The effect of music therapy compared with general recreational activities in reducing agitation in people with dementia: a randomised controlled trial
Article first published online: 26 DEC 2012
Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry
Volume 28, Issue 10, pages 1031–1038, October 2013
How to Cite
Vink, A. C., Zuidersma, M., Boersma, F., de Jonge, P., Zuidema, S. U. and Slaets, J. P. J. (2013), The effect of music therapy compared with general recreational activities in reducing agitation in people with dementia: a randomised controlled trial. Int. J. Geriat. Psychiatry, 28: 1031–1038. doi: 10.1002/gps.3924
- Issue published online: 4 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 26 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 25 JUN 2012
- American Psychiatric Association. 2000. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders 4th ed., text rev. American Psychiatric Association: Washington, DC.
- 2009. Management of agitation and aggression associated with Alzheimer disease. Nat Rev Neurol 5: 245–255. , , , et al.
- 1987. Application of hierarchical linear models to assessing change. Psychol Bull 101: 147–158. , .
- 1997. Music and dementias: a review of literature. J Music Ther 34: 204–245. , , .
- 1996. The effects of music therapy intervention on agitation behaviours of Alzheimer's disease patients. J Music Ther 33: 2–18. , .
- 1994. The effect of music on repetitive disruptive vocalizations of persons with dementia. Am J Occup Ther 48: 883–889. , .
- 2009. Caring for Aged Dementia Care Resident Study (CADRES) of person-centred care, dementia-care mapping, and usual care in dementia: a cluster-randomised trial. Lancet Neurol 8: 317–325. , , , et al.
- 1994. The effect of no music, stimulative background music and sedative background music on agitated behaviour in persons with severe dementia. Act Adapt Aging 19: 61–70. .
- 1998. Use of music to decrease aggressive behaviors in people with dementia. J Gerontol Nurs 24: 10–17. , , .
- 1986. Agitated behaviors in the elderly. I. A conceptual review. J Am Geriatr Soc 34: 711–721. , .
- 2010. A randomized controlled trial exploring the effect of music on agitated behaviours and anxiety in older people with dementia. Aging Ment Health 14: 905–916. , , , , .
- 1997. Quiet music: an intervention for mealtime agitation. J Gerontol Nurs 23: 16–23. .
- 2000. Effects of individualized versus classical “relaxation” music on the frequency of agitation in elderly persons with Alzheimer's disease and related disorders. Int Psychogeriatr 12: 49–65. .
- 1994. Effects of relaxing music on agitation during meals among nursing home residents with severe cognitive impairment. Arch Psychiatr Nurs 8: 150–158. , .
- 1993. Effectiveness of music therapy 1:1 intervention with individuals having senile dementia of the Alzheimer's type. J Music Ther 30: 138–157. .
- 1996. Factor structure and validity of the Dutch version of the Cohen-Mansfield Agitation Inventory (CMAI-D). J Am Geriatr Soc 44: 888–889. , .
- 2008. Cohen-Mansfield Agitation Inventory, Dutch Version, second version with norm score. Lundbeck Publishers: Amsterdam, The Netherlands. , .
- 2007. An investigation of long-term effects of group music therapy on agitation levels of people with Alzheimer's Disease. Aging Ment Health 11: 330–338. , .
- 2011. Effectiveness of group music intervention against agitated behavior in elderly persons with dementia. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 26: 670–678. , , , et al.
- 2001. The use of music to decrease agitated behaviour of the demented elderly: the state of the science. Scand J Caring Sci 15: 165–173. .
- 1995. The use of the Cohen-Mansfield Agitation Inventory in the assessment of behavioral disorders in nursing homes. J Am Geriatr Soc 43: 546–549. , , .
- Nice Guideline No 42 2006. 2011. Dementia: supporting people with dementia and their carers in health and social care. Last retrieved on March 18, 2012 at: http://www.nice.org.uk/.
- 2009. Effects of music therapy on autonomic nervous system activity, incidence of heart failure events, and plasma cytokine and catecholamine levels in elderly patients with cerebrovascular disease and dementia. Int Heart J 50: 95–110. , , , et al.
- 2010. Nonpharmacological therapies in Alzheimer's disease: a systematic review of efficacy. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 30: 161–178. , , , et al.
- 2008. Efficacy of music therapy in the treatment of behavioral and psychiatric symptoms of dementia. Alz Dis Assoc Dis 22: 158–162. , , , et al.
- 2010. Effects of music therapy on psychological symptoms and heart rate variability in patients with dementia. A pilot study. Curr Aging Sci 2010(3): 242–246. , , , et al.
- 1996. Influence of dinner music on food intake and symptoms common in dementia. Scand J Caring Sci 10: 11–17. , , , .
- 1982. The Global Deterioration Scale for assessment of primary degenerative dementia. Am J Psychiatry 139: 1136–1139. Dutch Translation G.A. de Bruyne en J.B. Muskens. , , , .
- 2000. Evidence-based Medicine: How to Practice and to Teach EBM. Churchill Livingstone: London. , , , , .
- 2006. The effects of group music with movement intervention on agitated behaviours of institutionalized elders with dementia in Taiwan. Complement Ther Med 14: 113–119. , , , .
- 2006. Music therapy in moderate and severe dementia of Alzheimer's type: a case–control study. Int Psychogeriatr 18: 613–621. , .
- 1995. Effects of calming music on the level of agitation in cognitively impaired nursing home residents. Am J Al Care Relat Dis Res Jan-Feb: 10–15. , , .
- 1998. The effects of music on bathing cooperation for residents with dementia. J Music Ther 35: 68–68. , , .
- 2006. A preliminary study of the effects of music therapy on agitation in Chinese patients with dementia. Hong Kong J Psychiatry 163: 87–91. , .
- 2010. Psychosocial interventions on behavioral problems in long-term care homes. Int Psychogeriatr 22: 1121–1128 , , , , .
- 2000a. The problem of agitation in elderly people and the potential benefit of music therapy. In Music Therapy in Dementia Care, Aldridge D (ed.). Jessica Kingsley Publishers: London; 102–118. .
- 2000b. A survey of music therapy practice with elderly people in the Netherlands. In Music Therapy in Dementia Care, Aldridge D (ed.). Jessica Kingsley Publishers: London; 119–138. .
- 2011. Music therapy for people with dementia. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, Issue 3. , , .
- 2007. Prevalence of neuropsychiatric symptoms in a large sample of Dutch nursing home patients with dementia. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 227: 632–638. , , , .
- 2011. Assessing neuropsychiatric symptoms in nursing home patients with dementia: reliability and Reliable Change Index of the Neuropsychiatric Inventory and the Cohen-Mansfield Agitation Inventory. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 26: 127–134. , , , et al.