Patient and carer views on participating in clinical trials for prodromal Alzheimer's disease and mild cognitive impairment
Article first published online: 6 MAY 2013
Copyright © 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry
Volume 29, Issue 1, pages 22–31, January 2014
How to Cite
Lawrence, V., Pickett, J., Ballard, C. and Murray, J. (2014), Patient and carer views on participating in clinical trials for prodromal Alzheimer's disease and mild cognitive impairment. Int. J. Geriat. Psychiatry, 29: 22–31. doi: 10.1002/gps.3958
- Issue published online: 6 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 6 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 2 SEP 2012
- Roche Products Ltd
- 1982. The therapeutic misconception: informed consent in psychiatric research. International Journal of Law and Psychiatry 5: 319–329. , , .
- 2007. Research criteria for the diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease: revising the NINCDS–ADRDA criteria Lancet Neurology 6: 734–746. , , et al.
- 2010. Revising the definition of Alzheimer's disease: a new lexicon Lancet Neurology 9: 1118–1127. , , et al.
- 2011. Alzheimer's disease Lancet 377: 1019–1031. , , , , , .
- 2012. Close to the bench as well as at the bedside: involving service users in all phases of translational research. Health Expectations 15, 389–400. , , .
- 2012. Drug repositioning for Alzheimer's disease. Nature Reviews. Drug Discovery 11: 833–46. , , et al.
- 2008. Reaction to a dementia diagnosis in individuals with Alzheimer's Disease and mild cognitive impairment. The American Geriatrics Society 56: 405–412. , , , et al.
- 2009. Development of a complex intervention improved randomization and informed consent in a randomized controlled trial. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology 62: 29–36. , , , et al.
- 2000. What makes clinical research ethical? Journal of the American Medical Association 283(20): 2701–2711. , , .
- 2010. Alzheimer's failure raises questions about disease-modifying strategies. Nature Reviews. Drug Discovery 9: 749–751. .
- 1978. Theoretical Sensitivity: Advances in the metholology of Grounded Theory. Calafornia: Sociology Press. .
- 2006. Association between CSF biomarkers and incipient Alzheimer's disease in patients with mild cognitive impairment: a follow-up study. Lancet Neurology 5(3): 228–234. , , , , , .
- 2011. Introduction to the recommendations from the National Institute on Aging-Alzheimer's Association workgroups on diagnostic guidelines for Alzheimer's disease. Alzheimer's & Dementia 7(3): 257–262. ., , , et al.
- 2011. D. The amyloid cascade hypothesis for Alzheimer's disease: an appraisal for the development of therapeutics. Nature Reviews. Drug Discovery 10: 698–712. , , ,
- 2002. Impaired decision-making ability in subjects with Alzheimer's disease and willingness to participate in research. The American Journal of Psychiatry 159: 797–802. , , .
- 2001. How do AD patients and their caregivers decide whether to enroll in a clinical trial? Neurology 56: 789–792. ., , , .
- 1995. Qualitative research: introducing focus groups British Medical Journal. 311: 299–302. .
- 2011. The diagnosis of dementia due to Alzheimer's disease: recommendations from the National Institute on Aging-Alzheimer's Association workgroups on diagnostic guidelines for Alzheimer's disease. Alzheimer's & Dementia 7(3): 263–269. , , , et al.
- 2010. To know or not to know: ethical issues related to early diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease. International Journal of Alzheimer's Disease 2010: 1–4. , , .
- 2012. Mechanism of amyloid removal in patients with Alzheimer disease treated with gantenerumab. Archives of Neurology 69(2): 198–207. , , , et al.
- 2009. Early diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease: is MCI too late? Currrent Alzheimer Research 6(4): 324–330. .
- 2011. Ethical considerations of biomarker use in neurodegenerative diseases – a case study of Alzheimer's disease. Progress in Neurobiology 95(4): 517–519. , .
- 2010. 11C-PiB PET assessment of change in fibrillar amyloid-beta load in patients with Alzheimer's disease treated with bapineuzumab: a phase 2, double-blind, placebo-controlled, ascending-dose study. Lancet Neurology 9(4): 363–372. , , , et al.
- 2010. Safety and changes in plasma and cerebrospinal fluid amyloid beta after a single administration of an amyloid beta monoclonal antibody in subjects with Alzheimer disease. Clinical Neuropharmacology 33(2): 67–73. , , , et al.
- 2009. Biomarkers in psychiatry. Nature 460: 202–207. , .
- 2011. Testing the right target and right drug at the right stage. Science Translation Medicine 3(111): 1–5. , , .
- 2012. Amyloid-related imaging abnormalities in patients withAlzheimer's disease treated with bapineuzumab:a retrospective analysis. Lancet Neurology. , , , et al.
- 2010. Barriers and facilitators of African American participation in Alzheimer Disease biomarker research. Alzheimer Disease and Association Disorders 24(3Suppl 1): S24–S29. , , , et al.