
- 2008. Nestin in central nervous system cells. Neurosci Behav Physiol 38:165–169. .
- 2009. Intermediate filaments: Primary determinants of cell architecture and plasticity. J Clin Invest 119:1772–1783. , , , .
- 2006. Phenotypic and functional heterogeneity of GFAP-expressing cells in vitro: Differential expression of LeX/CD15 by GFAP-expressing multipotent neural stem cells and non-neurogenic astrocytes. Glia 53:277–293. , , , .
- 2001. A block to mRNA nuclear export in S. cerevisiae leads to hyperadenylation of transcripts that accumulate at the site of transcription. Mol Cell 7:887–898. , , , .
- 1982. Retinoic acid induces embryonal carcinoma cells to differentiate into neurons and glial cells. J Cell Biol 94:253–262. , , , .
- 2012. beta-Actin mRNA compartmentalization enhances focal adhesion stability and directs cell migration. Genes Dev 26:1885–1890. , , , , , .
- 2009. Fragile X mental retardation protein FMRP binds mRNAs in the nucleus. Mol Cell Biol 29:214–228. , , .
- 2012. Dendritic mRNA targeting and translation. Adv Exp Med Biol 970:285–305. , .
- 1994. Cellular influences on RNA sorting in neurons and glia: An in situ hybridization histochemical study. Brain Res Mol Brain Res 27:1–11. , , , .
- 2007. Global analysis of mRNA localization reveals a prominent role in organizing cellular architecture and function. Cell 131:174–187. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Localization of transitin mRNA, a Nestin-like intermediate filament family member, in chicken radial glia processes. J Comp Neurol 418:473–483. , .
- 2009. Tensin3 is a negative regulator of cell migration and all four Tensin family members are downregulated in human kidney cancer. PLoS One 4:e4350. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Differential mRNA localization in astroglial cells in culture. J Comp Neurol 430:56–71. , .
- 2010. The role of G-quadruplex in RNA metabolism: Involvement of FMRP and FMR2P. Biochimie 92:919–926. , .
- 2005. Nestin structure and predicted function in cellular cytoskeletal organisation. Histol Histopathol 20:665–671. , .
- 2010. GFAPdelta in radial glia and subventricular zone progenitors in the developing human cortex. Development 137:313–321. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. GFAP in health and disease. Prog Neurobiol 93:421–443. , .
- 2009. RNA localization and polarity: From A(PC) to Z(BP). Trends Cell Biol 19:156–164. , .
- 2008. Genome-wide screen reveals APC-associated RNAs enriched in cell protrusions. Nature 453:115–119. , , .
- 2005. Localization of all seven messenger RNAs for the actin-polymerization nucleator Arp2/3 complex in the protrusions of fibroblasts. J Cell Sci 118 (Part 11):2425–2433. , , , , , .
- 2003. Precursors of neurons, neuroglia, and ependymal cells in the CNS: What are they? Where are they from? How do they get where they are going? Glia 43:6–18. , .
- 2002. A new splice variant of glial fibrillary acidic protein, GFAP epsilon, interacts with the presenilin proteins. J Biol Chem 277:29983–29991. , , , , , .
- 2004. Self-assembly of the cytoskeletal glial fibrillary acidic protein is inhibited by an isoform-specific C terminus. J Biol Chem 279:41537–41545. , .
- 2009. Direct RNA sequencing. Nature 461:814–818. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Amplification-free digital gene expression profiling from minute cell quantities. Nat Methods 7:619–621. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. GFAP-deficient astrocytes are capable of stellation in vitro when cocultured with neurons and exhibit a reduced amount of intermediate filaments and an increased cell saturation density. Exp Cell Res 239:332–343. , , , , , , .
- 2007. The role of astrocytes and complement system in neural plasticity. Int Rev Neurobiol 82:95–111. , , , .
- 2005. Vimentin-dependent spatial translocation of an activated MAP kinase in injured nerve. Neuron 45:715–726. , , , , , .
- 1998. Rapid movements of Vimentin on microtubule tracks: Kinesin-dependent assembly of intermediate filament networks. J Cell Biol 143:159–170. , , , , .
- 2007. GFAP and its role in Alexander disease. Exp Cell Res 313:2077–2087. , , , .
- 2001. The fragile X mental retardation protein binds specifically to its mRNA via a purine quartet motif. EMBO J 20:4803–4813. , , , , , .
- 2010. Pseudopodial actin dynamics control epithelial-mesenchymal transition in metastatic cancer cells. Cancer Res 70:3780–3790. , , , , , .
- 2005. RNA localization. J Cell Sci 118 (Part 18):4077–4081. , .
- 2001. The physiological significance of beta-actin mRNA localization in determining cell polarity and directional motility. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 98:7045–7050. , , .
- 2010. Astrocytes: Biology and pathology. Acta Neuropathol 119:7–35. , .
- 2011. Defining cell populations with single-cell gene expression profiling: Correlations and identification of astrocyte subpopulations. Nucleic Acids Res 39:e24. , , , , , , .
- 1999. A high molecular weight intermediate filament-associated protein in BHK-21 cells is Nestin, a type VI intermediate filament protein. Limited co-assembly in vitro to form heteropolymers with type III Vimentin and type IV alpha-internexin. J Biol Chem 274:9881–9890. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. G-quadruplex RNA structure as a signal for neurite mRNA targeting. EMBO Rep 12:697–704. , , , , , .
- 2009. RNA-mediated pathogenesis in fragile X-associated disorders. Neurosci Lett 466:103–108. , , .
- 2010. Increased levels of FoxA1 transcription factor in pluripotent P19 embryonal carcinoma cells stimulate neural differentiation. Stem Cells Dev 19:1365–1374. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Axonal mRNA in uninjured and regenerating cortical mammalian axons. J Neurosci 29:4697–4707. , , , , , .
- 2011. A Boyden chamber-based method for characterization of astrocyte protrusion localized RNA and protein. Glia 59:1782–1792. , .
- 2010. Analysis of qPCR data by converting exponentially related Ct values into linearly related X0 values. J Bioinform Comput Biol 8:885–900. , , , , .
- 2003. The Vimentin cytoskeleton regulates focal contact size and adhesion of endothelial cells subjected to shear stress. J Cell Sci 116 (Part 24):4977–4984. , .
- 2010. Regulation of protein levels in subcellular domains through mRNA transport and localized translation. Mol Cell Proteom 9:952–962. , .
- 2007. Extracellular stimuli specifically regulate localized levels of individual neuronal mRNAs. J Cell Biol 178:965–980. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Mouse Nestin protein localizes in growth cones of P19 neurons and cerebellar granule cells. Neurosci Lett 302:89–92. , , , .
- 1998. Motile properties of Vimentin intermediate filament networks in living cells. J Cell Biol 143:147–157. , , , .
- 2010. Identification of a novel Vimentin promoter and mRNA isoform. Mol Biol Rep 37:2407–2413. , , .
- 2007. Glial fibrillary acidic protein-expressing cells in the neurogenic regions in normal and injured adult brains. J Neurosci Res 85:2783–2792. , .