Social relations and depression in late life—A systematic review
Article first published online: 29 MAY 2013
Copyright © 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry
Volume 29, Issue 1, pages 1–21, January 2014
How to Cite
Schwarzbach, M., Luppa, M., Forstmeier, S., König, H.-H. and Riedel-Heller, S. G. (2014), Social relations and depression in late life—A systematic review. Int. J. Geriat. Psychiatry, 29: 1–21. doi: 10.1002/gps.3971
- Issue published online: 6 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 29 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 3 MAY 2012
- 2008. Community participation and the emergence of late-life depressive symptoms: differences between women and men. J Womens` Health 17(9): 463–1470. available from: ISI:000261331400007 , .
- 2001. Depressive symptoms normal elderly and associated factors in a cognitively population: the Tajiri project. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 16(8): 780–788. available from: ISI:000170834800006 , , , et al.
- American Psychiatric Association. 1994. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorder: DSM-IV. Washington, D.C.
- 2007. Association between lifestyle activity and depressed mood among home-dwelling older people: a community-based study in Japan. Aging Ment Health 11(5): 547–555. available from: ISI:000250109900010 , , , et al.
- 2000. From social integration to health: Durkheim in the new millennium. Soc Sci Med 51(6): 843–857. available from: ISI:000088505700006 , , , .
- 2003. Depression in late life: Review and commentary. J Gerontol Series A-Biol Sci Med Sci 58(3): 249–265. available from: ISI:000181447200009 .
- 2008. Factors associated with depressive symptoms measured by the 12-item general health questionnaire in community-dwelling older adults (the Bambui health aging study). Rev Bras Psiquiatr 30(2): 104–109. available from: PM:18470408 , , , , .
- 2011. Assessing social support and depressive symptoms in older Chinese adults:a longitudinal perspective. Aging Ment Health 15(6): 765–774. .
- 2005. Prevalence of depression and its correlates in Hong Kong's Chinese older adults. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 13(5): 409–416. available from: PM:15879590 , , , et al.
- 2003. Reciprocal relationship between social support and depressive symptoms among Chinese elderly. Aging Ment Health 7(3): 224–231. available from: PM:12775405 , .
- 1985. Stress, social support, and the buffering hypothesis. Psychol Bull 98(2): 310–357. available from: ISI:A1985AQC4600006 , .
- 2002. The geriatric mental state examination in the 21st century. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 17(8): 729–732. , , , et al.
- 2003. Social ties and perceived support: two dimensions of social relationships and health among the elderly in Taiwan. J Aging Health 15(4): 616–644. available from: ISI:000185776600002 , , , , .
- 2006. Prevalence and predictors of depression in populations of elderly: a review. Acta Psychiatr Scand 113(5): 372–387. available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16603029 .
- 1999. Social relations: network, support and relational strain. Soc Sci Med 48(5): 661–673. , , , , .
- 2006. Social network typologies and mental health among older adults. J Gerontol Series B: Psychological Sci Social Sci 61(1): 25–32. available from: PM:16399938 , , .
- 2000. Predictors for depression, anxiety and psychotic symptoms in a very elderly population: data from a 3-year follow-up study. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 35(6): 259–263. available from: PM:10939425 .
- 1999. Incidence of major depression in a very elderly population. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 14(5): 368–372. , .
- 2012. Living alone is associated with depression among the elderly in a rural community in Japan. Psychogeriatrics 12(3): 179–185. available from: ISI:000308993600006 , , , et al.
- 2011. Age- and gender-specific prevalence and risk factors for depressive symptoms in the elderly: a population-based study. Int Psychogeriatr 23(8): 1294–1300. , , , , .
- 2006. Social engagement and depressive symptoms in late life: longitudinal findings. J Aging Health 18(4): 604–628. available from: ISI:000239280000007 , , , .
- 2004. Religious attendance and depressive symptoms among community dwelling elderly in Taiwan. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 19(12): 1148–1154. available from: ISI:000225805400004 , , , , .
- 2001. Psychological complaints in the elderly - standardization of the symptom checklist SCL-90-R for 60+. Z Gerontol Geriatr 34(6): 498–508. available from: ISI:000173242300015 , , .
- 1987. Social support and social structure. Sociological Forum 2(1): 135–146. .
- 2001. Toward a threshold for subthreshold depression: an analysis of correlates of depression by severity of symptoms using data from an elderly community sample. Gerontologist 41(3): 357–365. available from: ISI:000169119700009 , , .
- 2009. Social activity and improvement in depressive symptoms in older people: a prospective community cohort study. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 17(8): 688–696. available from: ISI:000268428000008 , , , , .
- 2001. Social ties and mental health. J Urban Health 78(3): 458–467. available from: PM:11564849 , .
- 2004. Lifetime urban/rural residence, social support and late-life depression in Korea. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 19(9): 843–851. available from: ISI:000223870500004 , , , , .
- 2003. Reported nonreciprocity of social exchange and depressive symptoms extending the model of effort-reward imbalance beyond work. Journal of Psychosomatic Research 55: 209–214. available from: ISI:000185034100005 , .
- 2009. Stressful experiences in social relationships and ill health. Psychother Psychosom Med Psychol 59(5): 186–193. available from: PM:18600613 , , , et al.
- 2005. Association between social support and depression status in the elderly: results of a one-year community-based prospective cohort study in Japan. Int Psychogeriatr 17: 355. available from: ISI:000233322400659 , , , et al.
- 2011. Gender differences in depressive symptoms of aging Chinese in urban Jiangsu in China. Clin Gerontol 34: 190–206. , .
- 2009. The effects of church attendance and marital status on the longitudinal trajectories of depressed mood among older adults. J Aging Health 21(6): 803–823. available from: ISI:000269343500001 , .
- 2007. Social support and family functioning on psychological symptoms in elderly Chinese. Arch Gerontol Geriatr 44(2): 203–213. available from: PM:16854478 , , , .
- 2005. Volunteering and depression in later life: social benefit or selection processes? J Health Soc Behav 46(1): 68–84. , .
- 2011. The association between social network relationships and depressive symptoms among older Americans: what matters most? Int Psychogeriatr 23(6): 930–940. available from: ISI:000292053200009 .
- 1997. Depressive disorders among older residents in a Chinese rural community. Psychol Med 27(4): 943–949. available from: ISI:A1997XM25300018 , , , et al.
- 2010. Health, financial stresses, and life satisfaction affecting late-life depression among older adults: a nationwide, longitudinal survey in Taiwan. Arch Gerontol Geriatr 50: S34–S38. available from: ISI:000274865000009 , , .
- 2007. Cost-of-illness studies of depression: a systematic review. J Affect Disord 98(1-2): 29–43. available from: ISI:000244116700003 , , , , .
- 2010a. Prediction of institutionalization in the elderly. A systematic review. Age and Ageing 39(1): 31–38. available from: ISI:000272922800007 , , , et al.
- 2010b. Age- and gender-specific prevalence of depression in latest-life – systematic review and meta-analysis. J Affect Disord 136(3): 212–221. , , , et al.
- 2011. Prevalence and risk factors of depressive symptoms in latest life-results of the Leipzig longitudinal study of the aged (LEILA 75+). Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 27(3): 286–295. available from: ISI:000299552000008 , , , et al.
- 2012. Natural course of depressive symptoms in late life. An 8-year population-based prospective study. J Affect Disord 142(1-3): 166–171. available from: ISI:000310565900025 , , , , .
- 2009. Social relationships and depression among people 65 years and over living in rural and urban areas of Quebec. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 24(11): 1226–1236. available from: ISI:000271558500007 , , , .
- 2010. Gender, social relationships and depressive disorders in adults aged 65 and over in Quebec. Chronic Dis Can 30(2): 56–65. available from: ISI:000275515600004 , , , .
- 2003. Volunteering and depression: the role of psychological and social resources in different age groups. Soc Sci Med 56(2): 259–269. , .
- 2005. Prevalence and correlates of depression in late life: a population based study from a rural Greek town. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 20(4): 350–357. , , , et al.
- 2005. Correlates of suicide in the older adult population in Quebec. Suicide Life Threat Behav 35(1): 91–105. available from: ISI:000227707600008 , , , , .
- 1977. The CES-D scale. A self-report depression scale for research in the general population. Appl Psychol Meas 1(3): 385–401. .
- 2009. Nature, prevalence and factors associated with depression among the elderly in a rural south Indian community. Int Psychogeriatr 21(2): 372–378. available from: PM:19243657 , , , et al.
- 1996. Social ties and health: the benefits of social integration. Ann Epidemiol 6(5): 442–451. available from: ISI:A1996VQ68400013 .
- 2008. Impacts of poor social support on general health status in community-dwelling Korean elderly: the results from the Korean longitudinal study on health and aging. Psychiat Invest 5(3): 155–162. available from: ISI:000265363200004 , , , et al.
- 1998. Comparison of life style and health status between U.S. and Japanese elderly. J Health Welfare Stat 45(6): 23–29. , , , , .
- 2002. The impact of social ties on depressive symptoms in U.S. and Japanese elderly. J Soc Issues 58(4): 785–804. , , , , .
- 1995. Stress, coping, and social support processes: where are we? What next? J Health Soc Behav 35: 53–79. .
- 2010. The gender gap in depressive symptoms among Japanese elders: evaluating social support and health as mediating factors. J Cross Cult Gerontol 25(3): 239–256. .
- 2005. Associations between loneliness, depressive symptoms and perceived togetherness in older people. Aging Ment Health 9(6): 526–534. available from: ISI:000232383300005 , .
- 2005. Prevalence and risk factors for depressive symptoms among community-dwelling elders in Taiwan. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 20(11): 1097–1102. available from: PM:16250081 , , .
- 2001. Support from children, living arrangements, self-rated health and depressive symptoms of older people in Spain. Int J Epidemiol 30(5): 1090–1099. available from: ISI:000172147100035 , , .