This article was published online on 19 December 2013. An omission from the Acknowledgements section was subsequently identified. This notice is included in the online and print versions to indicate that both have been corrected [7 July 2014]
Efficacy of pain treatment on mood syndrome in patients with dementia: a randomized clinical trial†
Version of Record online: 19 DEC 2013
© 2013 The Authors. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry
Volume 29, Issue 8, pages 828–836, August 2014
How to Cite
2014), Efficacy of pain treatment on mood syndrome in patients with dementia: a randomized clinical trial, Int J Geriatr Psychiatry, 29, pages 828–836, doi: 10.1002/gps.4063, , , and (
- Issue online: 16 JUL 2014
- Version of Record online: 19 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 11 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Received: 11 JUN 2013
- Norwegian Research Council. Grant Number: 189439
- University of Bergen. Grant Number: 09/1568
- 2003. Behavioral problems in dementia: a factor analysis of the neuropsychiatric inventory. Dementia Geriatr Cogn Disord 15: 99–105. , , , et al.
- AGS Panel. 2009. Pharmacological management of persistent pain in older persons. J Am Geriatr Soc 57: 1331–1366.
- 2009. Willingness to participate in Alzheimer disease research and attitudes towards proxy-informed consent: results from the health and retirement study. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 17: 65–74. .
- 2002. The efficacy of antidepressants in the treatment of depression in dementia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 4: CD003944. , , .
- 1996. Depression in dementia sufferers. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 11: 507–515. , , .
- 2000. Anxiety, depression and psychosis in vascular dementia: prevalence and associations. J Affect Disord 59: 97–106. , , , et al.
- 2009. Management of agitation and aggression associated with Alzheimer's disease: controversies and possible solutions. Curr Opin Psychiatry 22: 532–540. , , , .
- 2011. Sertraline or mirtazapine for depression in dementia (HTA-SADD): a randomised, multicentre, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 378: 403–411. , , , et al.
- 2010. A reliability and validity study of the cornell scale among elderly inpatients, using various clinical criteria. Dementia Geriatr Cogn Disord 29: 438–447. , , .
- 1995. Buprenorphine treatment of refractory depression. J Clin Phsychophramacol 15: 49–57. , , , et al.
- 1995. The relationships among anxiety, depression, and pain in a geriatric institutionalized sample. Pain 61: 271–276. , , , , .
- 2012. Neuropsychiatric symptom clusters of Alzheimer's disease in Hong Kong Chinese: prevalence and confirmatory factor analysis of the Neuropsychiatric Inventory. Int Psychogeriatr 24: 1465–1473. , , .
- 1998. The relationship between depressed affect, pain and cognitive function: a cross-sectional analysis of two elderly populations. Aging Ment Health 2: 313–318. , .
- 2004. Assessment of agitation in elderly patients with dementia: correlations between informant rating and direct observation. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 19: 881–891. , .
- 2012. Assessment and treatment of pain in people with dementia. Nat Rev Neurol 8: 264–274. , , , et al.
- 2011. Antidepressant use and risk of adverse outcomes in older people: population based cohort study. BMJ 343: d4551. , , , et al.
- 2005. A cross-sectional study of neuropsychiatric symptoms in 435 patients with Alzheimer's disease. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 13: 460–468. , , , , .
- 2005. Effect sizes. In: Discovering Statistics Using SPSS. 2nd edit. Sage Publcations: London. .
- 2006. Four components describe behavioral symptoms in 1120 individuals with late-onset Alzheimer's disease. J Am Geriatr Soc 54: 1348–1354. , , , et al.
- 2010. Pain in older persons with severe dementia. Psychometric properties of the mobilization-observation-behaviour-intensity-dementia (MOBID-2) pain scale in a clinical setting. Scand J Caring Sci 24: 380–391. , , , et al.
- 2011. Efficacy of treating pain to reduce behavioural disturbances in residents of nursing homes with dementia: cluster randomised clinical trial. BMJ 343: 1–10. , , , , .
- 2008. Advances in understanding the mechanisms and management of persistent pain in older adults. Br J Anaesth 101: 111–120. , , , .
- 2010. Cancer symptom clusters: old concept but new data. Am J Hospice Pall Med 27: 282–288. , , , .
- 2001. Apathy in Alzheimer's disease. J Am Geriatr Soc 49: 1700–1707. , , , .
- 2002. Depression in Alzheimer's disease: overview and treatment. Biol Psychiatry 52: 243–252. , .
- 2011. A systematic review and meta-analysis of placebo-controlled antidepressant studies in people with depression and dementia. J Am Geriatr Soc 59: 577–585. , .
- 2002. Provisional diagnostic criteria for depression of Alzheimer disease. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 10: 125–128. , , , et al.
- 2011. Cognitive decline in patients with dementia as a function of depression. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 19: 357–363. , , , et al.
- 1988. Functional assessment staging (FAST). Psychopharm Bull 24: 653–659. .
- 2005. Grouping for behavioral and psychological symptoms in dementia: clinical and biological aspects. Consensus paper of the European Alzheimer disease consortium. Eur Psychiatry 20: 490–496. , , , et al.
- 2012. Trends in psychotropic drug prescribing in Norwegian nursing homes from 1997 to 2009: a comparison of six cohorts. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. DOI.10.1002/gps.3902. , , , et al.
- 2007. Mood-elevating effects of opioid analgesics in patients with bipolar disorders. J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 19: 449–452. , , , .
- 2007. The reliability and validity of the Norwegian version of the Neuropsychiatric Inventory, Nursing Home Version (NPI-NH). Int Psychogeriatr 20: 1–9. , , , .
- 2008. The course of psychiatric and behavioral symptoms and the use of psychotropic medication in patients with dementia in Norwegian nursing homes—a 12-month follow-up study. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 16: 528–536. , , .
- 2012. Stability of the factor structure of the Neuropsychiatric Inventory in a 31-month follow-up study of a large sample of nursing-home patients with dementia. Int Psychogeriatr 24: 62–73. , .
- 2005. Specificity of symptoms of depression in Alzheimer disease—a longitudinal analysis. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 13: 802–807. , , .
- 2008. Point and 5-year period prevalence of neuropsychiatric symptoms in dementia: the Cache County Study. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 23: 170–177. , , , et al.
- 2010. Cognitive impairment and life satisfaction in older adults. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 25: 814–821. , .
- 2007. Efficacy and safety of antidepressants for treatment of depression in Alzheimer's disease: a metaanalysis. Can J Psychiatry 52: 248–255. , , , .
- 2009. Comorbid depression in dementia on psychogeriatric nursing home wards: which symptoms are prominent? Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 17: 565–573. , , , et al.
- 2009. Pain in nursing home residents and correlation with neuropsychiatric disorders. Pain Phys 12: 877–880. , .
- 2010. Sertraline for the treatment of depression in Alzheimer disease: week-24 outcomes. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 18: 332–340. , , , et al.
- 2010. Course of neuropsychiatric symptoms in residents with dementia in long-term care institutions: a systematic review. Int Psychogeriatr 22: 1040–1053. , , , et al.