Antipsychotics for delirium in the general hospital setting in consecutive 2453 inpatients: a prospective observational study
Version of Record online: 25 JUN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry
Volume 29, Issue 3, pages 253–262, March 2014
How to Cite
Hatta, K., Kishi, Y., Wada, K., Odawara, T., Takeuchi, T., Shiganami, T., Tsuchida, K., Oshima, Y., Uchimura, N., Akaho, R., Watanabe, A., Taira, T., Nishimura, K., Hashimoto, N., Usui, C. and Nakamura, H. (2014), Antipsychotics for delirium in the general hospital setting in consecutive 2453 inpatients: a prospective observational study. Int. J. Geriat. Psychiatry, 29: 253–262. doi: 10.1002/gps.3999
- Issue online: 11 FEB 2014
- Version of Record online: 25 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 22 MAR 2013
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science. Grant Number: 23591728
- American Psychiatric Association. 1999. Practice guideline for the treatment of patients with delirium. Am J Psychiatry 156(5 Suppl): 1–20.
- American Psychiatric Association. 2000. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorder, Text Revision. 4th edition. American Psychiatric Press: Washington, DC.
- 2010. Efficacy and safety of quetiapine in critically ill patients with delirium: a prospective, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study. Crit Care Med 38: 419–427. , , , et al.
- 2009. A retrospective, exploratory, secondary analysis of the association between antipsychotic use and mortality in elderly patients with delirium. Int Psychogeriatr 21: 588–592. , , , et al.
- 2010. International consensus study of antipsychotic dosing. Am J Psychiatry 167: 686–693. , , , et al.
- 1976. ECDEU assessment manual for psychopharmacology. US Dept of Health, Education, and Welfare: Bethesda. .
- 2012. Differential risk of death in older residents in nursing homes prescribed specific antipsychotic drugs: population based cohort study. BMJ 344: e977. , , , et al.
- 1996. Evaluation and Diagnosis of Drug-induced Extrapyramidal Symptoms: Commentary on the DIEPSS and Guide to its Usage. Seiwa Shoten Publishers: Tokyo.
- 2008. Antipsychotic drug use and risk of pneumonia in elderly people. J Am Geriatr Soc 56: 661–666. , , , et al.
- 2006. Systematic review of antipsychotics for the treatment of hospital-associated delirium in medically or surgically ill patients. Ann Pharmacother 40: 1966–1973. , , .
- 2007. Antipsychotics for delirium. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2: CD005594. , , , et al.
- 2007. Determination of perospirone by liquid chromatography/electrospray mass spectrometry: application to a pharmacokinetic study in healthy Chinese volunteers. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 847: 210–216 , , , et al.
- 2003. Aripiprazole in the treatment of schizophrenia: safety and tolerability in short-term, placebo-controlled trials. Schizophr Res 61: 123–136. , , , et al.
- 2008. A new data-based motor subtype schema for delirium. J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 20: 185–193. , , , et al.
- 1987. Decreased extrapyramidal symptoms with intravenous haloperidol. J Clin Psychiatry 48: 278–280. , , , et al.
- 2007. Delirium: guidelines for general hospitals. J Psychosom Res 62: 371–383. , , , et al.
- 2005. Risk of death with atypical antipsychotic drug treatment for dementia: meta-analysis of randomized placebo-controlled trials. JAMA 294: 1934–1943. , , .
- 2010. A randomized controlled trial of quetiapine versus placebo in the treatment of delirium. J Psychosom Res 69: 1485–490. , , , et al.
- 1999. The delirium rating scale. Its use in consultation-liaison research. Psychosomatics 40:193–204. .
- US Food and Drug Administration. 2005. FDA Public Health Advisory: deaths with antipsychotics in elderly patients with behavioral disturbances. [http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/advisory/antipsychotics.htm]
- 2005. Risk of death in elderly users of conventional vs. atypical antipsychotic medications. N Engl J Med 353: 2335–2341. , , , et al.