Extratropical forcing of ENSO
Article first published online: 26 APR 2013
©2013. American Geophysical Union. All Rights Reserved.
Geophysical Research Letters
Volume 40, Issue 8, pages 1605–1611, 28 April 2013
How to Cite
2013), Extratropical forcing of ENSO, Geophys. Res. Lett., 40, 1605–1611, doi:10.1002/grl.50229., , and (
- Issue published online: 17 MAY 2013
- Article first published online: 26 APR 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 29 MAR 2013 07:40AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 4 FEB 2013
- El Nino Southern Oscillation;
- ENSO predictability;
- singular value decomposition
 We present evidence that sea surface temperatures in the North Pacific, South Atlantic, and South Indian Oceans during late boreal winter offer another important source of predictability for El Niño Southern Oscillation (ENSO). This new SST predictor may provide accurate prediction of the amplitude of ENSO events before their onset, for both El Niño and La Niña events which occurred during recent decades.