Music therapy in dementia: a narrative synthesis systematic review
Article first published online: 18 OCT 2012
Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry
Volume 28, Issue 8, pages 781–794, August 2013
How to Cite
McDermott, O., Crellin, N., Ridder, H. M. and Orrell, M. (2013), Music therapy in dementia: a narrative synthesis systematic review. Int. J. Geriat. Psychiatry, 28: 781–794. doi: 10.1002/gps.3895
- Issue published online: 7 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 18 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 29 MAY 2012
- 2007. “Not bad for an 85-year-old!”—the qualitative analysis of the role of music, therapeutic benefits and group therapeutic factors of the St. Joseph's Alzheimer's Adult Day Program Music Therapy Group. Canadian Journal of Music Therapy 13(2): 37–62. , , , , .
- 1996. Music therapy with the elderly. In Music Therapy Research and Practice in Medicine. From Out of the Silence. Jessica Kingsley Publishers: London; 186–209. .
- 1992. Two epistemologies: music therapy and medicine in the treatment of dementia. The Arts in Psychotherapy 19: 243–255. , .
- 1995. Improvising. In Music for Life. Jessica Kingsley Publishers: London; 21–27. .
- 2000. The effect of reminiscence music therapy sessions on changes in depressive symptoms in elderly persons with dementia. J Music Ther 37: 170–182. .
- 2010. Receptive music therapy for treatment of depression: a proof-of-concept study and prospective controlled clinical trial of efficacy. Psychother Psychosom 79: 321–322. , , , et al.
- 2000. An overview of the music therapy literature relating to elderly people. In Music Therapy in Dementia Care, Aldridge A (ed.). Jessica Kingsley Publishers: London; 33–62. .
- 2000. The impact of music therapy on language functioning in dementia. J Music Ther 37: 183–195. , .
- 2003. Music therapy with Alzheimer's patients and their family caregivers: a pilot project. J Music Ther 40: 138–150. , .
- 1996. The effects of music therapy intervention on agitation behaviors of Alzheimer's disease patients. J Music Ther 33: 2–18. , .
- 1997. Music and dementias: a review of literature. J Music Ther 34: 204–245. , , .
- Centre for Reviews and Dissemination. 2009. Systematic reviews: CRD's guidance for undertaking reviews in health care. Research Report, CRD, York.
- 1990. A preliminary study of music therapy programming for severely regressed persons with Alzheimer's-type dementia. J Appl Gerontol 9(3): 299–311. , .
- 1997. The effects of music therapy on interactions between family caregivers and their care receivers with late stage dementia. J Music Ther 34: 148–164. , .
- 2003. Evaluating non-randomised intervention studies. Health Technol Assess 7(27): 1–179. , , , et al.
- 1998. The feasibility of creating a checklist for the assessment of the methodological quality both of randomised and non-randomised studies of health care interventions. J Epidemiol Community Health 52(6): 377–384. , .
- 2003. Hierarchy of evidence: a framework for ranking evidence evaluating healthcare interventions. J Clin Nurs 12(1): 77–84. .
- 2009. All those things with music. Nordic Journal of Music Therapy 18(1): 1–2. .
- 2011. Music therapy or music medicine? Psychother Psychosom 80: 304. , , , et al.
- 1993. Effectiveness of music therapy 1: 1 intervention with individuals having senile dementia of the Alzheimer's type. J Music Ther 30: 138–157. .
- 2009. Effect of music therapy on anxiety and depression in patients with Alzheimer's type dementia: randomised, controlled study. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 28(1): 36–46. , , , et al.
- 1999. Is music therapy an effective intervention for dementia? A meta-analytic review of literature. J Music Ther 36: 2–15. , , .
- 1999. Music therapy increases serum melatonin levels in patients with Alzheimer's disease. Altern Ther Health Med 5(6): 49–57. , , , et al.
- 2007. An investigation of long-term effects of group music therapy on agitation levels of people with Alzheimer's disease. Aging Ment Health 11(3): 330–338. , .
- 2005. Systematic review of psychological approaches to the management of neuropsychiatric symptoms of dementia. Am J Psychiat 162(11): 1996–2021. , , , , .
- 2008. Psychosocial intervention research: challenges, strategies and measurement issues. Aging Ment Health 12(1): 1–4. .
- 1999. ‘Not knowing where I am doesn't mean I don't know what I like’: cognitive impairment and quality of life responses in elderly people. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 14: 776–783. , , , et al.
- 2009. Effects of music therapy on autonomic nervous system activity, incidence of heart failure events, and plasma cytokine and catecholamine levels in elderly patients with cerebrovascular disease and dementia. Int Heart J 50(1): 95–110. , , , et al.
- 2006. Guidance on the conduct of narrative synthesis in systematic reviews. A product from the ESRC Methods Programme. Final Report, Lancaster University. , , , et al.
- 2007. Synthesizing Qualitative and Quantitative Health Evidence: A Guide to Methods. Open University Press: Maidenhead. , , .
- 1991. The use of music to aid memory of Alzheimer's patients. J Music Ther 28: 101–110. , .
- Public Health Resource Unit. 2006. Critical Appraisal Skills Programme (CASP) 10 Questions to Help You Make Sense of Qualitative Research. Public Health Resource Unit: England.
- 2009. Music therapy for individuals with dementia: areas of interventions and research perspectives. Curr Alzheimer Res 6: 293–301. , .
- 2006. A coding scheme for the evaluation of the relationship in music therapy sessions. Psychol Rep (99): 85–90. , , .
- 2008. Efficacy of music therapy in the treatment of behavioral and psychiatric symptoms of dementia. Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord 22(2): 158–162. , , , et al.
- 2010a. Efficacy of music therapy treatment based on cycles of sessions: a randomised controlled trial. Aging Ment Health 14(8): 900–904. , , , et al.
- 2010b. Effects of music therapy on psychological symptoms and heart rate variability in patients with dementia. A pilot study. Curr Aging Sci 3: 242–246. , , , et al.
- 2012. Addendum to ‘Efficacy of music therapy treatment based on cycles of sessions: a randomised controlled trial’ (Raglio et al., 2010). Aging Ment Health 16(2): 265–267. , , , et al.
- 2003. Singing dialogue. Music therapy with persons in advanced stages of dementia. A case study research design. Doctorate thesis, Aalborg University, Denmark. .
- 2004. When dialogue fails. Music therapy with elderly with neurological degenerative diseases. Music Therapy Today (online) 5(4). available at http://www.wfmt.info/Musictherapyworld/modules/mmmagazine/issues/20040727092613/20040727093215/MTT5_4_Ridder.pdf .
- 2005. An overview of therapeutic initiatives when working with persons suffering from dementia. In Music Therapy and Neurological Rehabilitation. Performing Health, Aldridge D (ed.). Jessica Kingsley Publishers: London; 61–82. .
- 2011. How can singing in music therapy influence social engagement for people with dementia? Insights from the polyvagal theory. In Voicework in Music Therapy.: Research and Practice, Baker F, Uhlig S (eds). Jessica Kingsley Publishers: London; 130–146. .
- 2005. Individual music therapy with persons with frontotemporal dementia: singing dialogue. Nordic Journal of Music Therapy 14(2): 91–106. , .
- 2009. A pilot study on the effects of music therapy on frontotemporal dementia—developing a research protocol. Nordic Journal of Music Therapy 18(2): 103–132. , , .
- 2004. Behavioral and endocrinological evaluation of music therapy for elderly patients with dementia. Nurs Health Sci 6: 11–18. , , , et al.
- 2006. Music therapy in moderate and severe dementia of Alzheimer's type: a case–control study. Int Psychogeriatr 18(4): 613–621. , .
- 2006. Long-term effects of music therapy on elderly with moderate/severe dementia. J Music Ther 43: 317–333. , .
- 1999. Musicality and the intrinsic motive pulse: evidence from human psychobiology and infant communication. Musicae Scientiae, special issues 1999–2000: 155–199. .
- 2008. Communicative Musicality. Exploring the Bases of Human Companionship. Oxford University Press: Oxford. , .
- 2003, 2011. Music therapy for people with dementia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2003(4). Art. No.: CD003477. DOI:10.1002/14651858.CD003477.pub2. , , .
- 2001. Discovering the person with Alzheimer's disease: cognitive, emotional and behavioural aspects. Aging Ment Health 5(S1): 7–16. .