A systematic review of the effects of physical activity on physical functioning, quality of life and depression in older people with dementia
Version of Record online: 6 JAN 2011
Copyright © 2011 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry
Volume 26, Issue 10, pages 1000–1011, October 2011
How to Cite
Potter, R., Ellard, D., Rees, K. and Thorogood, M. (2011), A systematic review of the effects of physical activity on physical functioning, quality of life and depression in older people with dementia. Int. J. Geriat. Psychiatry, 26: 1000–1011. doi: 10.1002/gps.2641
- Issue online: 8 SEP 2011
- Version of Record online: 6 JAN 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 SEP 2010
- Manuscript Received: 1 JUN 2010
- 2003. Effectiveness of a group exercise program in a long-term care facility: a randomized pilot trial. J Am Med Dir Assoc 4: 74–80. , , , , .
- 2008. The effects of a multimodal intervention on outcomes of persons with early-stage dementia. Am J Alzheimer's Dis Other Dementias 23: 382–394. , , , .
- 2002. The effects of a walking/talking program on communication, ambulation, and functional status in residents with Alzheimer disease. Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord 16: 81–87. , , , .
- 1992. Variance imputation for overviews of clinical trials with continuous response. J Clin Epidemiol 45: 769–773. , , , .
- 2008. Physical activity programs for persons with dementia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev (3): CD006489.DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD006489.pub2 , , , et al.
- Higgins J, Green S (eds). 2009. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions, Version 5.0.2. [updated September 2009]. The Cochrane Collaboration, www.cochrane-handbook.org
- 2006. Quality of life of people with dementia in residential care homes. Br J Psychiatr 188: 460–464. , , , .
- 2008. Effect of regular exercise on senile dementia patients. Int J Sport Med 29: 471–474. , , , .
- 2006. A high-intensity functional weight-bearing exercise program for older people dependent in activities of daily living and living in residential care facilities: evaluation of the applicability with focus on cognitive function. Phys Ther 86: 489–498. , , , et al.
- Marshall M, Allen K (eds). 2006. Dementia: Walking not Wandering. Hawker Publications: London.
- 2007. Group physical activity for demented older adults -feasibility and effectiveness. Clin Rehabil 21: 977–986. , , .
- NIHR HTA. 2009. Older People's Exercise intervention in Residential and nursing Accommodation (OPERA). Southampton: NIHR Coordinating Centre for Health Technology Assessment (NCCHTA).
- Review Manager (RevMan). 2008. Computer Programme (Edn 5.0). The Nordic Cochrane Centre, The Cochrane Collaboration: Copenhagen; p. 3.
- 2007. Exercise program for nursing home residents with Alzheimer's disease: a 1-year randomized, controlled trial. J Am Geriatr Soc 55: 158–165. , , , et al.
- 2006. High-intensity functional exercise program and protein-enriched energy supplement for older persons dependent in activities of daily living: a randomised controlled trial. Aus J Physiother 52: 105–113. , , , et al.
- 2008. Exercise training is beneficial for Alzheimer's patients. Int J Sport Med 29: 845–850. , , , , .
- 2000. Effect of a combined walking and conversation intervention on functional mobility of nursing home residents with Alzheimer disease. Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord 14: 196–201. , , , .
- 2003. Exercise plus behavioral management in patients with Alzheimer disease: a randomized controlled trial. J Am Med Assoc 290: 2015–2022. , , , et al.
- 2003. Effects of physical training on the physical capacity of frail, demented patients with a history of falling: a randomised controlled trial. Age Ageing 32: 67–73. , , , , .
- 2004. Cognitive and behavioural effects of music-based exercises in patients with dementia. Clin Rehabil 18: 253–260. , , , .
- 2007. Effect of exercise on mood in nursing home residents with Alzheimer's disease. Am J Alzheimer Dis Other Dementias 22: 389–397. , .
- 2008. Exercise training for depressed older adults with Alzheimer's disease. Aging Mental Health 12: 72–80. , .