This manuscript is original unpublished work and has not been being submitted for publication elsewhere.
End of life care for community dwelling older people with dementia: an integrated review †
Version of Record online: 17 AUG 2009
Copyright © 2009 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry
Volume 25, Issue 4, pages 329–337, April 2010
How to Cite
Goodman, C., Evans, C., Wilcock, J., Froggatt, K., Drennan, V., Sampson, E., Blanchard, M., Bissett, M. and Iliffe, S. (2010), End of life care for community dwelling older people with dementia: an integrated review . Int. J. Geriat. Psychiatry, 25: 329–337. doi: 10.1002/gps.2343
- Issue online: 10 MAR 2010
- Version of Record online: 17 AUG 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 MAY 2009
- Manuscript Received: 23 FEB 2009
- 2004. The Abbey pain scale: a 1-minute numerical indicator for people with end-stage dementia. Int J Palliat Nurs 10(1): 6–13. , , , et al.
- 2006. Develop, Trial and Evaluate a Model of Multidisciplinary Palliative Care for Residents with End-Stage Dementia, Princes Charles Hospital Foundation: Brisbane, Queensland. , , , , , .
- 2004. Alzheimer's caregiver differences in experience of loss, grief reactions and depressive symptoms across stage of disease: a mixed-method analysis. Dementia 3(2): 195–210. , .
- 2003. Advance care planning in nursing homes: correlates of capacity and possession of advance directives. Gerontologist 43(3): 309–317. .
- 2003a. Existential concerns of families of late stage dementia patients: questions of freedom, choice, isolation, death and meaning. J Palliat Med 6(2): 225–234. , .
- 2003b. Differences in supporting families of dementia patients and cancer patients: a palliative perspective. Palliat Med 17(4): 359–367. , .
- 2000. Caregivers of relatives with dementia: experiences encompasing social support and bereavement. Aging Ment Health 4(1): 82–89. , , .
- Alzheimer Europe. 2006. The Use of Advance Directives by People with Dementia, Alzheimer Europe: Luxembourg.
- Alzheimer Europe. 2008. Position and Recommendations on End-of-Life Care, Alzheimer Europe: Luxembourg.
- Alzheimer's Society. 2007. Dementia UK: The Full Report. Alzheimer's Society: London.
- 2005. Hospice care in a cohort of elders with dementia and mild cognitive impairment. J Pain Symptom Manag 30(3): 208–214. , , , , .
- 2008. A critical literature review exploring the challenges of delivering effective palliative care to older people with dementia. J Clin Nurs 17(9): 1144–1163. , .
- 2002. End-of-life care in dementia: a review of problems, prospects and solutions in practice. J Am Med Dir Assoc 3: 57–65. , , .
- 1999. Survival in a population-based cohort of dementia patients: predictors and causes of mortality. Int J Geriat Psychiatry 14: 748–753. , , , , .
- 2001. Medical care for nursing home residents: differences by dementia status. JAGS 49: 142–147. , , , et al.
- 2003. The quality of life of spouse dementia caregivers: changes associated with yielding to formal care and widowhood. Soc Sci Med 57: 2385–2395. , , .
- 2003. We didn't know it would get that bad: South Asian experiences of dementia and the service response. Health Soc Care Community 11(5): 387–396. , .
- 2005. The last days of life of nursing home patients with and without dementia assessed with the Palliative Care Outcome Scale. Palliat Med 19: 334–342. , .
- 2005a. End-of-life decisions making in dementia. Dementia 4(1): 113–136. , , .
- 2005b. Decision making at the end of life in dementia: how family caregivers perceive their interactions with health care providers in LTC settings. J Appl Gerontol 24(3): 231–247. , , .
- 2002. How physicians approach advance care planning in patients with mild to moderate dementia. JAOA 102(10): 541–544. , , , .
- 2006. Occurrence and treatment of suspected pneumonia in long-term-care residents dying with advanced dementia. JAGS 54: 290–295. , , , et al.
- 1998. Weight loss, dysphagia and outcome in advanced dementia. Dysphagia 13: 151–155. , , .
- 2003. The attitudes of carers and old age psychiatrists towards the treatment of potentially fatal events in end-stage dementia. Int J Geriatr Psychiatr 18: 169–173. , , .
- 2005. Prediction of appropriate timing of palliative care for older adults with non-malignant life-threatening disease: a systematic review. Age Ageing 34: 218–227. , , , .
- Department of Health. 2007. Building on Firm Foundations, Improving Care at the End of Life in Care Homes. Department of Health: London.
- Department of Health. 2008. End of Life Care Strategy—Promoting High Quality Care for All Adults at the End of Life. Department of Health: London.
- Department of Health. 2009. Living Well with Dementia: A National Dementia Strategy. Department of Health: London.
- 2008. Dying with advanced dementia in long-term care geriatric institutions: a retrospective study. J Palliat Med 11(7): 1023–1028. , , , et al.
- 2004. Strain experienced by caregivers of dementia patients receiving palliative care: findings from the Palliative excellence in Alzheimer Care Efforts (PEACE) Program. J Palliat Med 7(6): 797–807. , , .
- 1996. The Clinical Dementia Rating scale: Community-based validation of 'profound' and 'terminal' stages. Neurology 46: 1746–1749. , , , .
- 2006. Explanatory models of dementia: links to end-of-life care. Int J Palliat Nurs 12(5): 209–213. , , .
- 2006. Satisfaction with end-of-life care for nursing home residents with advanced dementia. Am Geriatr Soc 54: 1567–1572. , , .
- EPOC: Cochrane Collaboration on Effective Professional Practice. 2005. The cochrane effective practice and organisation of care review group. Data collection checklist. In The Cochrane Library, Issue 2, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd: Chichester, UK.
- 1997. Developing an integrated care pathway for the dying patient. Eur J Palliat Care 4: 203–207. , , , , .
- 2000. End-of-life decision-making for nursing home residents with dementia. J Nurs Scholarsh 32(3): 251–258. , , .
- 2006. Effect of enhanced psychosocial care on antipsychotic use in nursing home residents with severe dementia: cluster randomised trial. Br Med J 332(7544): 756–761. , , , et al.
- 1999. Predictors of mortality in patients with Alzheimer's disease living in nursing homes. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatr 67: 59–65. , , , , .
- 2006. Rural-urban differences in Medicaid Care for Nursing Home residents with severe dementia at the end of life. JAGS 54: 1199–1205. , , , .
- 1999. Older person's opinions about life sustaining procedures in the face of dementia. Arch Fam Med 8: 421–425. , , , .
- 2003. District nurses' experiences of providing care in residential homes: issues of context and demand. J Clin Nurs 12(1): 67–76. , , .
- 2004. Diffusion of innovations in service organizations: systematic review and recommendations. The Milbank Quarterly 82(4): 581. , , , , .
- 2006. The needs of older people with dementia in residential care. Int J Geriatr Psychiatr 21: 143–149. , , , .
- 1999. Criteria for enrolling dementia patients in hospice: a replication. Am J Hospice Palliat Care January/February 16(1): 395–400. , , , .
- 2004. Differences in end-of-life preferences between congestive heart failure and dementia in a medical house calls programme. JAGS 52: 736–740. , , , , .
- 2006. A cross-cultural study of physician treatment decisions for demented nursing home patients who develop pneumonia. Ann Fam Med 4(3): 221–227. , , , .
- 2008. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 5.0.1 The Cochrane Collaboration. Available at: www.cochrane-handbook.org , (eds).
- 2002. Decision making in terminal care: a survey of Finnish doctors' treatment decisions in end-of-life scenarios involving a terminal cancer and a terminal de. , , , , , .
- 2006a. End-of-life experience of demented elderly patients at home: findings from DEATH project. Psychogeriatrics 6(2): 60–67. , , , et al.
- 2006. End of life care at group homes for patients with dementia in Japan. Findings from an analysis of policy related differences. Archives of Gerontol Geritatr 42: 233–245. , , , et al.
- 2005. (editorial) Specialist palliative care in dementia. Br Med J 330: 57–58. , , .
- 2007. Palliative care in dementia: issues and evidence. Adv Psychiatr Treat 13: 251–260. , , , .
- 2000. Long-term survival, place of death, and death certification in clinically diagnosed pre-senile dementia in northern England: Follow-up after 8–12 years. Br J Psychiatr 177: 156–162. , , .
- 2006a. Effects of the serial trial intervention on discomfort and behaviour of nursing home residents with dementia. Am J Alzheimer's Disease Other Dementia's 21(3): 147–155. , , , et al.
- 2006b. Deconstruction of a complex tailored intervention to assess and treat discomfort of people with advanced dementia. J Adv Nurs 55(6): 678–688. , , .
- 2001. Use of the assessment of discomfort in dementia protocol. Appl Nurs Res 14(4): 193–200. , , , , .
- 1999. Assessment and treatment of discomfort for people with late-stage dementia. J Pain Symptom Manage 18(6): 412–419. , , , , .
- 1996. The effects of hospice interventions on behaviours, discomforts, and physical complications of end stage dementia nursing home residents. Am J Alzheimer's Disease Other Dementias 11(7): 7–15. , , .
- 2005. Tube feeding, antibiotics, and hospitalization of nursing home residents with end-stage dementia: perceptions of key medical decision-makers. Am J Alzheimer's Disease(R) Other Dementias 20(4): 211–219. .
- 2005. Decisions to hospitalize nursing home residents dying with advanced dementia. JAGS 53: 1396–1401. , , , .
- 2001. Gender differences in predictors of mortality in nursing home residents with Alzheimer's Disease. Neurology 56: 650–654. , , , et al.
- 1997. Caregivers of persons with Alzheimer's disease: some neglected implications of the experience of personal loss and grief. Death Stud 21(5): 501–514. .
- 2008. Evidence for Improving Palliative Care at the End of Life: A Systematic Review. Ann Int Med 148(2): 147–159. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. What is appropriate health care for end-stage dementia? J Am Geriatr Soc 41(11): 25–30. , .
- 1997. The experience of dying with dementia: a retrospective study. Int J Geriatr Psychiatr 12(3): 404–409. , , .
- 2001. Healthcare utilization and costs in managed care patients with Alzheimer's disease during the last few years of life. JAGS 49: 1156–1160. , , , et al.
- 2006. Long-term care and dementia services: an impending crisis. Age and Ageing 36(1): 16–22. , .
- 2005. Mortality and adverse health events in newly admitted nursing home residents with and without dementia. JAGS 53: 1858–1866. , , , et al.
- 2003. Lower respiratory infections in nursing home residents with dementia: a tale of two countries. Gerontologist 43: Spec No 2, 85–93. , , , et al.
- 2004a. Estimating prognosis for nursing home residents with advanced dementia. J Am Med Assoc 291(22): 2734–2740. , , , et al.
- 2004b. Dying with advanced dementia in the nursing home. Arch Intern Med 164: 321–326. , , .
- 2005. A national study of the location of death for older persons with dementia. J Am Geriatr Soc 53(2): 299–305. , , , .
- 2002. Terminal care for nursing home residents with dementia. Alzheimer's Care Quarterly 3(3): 233–246. , , .
- National Council for Palliative Care. 2006. Exploring Palliative Care for People with Dementia NCPC London.
- 2001. Witholding or withdrawing artificial administration of foods and fluids in nursing-home patients. Age and Ageing 30: 459–465. , , , et al.
- 2004. Participants in the decision-making on artificial nutrition and hydration to demented nursing home patients: a qualitative study. J Aging Stud 18: 321–335. , , , , .
- 2005. Discomfort in nursing home patients with severe dementia in whom artificial nutrition and hydration is forgone. Arch Intern Med 165: 1729–1735. , , , , .
- 2005. End-of-life care and dementia. Rev Clin Gerontol 15: 135–148. , , , et al.
- 1999. Cognitive attributions, depressive symptoms and hopelessness as predictors of perceived desirability of physician-assisted suicide in Alzheimer's caregivers. Am J Alzheimer's Disease 14(3): 165–171. , .
- 2006. Attitudes of physicians, nurses and relatives towards end-of-life decisions concerning nursing home patients with dementia. Patient Educ Counsel 61(3): 372. , , , , .
- 2005. A systematic review of the scientific evidence for the efficacy of a palliative care approach in advanced dementia. Int Psychogeriatr 17(1): 31–340. , et al.
- 2003. Predictors of six-month survival among patients with dementia: an evaluation of hospice Medicare guidelines. Am J Hospice Palliat Care 20(2): 105–113. , , , et al.
- 2003. for the Resources for Enhancing Alzheimer's care giver health (REACH) investigators (2003). End-of-life care and the effectos of bereavement on family care givers of persons with dementia. New Engl J Med 349(20): 1936–1942. , , , et al.
- 2004. Pain in community-dwelling persons with dementia: frequency, intensity and congruence between patient and caregiver report. J Pain Symptom Manag 28(6): 58559. , , , , .
- 2008. Improving generalist end-of-life care: national consultation with practitioners, commissioners, academics, and service user groups. Br Med J 337: 2290. , , , et al.
- 2004. Treatment of nursing home residents with dementia and lower respiratory tract infection in the United States and the Netherlands: an ocean apart. J Am Geriatr Soc 52: 691–699. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Mortality in Alzheimer's disease: a comparative prospective Korean study in the community and nursing homes. Int J Geriatr Psychiatr 20: 26–34. , , .
- 2002. Withholding the artificial administration of fluids and food from elderly patients with dementia: ethnographic study. Br Med J 325(7376): 1326. , , , , .
- 2006. Opening doors to independence: a longitudinal study exploring the contribution of extra care housing to the care and support of older people with dementia Housing 21 London. , , , .
- 1996. Comorbidity and its effects on mortality in nursing home patients with dementia. J Nerv Ment Dis 184: 180–187. , , , .
- 2006. Introduction of a pain scale for palliative care patients with cognitive impairment. Int J Palliat Nurs 12(2): 54–59. , , .
- 2005. End-of-life decision-making in nursing home residents with dementia and pneumonia: Dutch physicians' intentions regarding hastening death. Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord 19(3): 148–155. , , , , .
- 2005. Survival of a cohort of elderly patients with advanced dementia: Nasogastric tube feeding as a risk factor for mortality. Int J Geriatr 20(4): 363–370. , , , .,
- 2002. Advance care planning by proxy for residents of long-term care facilities who lack decision-making capacity. JAGS 50: 761–767. , , , et al.
- World Health Organisation. 2003. Global burden of dementia in the year 2000 summary of methods and data sources. Colin Mathers, Matilde Leonardi www.who.int/entity/healthinfo/statistics/bod_dementia.pdf Accessed 01/05/09.
- World Health Organisation. 2004. Palliative Care for Older People, DaviesE, HigginsonIJ (eds). WHO Regional Office for Europe: Denmark.
- 2008. Survival times in people with dementia: analysis from population based cohort study with 14 year follow-up. Br Med J 336(7638): 258–262. , , , the Medical Research Council Cognitive Function and Ageing Study collaborators.
- 2006. The psychometric quality and clinical usefulness of three pain assessment tools for elderly people with dementia. Pain 126(1–3): 210–220. , , , .