Strain and its correlates among carers of people with dementia in low-income and middle-income countries. A 10/66 Dementia Research Group population-based survey
Article first published online: 29 MAR 2012
Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry
Volume 27, Issue 7, pages 670–682, July 2012
How to Cite
Prince, M., Brodaty, H., Uwakwe, R., Acosta, D., Ferri, C. P., Guerra, M., Huang, Y., Jacob, K., Llibre Rodriguez, J. J., Salas, A., Sosa, A. L., Williams, J. D., Jotheeswaran, A. and Liu, Z. (2012), Strain and its correlates among carers of people with dementia in low-income and middle-income countries. A 10/66 Dementia Research Group population-based survey. Int. J. Geriat. Psychiatry, 27: 670–682. doi: 10.1002/gps.2727
- Issue published online: 11 JUN 2012
- Article first published online: 29 MAR 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 MAR 2011
- Manuscript Received: 15 NOV 2010
- Wellcome Trust Health Consequences of Population Change Programme. Grant Numbers: GR066133, GR08002
- World Health Organisation
- US Alzheimer's Association. Grant Number: IIRG-04-1286
- 10/66 Dementia Research Group. 2004. Care arrangements for people with dementia in developing countries. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 19(2): 170–177.
- ADI. 2009. World Alzheimer Report 2009. Prince M.J., Jackson J (eds). Alzheimer's Disease International: London.
- 2007. Relationships between income, subjective health and caregiver burden in caregivers of people with dementia in group living care: a cross-sectional community-based study. Int J Nurs Stud 44(3): 435–446. , .
- 1997. Reliability and validity of the Japanese version of the Zarit Caregiver Burden interview. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 51(5): 281–287. , , , et al.
- 2009. The effect of dementia patient's physical, cognitive, and emotional/behavioral problems on caregiver well-being: findings from a Spanish-speaking sample from Colombia, South America. Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen 24(5): 384–395. , , , .
- 1990. Psychosocial effects on carers of living with persons with dementia. Aust N Z J Psychiatry 24(3): 351–361. , .
- 2001. Predictors of social support and caregiver outcomes. Women Health 33(1–2): 39–61. , , .
- 2000. Client Socio-Demographic and Service Receipt Inventory-European version: development of an instrument for international research. EPSILON study 5. Br J Psychiatry 117(suppl.39): s28–s33. , , , et al.
- 1999. Burden experienced by caregivers of relatives with dementia in Taiwan. Nurs Res 48(4): 206–214. , , .
- 2002. Positive aspects of caregiving: rounding out the caregiver experience. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 17(2): 184–188. , , .
- 2008. Coping strategies, anxiety and depression in caregivers of people with Alzheimer's disease. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 23(9): 929–936. , , , .
- 1986. A computerised psychiatric diagnostic system and case nomenclature for elderly subjects: GMS and AGECAT. Psychol Med 16: 89–99. , , .
- 2003. Patient and caregiver characteristics associated with depression in caregivers of patients with dementia. J Gen Intern Med 18(12): 1006–1014. , , , et al.
- 1997. The Caregiver Activity Survey (CAS): development and validation of a new measure for caregivers of persons with Alzheimer's disease. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 12(10): 978–988. , , , et al.
- 2008. The effectiveness of a home care program for supporting caregivers of persons with dementia in developing countries: a randomised controlled trial from Goa, India. PLoS ONE 3(6): e2333. , , , et al.
- 2002. Employed family caregivers of cognitively impaired elderly: an examination of role strain and depressive symptoms. Aging Ment Health 6(1): 55–61. , , , .
- 2004. Behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia in developing countries. Int Psychogeriatr 16(4): 441–459. , , .
- 2002. Gender differences in burden and depression among informal caregivers of demented elders in the community. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 17(2): 154–163. , , , .
- 2003. The onset of dementia caregiving and its longitudinal implications. Psychol Aging 18(2): 171–180. , , .
- 2009. Helping carers to care—the 10/66 dementia research group's randomized control trial of a caregiver intervention in Russia. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 24(4): 347–354. , , , et al.
- 2011. Helping carers to care: the 10/66 dementia research group's randomized control trial of a caregiver intervention in Peru. Rev Bras Psiquiatr 33(1): 47–54. , , , , .
- 1993. The development of a dementia screening interview in two distinct languages. Int J Meth Psychiatr Res 3: 1–28. , , , et al.
- 2002. Quantifying heterogeneity in a meta-analysis. Stat Med 21(11): 1539–1558. , .
- 2008. Family caregiver burden by relationship to care recipient with dementia in Korea. Geriatr Nurs 29(4): 267–274. , .
- 2000. Validation of the NPI-Q, a brief clinical form of the Neuropsychiatric Inventory. J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 12(2): 233–239. , , , et al.
- 2006. Correlates of caregiver burden for Korean elders according to cognitive and functional status. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 21(9): 853–861. , , , et al.
- 2008. Chinese version of the Zarit Caregiver Burden Interview: a validation study. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 16(6): 513–518. , , , .
- 2006. Use of home care services effectively reduces feelings of burden among family caregivers of disabled elderly in Japan: preliminary results. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 21(2): 163–170. , , .
- 1997. Cultural differences in caregiving motivations for demented parents: Korean caregivers versus American caregivers. Int J Aging Hum Dev 44(2): 115–127. , .
- 2009. Cognitive, functional and behavioral factors associated with the burden of caring for geriatric patients with cognitive impairment or depression: evidence from a South American sample. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 24(4): 382–389. , , , , .
- 1985. A comparison of the validity of two psychiatric screening questionnaires (GHQ-12 and SRQ-20) in Brazil, using Relative Operating Characteristic (ROC) analysis. Psychol Med 15(3): 651–659. , .
- 1993. The Clinical Dementia Rating (CDR): current version and scoring rules [see comments]. Neurology 43(11): 2412–2414. .
- 2003. Associations of stressors and uplifts of caregiving with caregiver burden and depressive mood: a meta-analysis. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 58(2): 112–128. , .
- 2003. Dementia diagnosis in developing countries: a cross-cultural validation study. Lancet 361: 909–917. , , , , .
- 2007. The protocols for the 10/66 Dementia Research Group population-based research programme. BMC Public Health 7(1): 165. , , , et al.
- 2008. Ageing and dementia in low and middle income countries—using research to engage with public and policy makers. Int Rev Psychiatry 20(4): 332–343. , , , et al.
- 2009. Packages of care for dementia in low- and middle-income countries. PLoS Med 6(11): e1000176. , , , , .
- 2011. The association between common physical impairments and dementia in low and middle income countries, and, among people with dementia, their association with cognitive function and disability. A 10/66 Dementia Research Group population-based study. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 26(5): 511–519. , , , et al.
- 1989. Mental health of caregiving spouses: coping as mediator, moderator, or main effect? Psychol Aging 4(4): 454–463. , .
- 1999. EUROCARE: a cross-national study of co-resident spouse carers for people with Alzheimer's disease: I—Factors associated with carer burden. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 14(8): 651–661. , , , .
- 2004a. Family caregiving of persons with dementia: prevalence, health effects, and support strategies. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 12(3): 240–249. , .
- 2004b. Family caregiving of persons with dementia: prevalence, health effects, and support strategies. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 12(3): 240–249. , .
- 2002. Caregivers of patients with Alzheimer's disease: a qualitative study from the Indian 10/66 Dementia Research Network. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 18: 1–6. , , , .
- 2006. Dementia care: mental health effects, intervention strategies, and clinical implications. Lancet Neurol 5(11): 961–973. , , , .
- 1989. Ageing in Developing Countries. Oxford University Press: Oxford. .
- 2007. Disability and care-giving in old age in a Nigerian community. Niger J Clin Pract 10(1): 58–65. , .
- 2008. The metric properties of Zarit caregiver burden scale: validation study of a Chinese version. Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord 22(4): 321–326. , , , et al.
- 1991. Efficacy of interventions with caregivers: a reanalysis. Gerontologist 31(1): 9–14. , , .
- 2007. An estimate of the total worldwide societal costs of dementia in 2005. Alzheimers Dement (3): 81–91. , , .
- 2000. Gender differences in psychiatric morbidity among family caregivers: a review and analysis. Gerontologist 40(2): 147–164. , .
- 1980. Relatives of the impaired elderly: correlates of feelings of burden. Gerontologist 20: 649–655. , , .
- 1986. Subjective burden of husbands and wives as caregivers: a longitudinal study. Gerontologist 26(3): 260–266. , , .