Longitudinal study of chronic depressive symptoms and regional cerebral blood flow in older men and women
Version of Record online: 29 MAY 2009
Copyright © 2009 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry
Special Issue: Neuroimaging in Geriatric Psychiatry
Volume 24, Issue 8, pages 809–819, August 2009
How to Cite
Dotson, V. M., Beason-Held, L., Kraut, M. A. and Resnick, S. M. (2009), Longitudinal study of chronic depressive symptoms and regional cerebral blood flow in older men and women. Int. J. Geriat. Psychiatry, 24: 809–819. doi: 10.1002/gps.2298
- Issue online: 10 JUL 2009
- Version of Record online: 29 MAY 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 MAR 2009
- Manuscript Received: 29 OCT 2008
- Intramural Research Program of the NIH
- National Institute on Aging
- 2002. Frontostriatal and limbic dysfunction in late-life depression. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 10: 687–695. .
- 2006. The vascular depression hypothesis: 10 years later. Biol Psychiatry 60: 1304–1305. .
- 2000. Depressive spectrum diagnoses. Compr Psychiatry 41: 39–47. , , .
- 1998. Depressive symptomatology and incident cognitive decline in an elderly community sample. Arch Gen Psychiatry 55: 1073–1081. , , .
- 1997. Criterion validity of the Center for Epidemiologic Studies Depression Scale (CES-D): results from a community-based sample of older subjects in The Netherlands. Psychol Med 27: 231–235. , , , et al.
- 1995. The association of physical health and depressive symptoms in the older population: age and sex differences. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 30: 32–38. , , , .
- 2004. Cerebral infarctions and the relationship of depression symptoms to level of cognitive functioning in older persons. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 12: 211–219. , , , et al.
- 1982. The contemporary natural history of mental disorder in old age. Br J Psychiatry 141: 59–67. , .
- 2004. Deficits in hippocampal and anterior cingulate functioning during verbal declarative memory encoding in midlife major depression. Am J Psychiatry 161: 637–645. , , , et al.
- 2007. Depressive symptoms as a predictor of cognitive decline: MacArthur studies of successful aging. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 15: 406–415. , , , .
- 2008. Subsyndromal depression in old age: clinical significance and impact in a multi-ethnic community sample of elderly Singaporeans. Int Psychogeriatr 20: 188–200. , , , et al.
- 2005. Depressive symptoms, sex, and risk for Alzheimer's disease. Ann Neurol 57: 381–387. , , , et al.
- 2003. Changes in regional cerebral blood flow with venlafaxine in the treatment of major depression. Am J Psychiatry 160: 374–376. , , , et al.
- 2000. Neuroimaging studies of mood disorders. Biol Psychiatry 48: 813–829. .
- 2002. Principal components of the Beck depression inventory and regional cerebral metabolism in unipolar and bipolar depression. Biol Psychiatry 51: 387–399. , , , et al.
- 2003. Neuropsychological deficits among patients with late-onset minor and major depression. Arch Clin Neuropsychol 18: 529–549. , , , et al.
- 1997. Prefrontal dysfunction in depressed patients performing a complex planning task: a study using positron emission tomography. Psychol Med 27: 931–942. , , , et al.
- 1992. The Zurich Study XII: sex differences in depression. Evidence from longitudinal epidemiological data. Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 241: 222–230. , .
- 2008. A meta-analytic study of changes in brain activation in depression. Hum Brain Mapp 29: 683–695. , , , .
- 2003. Exploring sex differences in the relationship between depressive symptoms and dementia incidence: prospective results from the PAQUID Study. J Am Geriatr Soc 51: 1055–1063. , , .
- 2000. Subthreshold depression in the elderly: qualitative or quantitative distinction? Compr Psychiatry 41: 32–38. , .
- 2000. Plato versus Aristotle: categorical and dimensional models for common mental disorders. Compr Psychiatry 41: 8–13. .
- 2004. The criterion validity of the Center for Epidemiological Studies Depression Scale (CES-D) in a sample of self-referred elders with depressive symptomatology. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 19: 558–563. , , , .
- 2006. Response-dependent differences in regional cerebral blood flow changes with citalopram in treatment of major depression. J Nucl Med 47: 1319–1325. , , , et al.
- 2000. Age-specific incidence rates of Alzheimer's disease: the Baltimore longitudinal study of aging. Neurology 54: 2072–2077. , , , et al.
- 2008. Statistical parametric mapping analysis of the relationship between regional cerebral blood flow and symptom clusters of the depressive mood in patients with pre-dialytic chronic kidney disease. Ann Nucl Med 22: 201–206. , , , .
- 2002. Regional cerebral glucose utilization in patients with a range of severities of unipolar depression. Biol Psychiatry 51: 237–252. , , , et al.
- 2000. Volumetric asymmetries in late-onset mood disorders: an attenuation of frontal asymmetry with depression severity. Psychiatry Res 100: 41–47. , , , .
- 1998. Late-onset minor and major depression: early evidence for common neuroanatomical substrates detected by using MRI. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 95: 7654–7658. , , , et al.
- 1997. Neuroanatomical substrates of late-life minor depression: a quantitative magnetic resonance imaging study. Arch Neurol 54: 613– 617. , , , et al.
- 2004. Sex differences in brain structure in geriatric depression. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 12: 653–657. , , , et al.
- 2000. Differential limbic–cortical correlates of sadness and anxiety in healthy subjects: implications for affective disorders. Biol Psychiatry 48: 30–42. , , , et al.
- 2003. Positron emission tomography imaging in depression: a neural systems perspective. Neuroimaging Clin N Am 13: 805–815. .
- 1984. Clinical diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease: report of the NINCDS-ADRDA Work Group under the auspices of Department of Health and Human Services Task Force on Alzheimer's Disease. Neurology 34: 939–944. , , , et al.
- 2007. Why females are mosaics, X-chromosome inactivation, and sex differences in disease. Gend Med 4: 97–105. .
- 2005. Neuroanatomic correlates of psychopathologic components of major depressive disorder. Arch Gen Psychiatry 62: 397–408. , , , et al.
- 1993. The clinical dementia rating (CDR): current version and scoring rules. Neurology 43: 2412–2414. .
- 2002. Effects of medications on cerebral blood flow in late-life depression. Curr Psychiatry Rep 4: 51–58. , , .
- 2000. Gender differences in depression: critical review. Br J Psychiatry 177: 486–492. , .
- 1977. The CES-D scale: a self-report depression scale for research in the general population. Appl Psychol Meas 1: 385–401. .
- 2003. Letter and semantic fluency in older adults: effects of mild depressive symptoms and age-stratified normative data. Clin Neuropsychol 17: 195–202. , , , .
- 2000. One-year age changes in MRI brain volumes in older adults. Cereb Cortex 10: 464–472. , , , et al.
- 2002. Acute and chronic effects of citalopram on cerebral glucose metabolism in geriatric depression. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 10: 715–723. , , , et al.
- 2005. Male elderly subthreshold depression patients have smaller volume of medial part of prefrontal cortex and precentral gyrus compared with age-matched normal subjects: a voxel-based morphometry. J Affect Disord 88: 313–320. , , , et al.
- 2002. Frontal-subcortical neuronal circuits and clinical neuropsychiatry: an update. J Psychosom Res 53: 647–654. , .
- 2002. The Danish PET/depression project: clinical symptoms and cerebral blood flow: a regions-of-interest analysis. Acta Psychiatr Scand 106: 35–44. , , , et al.
- 1995. Gender differences in depression in primary care. Am J Obstet Gynecol 173: 654– 659. , , , et al.
- 2004. Depressive symptoms and cognitive decline in a community population of older persons. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 75: 126–129. , , , et al.