The diagnosis, prevalence and outcome of delirium in a cohort of older people with mental health problems on general hospital wards
Article first published online: 22 APR 2013
Copyright © 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry
Volume 29, Issue 1, pages 32–40, January 2014
How to Cite
Whittamore, K. H., Goldberg, S. E., Gladman, J. R.F., Bradshaw, L. E., Jones, R. G. and Harwood, R. H. (2014), The diagnosis, prevalence and outcome of delirium in a cohort of older people with mental health problems on general hospital wards. Int. J. Geriat. Psychiatry, 29: 32–40. doi: 10.1002/gps.3961
- Issue published online: 6 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 22 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 16 NOV 2012
- 2010. Delirium scales: a review of current evidence. Aging Ment Health 14: 543–555. , , , .
- 1988. Cornell scale for depression in dementia. Biol Psychiatry 23: 271–284. , , , .
- American Psychiatric Association. 2000. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: Fourth Edition: Text Revision. American Psychiatric Association: Virginia.
- 2009. Inter-rater reliability of the DRS-R-98 in detecting delirium in frail elderly patients. Age Ageing 38: 241–4. , , , et al.
- 2005. Incomplete functional recovery after delirium in elderly people: a prospective cohort study. BMC Geriatr 5:5. , , .
- 1987. A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation. J Chronic Dis 40: 373–383. , , , .
- 2002a. Systematic detection and multidisciplinary care of delirium in older medical inpatients: a randomized trial. CMAJ 167: 753–9. , , , et al.
- 2002b. Symptoms of delirium among elderly medical inpatients with or without dementia. J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 14: 167–175. , , , .
- 2009. Persistent delirium in older hospital patients: a systematic review of frequency and prognosis. Age Ageing 38: 19–26. , , , .
- 1994. Systematic intervention for elderly inpatients with delirium: a randomized trial. CMAJ 151, 965–70. , , et al.
- 1994. The Neuropsychiatric Inventory: comprehensive assessment of psychopathology in dementia. Neurology 44: 2308–14. , , , et al.
- 2008. Comparison of 2 frailty indexes for prediction of falls, disability, fractures, and death in older women. Arch Intern Med 168: 382–9. , , , et al.
- 1984. Detecting alcoholism: the CAGE questionnaire. JAMA 252: 1905–1907. .
- 2002. Delirium superimposed on dementia: a systematic review. Journal of the American Geriatric Society 50: 1723–1732. , , .
- 1975. Mini-mental state. A practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician. Journal of Psychiatric Research 12: 189–198. , , .
- 1997. Cause and prognosis in elderly patients admitted to a district general hospital. Age Ageing 26: 423–427. , , .
- 2012. The prevalence of mental health problems among older adults admitted as an emergency to a general hospital. Age Ageing 41: 80–86. , , et al.
- 1987. Epidemiology in Medicine. Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins: Baltimore. , , .
- 1972. Evaluation of a mental test score for assessment of mental impairment in the elderly. Age Ageing 1: 233–8. .
- 2009. Chinese version of the Delirium Rating Scale-Revised-98: reliability and validity. Compr Psychiatry 50: 81–85. , , , et al.
- 2003. The Confusion Assessment Method (CAM): Training Manual and Coding Guide. New Haven: Yale University School of Medicine. .
- 1999. A multicomponent intervention to prevent delirium in hospitalized older patients. N Engl J Med 340: 669–76. , , , et al.
- 2006. Recoverable cognitive dysfunction at hospital admission in older persons during acute illness. J Gen Intern Med 21: 1276–1281. , , , et al.
- 2010. Japanese version of the Delirium Rating Scale, Revised–98 (DRS-R98–J): reliability and validity. Psychosomatics 51: 425–431. , , , , .
- 1965. Functional evaluation: the Barthel Index. Md State Med J 14: 56–61. , .
- 2001. Reducing delirium after hip fracture: a randomized trial. J Am Geriatr Soc 49:516–22. , , , .
- 2003. Delirium symptoms in post-acute care: prevalent, persistent, and associated with poor functional recovery. J Am Geriatr Soc 51: 4–9. , , , et al.
- 2003. The course of delirium in older medical inpatients. A prospective study. Journal of General Internal Medicine 18: 696–704. , , , .
- 2011. A systematic review of the prevalence, associations and outcomes of dementia in older general hospital inpatients. Int Psychogeriatr 23: 344–355. ,
- National Institute for health and clinical excellence 2010. Delirium: Diagnosis, Prevention and Management. London: National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence.
- 2006. Multicomponent geriatric intervention for elderly inpatients with delirium: a randomized, controlled trial. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 61:176–81. , , , .
- 2004. How do delirium and dementia increase length of stay of elderly general medical inpatient? Psychosomatics 45: 235–242. , , , et al.
- 1997. Screening for depression among acutely ill geriatric inpatients with a short geriatric depression scale. Age Ageing 26: 217–221. , , , et al.
- 2006. Occurrence and outcome of delirium in medical in-patients: a systematic literature review. Age Ageing 35: 350–364. , , .
- 2001. Validation of a Modified Early Warning Score in medical admissions. Q J Med 94: 521–6. , , .
- 2001. Validation of the Delirium Rating Scale-Revised-98: comparison with the Delirium Rating Scale and the Cognitive Test for Delirium. Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neuroscience 13: 229–242. , , , et al.