ELS obtained funding devised the project, collected and analysed data and drafted the final paper. MB, MK and LJ supervised the project, data analysis and contributed to the interpretation of results and writing of the paper. BL led data analysis and wrote the paper.
Survival of people with dementia after unplanned acute hospital admission: a prospective cohort study
Article first published online: 21 DEC 2012
Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry
Volume 28, Issue 10, pages 1015–1022, October 2013
How to Cite
Sampson, E. L., Leurent, B., Blanchard, M. R., Jones, L. and King, M. (2013), Survival of people with dementia after unplanned acute hospital admission: a prospective cohort study. Int. J. Geriat. Psychiatry, 28: 1015–1022. doi: 10.1002/gps.3919
- Issue published online: 4 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 21 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 13 AUG 2012
- 2006. Recovery and outcome of delirium in elderly medical inpatients. Arch Gerontol Geriatr 43(2): 289–298. , , , .
- American Psychiatric Association. 1994. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th edn, American Psychiatric Association: Washington DC.
- 2009. Cognitive impairment improves the predictive validity of the phenotype of frailty for adverse health outcomes: the three-city study. J Am Geriatr Soc 57(3): 453–461. , , , et al.
- 2012. Frailty syndrome diagnosed according to the Study of Osteoporotic Fractures criteria and mortality in older outpatients suffering from Alzheimer's disease: a one-year prospective cohort study. Aging Ment Health 16(3): 273–280. , , , et al.
- 2006. Dementia before death in ageing societies--the promise of prevention and the reality. PLoS Med 3(10): e397. , , , .
- 1987. Studies of prognosis: progress and pitfalls. J Gen Intern Med 2(5): 359–361. .
- 2000. Clinical criteria for the diagnosis of vascular dementia: a multicenter study of comparability and interrater reliability. Arch Neurol 57(2): 191–196. , , , et al.
- 2003. How to measure comorbidity: a critical review of available methods. J Clin Epidemiol 56: (3): 221–229. , , , .
- How healthy is your hospital? Dr Foster Intelligence. 21–7–2010. http://www.drfosterintelligence.co.uk/hospitalguide/index.asp. 21-7-2010. .
- 1975. “Mini-mental state”. A practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician. J Psychiatr Res 12(3): 189–198. , , .
- 1999. Predictors of mortality in patients with Alzheimer's disease living in nursing homes. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 67(1): 59–65. , , , et al.
- 1990. Clarifying confusion: the confusion assessment method. A new method for detection of delirium. Ann Intern Med 113(12): 941–948. , , , et al.
- 2011. How long have I got? Estimating typical, best-case, and worst-case scenarios for patients starting first-line chemotherapy for metastatic breast cancer: a systematic review of recent randomized trials. J Clin Oncol 29(4): 456–463. , , , .
- 2007. Dementia UK Alzheimer's Society, Alzheimer's Society: London. , .
- 1985. APACHE II: a severity of disease classification system. Crit Care Med 13(10): 818–829. , , , .
- 2004. Detection and documentation of dementia and delirium in acute geriatric wards. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 26(1): 31–35. , , , .
- 2004. Estimating prognosis for nursing home residents with advanced dementia. JAMA 291(22): 2734–2740. , , , et al.
- 2009. The clinical course of advanced dementia. N Engl J Med 361(16): 1529–1538. , , , et al.
- 2009. Prognosis and prognostic research: what, why, and how? BMJ 338: b375. , , , , .
- 2000. Survival in end-stage dementia following acute illness. J Am Med Assoc 284(1): 47–52. , .
- 2002. Medical management of advanced heart failure. JAMA 287(5): 628–640. , , .
- 1982. The Global Deterioration Scale for assessment of primary degenerative dementia. Am J Psychiatry 139(9): 1136–1139. , , , .
- 1996. Mortality and temporal course of probable Alzheimer's disease: a 5-year prospective study. Int Psychogeriatr 8(2): 291–311. , , , et al.
- 1999. The risk of dementia and death after delirium. Age Ageing 28(6): 551–6, 1999 Oct.(40 ref) no. 6, pp. 551–556. , , , , .
- 2009. Dementia in the acute hospital: prospective cohort study of prevalence and mortality. Br J Psychiatry 195: (1): 61–66. , , , , .
- 2006. Differences in care received by patients with and without dementia who died during acute hospital admission: a retrospective case note study. Age Ageing 35 2: 187–189. , , , .
- 2011. Validation of a Modified-Multidimensional Prognostic Index (m-MPI) including the Mini Nutritional Assessment Short-Form (MNA-SF) for the prediction of one-year mortality in hospitalized elderly patients. J Nutr Health Aging 15(3): 169–173. , , , et al.
- 2000. Conditions for which onset or hospital admission is potentially preventable by timely and effective ambulatory care. J Health Serv Res Policy 5(4): 222–230. , .
- 2004. New ICD-10 version of the Charlson comorbidity index predicted in-hospital mortality. J Clin Epidemiol 57(12): 1288–1294. , , , et al.
- 2010. Challenges to improving end of life care of people with advanced dementia in the UK. Dementia 9: 285–298. , , , et al.
- 1997. Hospice care for dementia patients. J Am Geriatr Soc 45(9): 1147–1149. .
- 1985. Pressure sores: a risk assessment card. Nurs Times 81(48): 49–55. .
- 2008. Survival times in people with dementia: analysis from population based cohort study with 14 year follow-up. BMJ 336(7638): 258–262. , , .
- 2008. Demented versus non-demented very old inpatients: the same comorbidities but poorer functional and nutritional status. Age Ageing 37(1): 83–89. , , , et al.
- 2009. Does dementia predict adverse hospitalization outcomes? A prospective study in aged inpatients. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 24(3): 283–291. , , , et al.
- 2011. Prospective comparison of 6 comorbidity indices as predictors of 1-year post-hospital discharge institutionalization, readmission, and mortality in elderly individuals. J Am Med Dir Assoc 13(3): 272–278. , , , et al.