Effectiveness of group music intervention against agitated behavior in elderly persons with dementia
Article first published online: 29 JUL 2010
Copyright © 2010 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry
Volume 26, Issue 7, pages 670–678, July 2011
How to Cite
Lin, Y., Chu, H., Yang, C.-Y., Chen, C.-H., Chen, S.-G., Chang, H.-J., Hsieh, C.-J. and Chou, K.-R. (2011), Effectiveness of group music intervention against agitated behavior in elderly persons with dementia. Int. J. Geriat. Psychiatry, 26: 670–678. doi: 10.1002/gps.2580
- Issue published online: 13 APR 2011
- Article first published online: 29 JUL 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 JUN 2010
- Manuscript Received: 3 MAR 2010
- Alzheimer's Disease International. 2009. Statistics, available at: http://www.alz.co.uk/research/statistics.html
- 1995. Reducing the use of physical restraints in long-term care facilities. J Gerontol Nurs 21: 21–34. , , .
- 2003. Music therapy with Alzheimer's patients and their family caregivers: a pilot project. J Music Ther 40: 138–150. , .
- 1996. Therapeutic uses of music with older adults. Health Professions Press: Baltimore, MD. .
- 1990. Preliminary study of music therapy programming for severely regressed persons with Alzheimer's-type dementia. J Appl Gerontol 9: 299–311. , .
- 1998. Use of music to decrease aggressive behaviors in people with dementia. J Gerontol Nurs 24: 10–17. , , .
- 1989. A description of agitation in a nursing home. J Gerontol 44: M77–M84. , , .
- Department of Health, Executive Yuan, Taiwan. 2008. Prescreen early stage dementia, available at http://www.doh.gov.tw/CHT2006/DM/SEARCH_RESULT.asp
- 1978. Psychiatric disturbances in neurological patients: detection, recognition, and hospital course. Ann Neurol 4: 225–228. , .
- 1975. “Mini-mental state”. A practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician. J Psychiatr Res 12: 189–198. , , .
- 2007. A comparison of two treatments of agitated behavior in nursing home residents with dementia: simulated family presence and preferred music. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 15: 514–521. , , , .
- 2000. Effects of individualized versus classical “relaxation” music on the frequency of agitation in elderly persons with Alzheimer's disease and related disorders. Int Psychogeriatr 12: 49–65. .
- 1999. Nursing interventions: effective nursing treatments. In Music Therapy, 3rd edn, BulechekGM, DochtermanJM (eds). Saunders: Philadelphia, PA; 451–468. , .
- 1993. Effects of individualized music on confused and agitated elderly patients. Arch Psychiatr Nurs 7: 284–291. , .
- 2005. The therapeutic use of music on agitated behavior in those with dementia. Holist Nurs Pract 19: 258–262. , .
- 1988. Chinese version and norms of the Mini-Mental State Examination. J Rehabil Med Assoc 16: 52–59. , , , et al.
- 1989. Introduction of the Chinese version of the Mini-Mental State Examination. Clin Med Res 23: 39–42. , , , et al.
- 2007. Difficult behavior in long-term care patients with dementia. J Am Med Dir Assoc 8: 101–113. , .
- 2005. Relaxing music at mealtime in nursing homes: effects on agitated patients with dementia. J Gerontol Nurs 31: 26–32. .
- 2007. An investigation of long-term effects of group music therapy on agitation levels of people with Alzheimer's Disease. Aging Ment Health 11: 330–338. , .
- 2007. Equivalence of Chinese version of the Cohen-Mansfield Agitation Inventory. J Adv Nurs 59: 178–185. , , , .
- 2006. The epidemiology of dementia in Taiwan. Acta Neurol Taiwan 15: 51–52. .
- 2001. Individualized music played for agitated patients with dementia: analysis of video-recorded sessions. Int J Nurs Pract 7: 146–155. , , , .
- 2002. Calming music and hand massage with agitated elderly. Nurs Res 51: 317–323. .
- 2004. Behavioral problems in dementia. Strategies for pharmacologic and nonpharmacologic management. Postgrad Med 115: 47–56. .
- 2006. The effects of group music with movement intervention on agitated behaviours of institutionalized elders with dementia in Taiwan. Complement Ther Med 14: 113–119. , , , .
- 2004. Behavioral and endocrinological evaluation of music therapy for elderly patients with dementia. Nurs Health Sci 6: 11–18. , , , et al.
- 2003. Finding a way to avoid restraints. Nursing (Lond) 33: 32HN31–32HN34. , , .
- 2000. The decline in synapses and cholinergic activity is asynchronous in Alzheimer's disease. Neurology 55: 1278–1283. , , , et al.
- 2007. The effect of background stimulative music on behavior in Alzheimer's patients. J Music Ther 44: 329–343. , , , .