Assistant Professor at Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Canada and also Head of Centre for Addiction and Mental Health Memory Clinic, Canada.
Brief cognitive screening instruments: an update
Article first published online: 6 JUL 2009
Copyright © 2009 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry
Volume 25, Issue 2, pages 111–120, February 2010
How to Cite
Ismail, Z., Rajji, T. K. and Shulman, K. I. (2010), Brief cognitive screening instruments: an update. Int. J. Geriat. Psychiatry, 25: 111–120. doi: 10.1002/gps.2306
- Issue published online: 18 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 6 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 MAR 2009
- Manuscript Received: 21 JAN 2009
- 2007. Simple cognitive testing (Mini-Cog) predicts in-hospital delirium in the elderly. J Am Geriatr Soc 55(2): 314–316. , , , et al.
- 2003. Construct validity of the abbreviated mental test in older medical inpatients. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 15(4): 199–206. , , , , .
- 2008. Hippocampal morphology and distinguishing late-onset from early-onset elderly depression. Am J Psychiatry 165(2): 229–237. , , , et al.
- 2005. The French Addenbrooke's cognitive examination is effective in detecting dementia in a French-speaking population. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 19(1): 15–17. , , , et al.
- 2000. The mini-cog: a cognitive 'vital signs' measure for dementia screening in multi-lingual elderly. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 15(11): 1021–1027. , , , , .
- 2003. The Mini-Cog as a screen for dementia: validation in a population-based sample. J Am Geriatr Soc 51(10): 1451–1454. , , , .
- 2005. Simplifying detection of cognitive impairment: comparison of the Mini-Cog and Mini-Mental State Examination in a multiethnic sample. J Am Geriatr Soc 53(5): 871–874. , , , , .
- 2008. Measuring primary care patients' attitudes about dementia screening. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 23(8): 812–820. , , , et al.
- 1997. Age- and education-specific reference values for the Mini-Mental and modified Mini-Mental State Examinations derived from a non-demented elderly population. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 12(10): 1008–1018. , .
- 2007. Dementia screening in primary care: is it time? Jama 298(20): 2409–2411. , , .
- 2006. What is the best dementia screening instrument for general practitioners to use? Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 14(5): 391–400. , , , .
- 2002. The GPCOG: a new screening test for dementia designed for general practice. J Am Geriatr Soc 50(3): 530–534. , , , et al.
- 1999. Screening for dementia with the memory impairment screen. Neurology 52(2): 231–238. , , , et al.
- 1997. Screening for cognitive impairment in the elderly. Can Fam Physician 43: 1763–1768. , , .
- 1966. The Parietal Lobes. Hafner Publishing Company: New York. .
- 2005. The Addenbrooke's cognitive examination (ACE) in the differential diagnosis of early dementias versus affective disorder. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 13(3): 218–226. , , .
- 1994. Prevalence and types of dementia in the very old: results from the Canadian Study of Health and Aging. Neurology 44(9): 1593–1600. , , , .
- 1998. Mini-mental and son. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 13(5): 290–294. .
- 1975. Mini-mental state. A practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician. J Psychiatr Res 12(3): 189–198. , , .
- 2001. Screening for dementia in primary care - a viable proposition? Irish J Psych Med 18(2): 75–77. .
- 2007. Correlation and agreement between the Mini-mental State Examination and the Clock Drawing Test in older adults with low levels of schooling: the Bambui Health Aging Study (BHAS). Int Psychogeriatr 19: 657–667. , , , .
- 2006a. Validation of the Spanish version of the Addenbrooke's Cognitive Examination in a rural community in Spain. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 21(3): 239–245. , , , et al.
- 2006b. ACE clock scoring: a comparison with eight standard correction methods in a population of low educational level. J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol 19(4): 216–219. , , , et al.
- 2008. History of depression, depressive symptoms, and medial temporal lobe atrophy and the risk of Alzheimer disease. Neurology 70(15): 1258–1264. , , , , .
- 1972. Evaluation of a mental test score for assessment of mental impairment in the elderly. Age Ageing 1(4): 233–238. .
- 2008. Clock drawing performance in cognitively normal elderly. Arch Clin Neuropsychol 23(3): 295–327. , , .
- 2009. Primary care physicians' attitudes toward cognitive screening: findings from a national postal survey. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. , , , et al.
- 2006. Usefulness of the Rowland Universal Dementia Assessment scale in South India. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 77(4): 513–514. , , , et al.
- 1991. The abbreviated mental test: its use and validity. Age Ageing 20(5): 332–336. , , .
- 1997. Methods of screening for dementia: a meta-analysis of studies comparing an informant questionnaire with a brief cognitive test. Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord 11(3): 158–162. .
- 2008. Brief screening for mild cognitive impairment in elderly outpatient clinic: validation of the korean version of the montreal cognitive assessment. J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol 21(2): 104–110. , , .
- 2008. Time that tells: critical clock-drawing errors for dementia screening. Int Psychogeriatr 20(3): 459–470. , , , .
- 2002. Brief screening tests for dementia. Can J Psychiatry 47(8): 723–733. , , .
- 2009. Cross validation of the Montreal Cognitive Assessment in community dwelling older adults residing in the Southeastern US. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. , , .
- 2000. A brief cognitive test battery to differentiate Alzheimer's disease and frontotemporal dementia. Neurology 55(11): 1613–1620. , , , , .
- 2008. Screening for dementia in primary care: a review of the use, efficacy and quality of measures. Int Psychogeriatr 20: 911–926. , , , , .
- 2006. The Addenbrooke's Cognitive Examination Revised (ACE-R): a brief cognitive test battery for dementia screening. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 21(11): 1078–1085. , , , , .
- 2007. Activities of daily living in frontotemporal dementia and Alzheimer disease. Neurology 68(24): 2077–2084. , , , et al.
- 2009. A meta-analysis of the accuracy of the mini-mental state examination in the detection of dementia and mild cognitive impairment. J Psychiatr Res 43: 411–431. .
- 1997. A guide to the standardized Mini-Mental State Examination. Int Psychogeriatr 9 (Suppl 1): 87–94; discussion 143–150. , .
- 2006. Clinical utility of office-based cognitive predictors of fitness to drive in persons with dementia: a systematic review. J Am Geriatr Soc 54(12): 1809–1824. , , , , .
- 1989. The Consortium to Establish a Registry for Alzheimer's Disease (CERAD). Part I. Clinical and neuropsychological assessment of Alzheimer's disease. Neurology 39(9): 1159–1165. , , , et al.
- 2005. The Montreal Cognitive Assessment, MoCA: a brief screening tool for mild cognitive impairment. J Am Geriatr Soc 53(4): 695–699. , , , et al.
- 2006. Depression and risk for Alzheimer disease: systematic review, meta-analysis, and metaregression analysis. Arch Gen Psychiatry 63(5): 530–538. , , , et al.
- 2008. Current evidence for subjective cognitive impairment (SCI) as the pre-mild cognitive impairment (MCI) stage of subsequently manifest Alzheimer's disease. Int Psychogeriatr 20(1): 1–16. , .
- 2000. Executive cognitive impairment: a novel perspective on dementia. Neuroepidemiology 19(6): 293–299. .
- 2001. The validity of Hodkinson's Abbreviated Mental Test for dementia screening in Guipuzcoa, Spain. Eur J Neurol 8(5): 435–440. , , , et al.
- 2009. Limitations of the Mini-Mental State Examination for screening dementia in a community with low socioeconomic status: results from the Sao Paulo Ageing & Health Study. Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 259: 8–15. , , , , .
- 2000. Clock-drawing: is it the ideal cognitive screening test? Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 15(6): 548–561. .
- 2006. IPA survey of brief cognitive screening instruments. Int Psychogeriatr 18: 281–294. , , , et al.
- 2007. The Montreal Cognitive Assessment: validity and utility in a memory clinic setting. Can J Psychiatry 52(5): 329–332. , , .
- 2007. Diagnosis of dementia in primary care: a representative survey of family physicians and neuropsychiatrists in Germany. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 23(4): 207–214. , , , .
- 2004. The Rowland Universal Dementia Assessment Scale (RUDAS): a multicultural cognitive assessment scale. Int Psychogeriatr 16(1): 13–31. , , , , .
- 1999. Cognitive assessment in elderly patients admitted to hospital: the relationship between the Abbreviated Mental Test and the Mini-Mental State Examination. Clin Rehabil 13(6): 503–508. , , .
- 1987. The Modified Mini-Mental State (3MS) examination. J Clin Psychiatry 48(8): 314–318. , .
- 2004. Subjective memory deterioration and future dementia in people aged 65 and older. J Am Geriatr Soc 52(12): 2045–2051. , , , et al.