Receiving while giving: The differential roles of receiving help and satisfaction with help on caregiver rewards among spouses and adult-children
Article first published online: 22 APR 2013
Copyright © 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry
Volume 29, Issue 1, pages 41–48, January 2014
How to Cite
Savundranayagam, M. Y. (2014), Receiving while giving: The differential roles of receiving help and satisfaction with help on caregiver rewards among spouses and adult-children. Int. J. Geriat. Psychiatry, 29: 41–48. doi: 10.1002/gps.3967
- Issue published online: 6 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 22 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 24 SEP 2012
- 2005. Empowering family caregivers: the powerful tools for caregiving program. Educ Gerontology 31: 573–586. , & .
- 2010. Development of a conceptual framework of positive aspects of caregiving in dementia. Dementia 9: 327–353. , & .
- 2002. Burden and well-being among caregivers: examining the distinction. Gerontologist 42: 772–780. & .
- 2002. Evaluating goodness-of-fit indexes for testing measurement invariance. Struct Equ Model 9: 233–255. & .
- 2008. Changes in social support and their impact on psychosocial outcome over a 5-year period for African American and White dementia caregivers. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 23: 857–862. , , & .
- 2004. Social relationships and health. Am Psychol 59: 676–684. .
- 2002). Positive aspects of caregiving: rounding out the caregiver experience. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 17: 184–188. , & . (
- 2006. Predictors of improvement in social support: five year effects of a structured intervention for caregivers of spouses with Alzheimer's disease. Social Sci Med 63: 957–967. , , & .
- 2007. Evidence-based psychological treatments for distress in family caregivers of older adults. Psychol Aging 22: 37–51. & .
- 1998. Predicting longitudinal change in caregiver physical and mental health: a stress process model. Health Psychol 17: 190–198. , , & .
- 2005. Instrumental help and caregivers' distress: effects of change in informal and formal help. Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen 20: 181–190. , , , & .
- 1993. LISREL 8: Structural Equation Modeling with SIMPLIS Command Language. Scientific Software International Inc.: Chicago, IL & .
- 2010. Social support, caregiver burden, and life satisfaction in a sample of rural African American and white caregivers of older persons with dementia. J Gerontol Soc Work 53: 251–269. , , & .
- 1998. Principles and Practice of Structural Equation Modeling. Guilford Press: New York. .
- 1997. Gain in the caregiving experience: where are we? What next? Gerontologist 37: 218–232. .
- 2010. Predicting gains in dementia caregiving. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 29: 115–122. , , , , & .
- 1997. Mean and covariance structures (MACS) analyses of cross-cultural data: practical and theoretical issues. Multivariate Behav Res 32: 53–76. .
- 2004. Ethnicity and time to institutionalization of dementia patients: a comparison of Latina and Caucasian female family caregivers. J Am Geriatr Soc 52: 1077–1084. , , , et al.
- 2001. A latent difference score approach to longitudinal dynamic analysis. In Structural Equation Modeling: Present and Future, Cudeck R, DU TOIT S & SÖRBOM D (eds.). Scientific Software International: Lincolnwood, IL; 342–380. .
- 1993. Measurement invariance, factor analysis and factorial invariance. Psychometrika 58: 525–543. .
- 2010. The positive aspects of the caregiving journey with dementia: using a strengths-based perspective to reveal opportunities. J Appl Gerontol 29: 640–659. , , , et al.
- 2003. Associations of stressors and uplifts of caregiving with caregiver burden and depressive mood: a meta-analysis. J Gerontology: Psychological Sci 58: P112–P128. & .
- 2005. Transitions in caregivers use of paid help: associations with stress appraisals and well-being. Gerontologist 20: 211–219. , , & .
- 2004. The costs and rewards of caregiving among aging spouses and adult children. Family Relat 53: 317–325. & .
- 2001. Structural equation modeling. In Modern Methods for Business Research, MARCOULIDES (ed.). Erlbaum: Mahway, NJ .
- 2005. Changes in social support as mediators of the impact of a psychosocial intervention for spouse caregivers of persons with Alzheimer's disease. Psychol Aging 20: 634–644. , , , & .
- 2010. Testing self-efficacy as a pathway that supports self care among dementia family caregivers in a psychoeducational intervention. J Family Social Work 13, 149–162. & .
- 2010). Impact of role discrepancies on caregiver burden among spouses. Research on Aging 32(2) 175–199. & (
- 2005. Investigating the effects of communication problems on caregiver burden. J Gerontology: Social Sci 60B: S48-S55. , & .
- 2010. Impact of a psychoeducational program on three types of caregiver burden among spouses. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 26(4): 388–296. , , & .
- 2000. The Caregiver Help Book (use in the Powerful Tools for Caregiving). Oregon Gerontological Association, Legacy Health System: Oregon. , & .
- 1997. Health effects of caregiving: the caregiver health effects study: an ancillary study of the Cardiovascular Health Study. Ann Behav Med 19: 110–116. , , , et al.
- 1994. Assessing impact on family caregivers to Alzheimer's disease patients. Am J Family Ther 22: 57–66. & .
- 2004. Positive aspects of caregiving. Research on Aging 26: 429–453. , , , et al.
- 2010. Gain in Alzheimer Care INstrument—a new scale to measure caregiving gains in dementia. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 18: 68–76, doi: 10.1097/JGP.0b013e3181bd1dcd , , , , & .