Global Strategies and Inter-Organizational Networks
How tight an embrace? Choosing the optimal degree of partner interaction in alliances based on risk, technology characteristics, and agreement provisions
Article first published online: 13 MAY 2011
Copyright © 2011 Strategic Management Society
Global Strategy Journal
Special Issue: Invited Papers and Commentaries
Volume 1, Issue 1-2, pages 67–85, May 2011
How to Cite
Contractor, F. J., Woodley, J. A. and Piepenbrink, A. (2011), How tight an embrace? Choosing the optimal degree of partner interaction in alliances based on risk, technology characteristics, and agreement provisions. Global Strategy Journal, 1: 67–85. doi: 10.1002/gsj.1
- Issue published online: 13 MAY 2011
- Article first published online: 13 MAY 2011
- 2002. Categorical Data Analysis. Wiley-Interscience: New York.
- 2000. The structure of licensing contracts. Journal of Industrial Economics 48(1): 103–35. ,
- 2007. Contract design as a firm capability: an integration of learning and transaction cost perspectives. Academy of Management Review 32(4): 1060–1077. , .
- 2002. The diversity of technology licensing agreements. Unpublished paper, Université de Paris. , , .
- 2004. Equity alliances, stages of product development, and alliance instability. Journal of Engineering & Technology Management 21(3): 191–214. , .
- 2006. Uncertainty, opportunism, and governance: the effects of volatility and ambiguity on formal and relational contracting. Academy of Management Journal 49(5): 1058–1077. , , .
- 2003. Determinants of governance structure in alliances: the role of strategic, task and partner uncertainties. Industrial & Corporate Change 12(6): 1223–1251.
- 1990. Absorptive capacity: a new perspective on learning and innovation. Administrative Science Quarterly 35(1): 128–152. , .
- 2003. Alliance form: a test of the contractual and competence perspectives. Strategic Management Journal 24(12): 1209–1229.
- 1980. The profitability of technology licensing agreements by U.S. multinationals: a framework for analysis and an empirical study. Journal of International Business Studies 11(2): 40–62.
- 1981. International Technology Licensing. Lexington Books: Lexington, MA.
- 2002. How knowledge attributes influence alliance governance choices. Journal of International Management 8: 11–27. , .
- 2009. The influence of asymmetric bargaining power, mutual hostages, and task characteristics on the governance structure of cross-border technology alliances. International Journal of Technology Management 48(3): 403–422. , .
- 1998. Between trust and control: developing confidence in partner cooperation in alliances. Academy of Management Review 23(3): 491–512. , .
- 2009. Exclusivity, contingent control rights, and the design of Internet portal alliances. Journal of Law, Economics and Organization. Available at: http://jleo.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2009/11/30/jleo.ewp035?keytype=ref&ijkey=zk00tFdtt4uKTw0 (accessed 30 November 2009). , .
- 2008. Toward an integrative perspective on alliance governance: connecting contract design, trust dynamics, and contract application. Academy of Management Journal 51(6): 1053–1078. , , ,
- 1995. Does familiarity breed trust? The implications of repeated ties for contractual choice in alliances. Academy of Management Journal 38: 85–112.
- 2008. Interorganizational trust, governance choice, and exchange performance. Organizational Science 19(5): 688–708. , .
- 1998. The architecture of cooperation: managing coordination costs and appropriation concerns in strategic alliances. Administrative Science Quarterly 43(4): 781–804. , .
- 2006. Understanding the cross-level embeddedness of interfirm partnership formation. Academy of Management Review 31(3): 670–680.
- 2007. Contract law and the governance of interfirm technology partnerships: an analysis of different modes of partnering and their contractual implications. Journal of Management Studies 44(3): 342–366. , .
- 1991. Competition for competence and interpartner learning within international strategic alliances. Strategic Management Journal, Summer Special Issue 12: 83–103.
- 2008. Competitive advantage in alliance governance: resolving the opportunism minimization-gain maximization paradox. Managerial & Decision Economics 29(2/3): 191–208. , , .
- 2001. Regression Modeling Strategies: With Applications to Linear Models, Logistic Regression, and Survival Analysis. Springer: New York.
- 2000. Trust and adaptation in relational contracting. Academy of Management Review 25(4): 873–882. , .
- 2009. Managing strategic alliances: what do we know now, and where do we go from here? Academy of Management Perspectives 23: 45–62. , .
- 2000. Learning and protection of proprietary assets in strategic alliances: building relational capital. Strategic Management Journal 21(3): 217–238. , , .
- 2000. Collaboration and technology linkages: a strategic supplier typology. Strategic Management Journal 21(6): 649–663. , , .
- 1990. Finding Groups in Data: An Introduction to Cluster Analysis. Wiley: New York. , .
- 1992. Knowledge of the firm, combinative capabilities, and the replication of technology. Organization Science 3(3): 383–397. , .
- 2006. When does trust matter to alliance performance? Academy of Management Journal 49(5): 894–917. , , .
- 2006. Enhancing alliance performance: the effects of contractual-based versus relational-based governance. Journal of Business Research 59(8): 896–905. , .
- 1996. Knowledge acquisition from foreign parents in international joint ventures: an empirical examination in the Hungarian context. Journal of International Business Studies 27(5): 877–903. , .
- 2005. Cluster Analysis Basics and Extensions. Available at: http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/cluster/ (accessed 12 November 2010). , , , .
- 1997. A real options logic for initiating technology positioning investments. Academy of Management Review 22(4): 974–996.
- 2010. Alliance structure choice in the telecommunications industry: between resource type and resource heterogeneity. International Journal of Strategic Change Management 2(2/3): 128–144. , .
- 2002. Alliances with competitors: how to combine and protect key resources. Journal of Creativity & Innovation Management 11(3): 203–223. , , .
- 1996. Strategic alliances and interfirm knowledge transfer. Strategic Management Journal, Winter Special Issue 17: 77–91. , , .
- 1997. Effects of trust and governance on relational risk. Academy of Management Journal 40(2): 308–338. , , .
- 2005. MNC-SME strategic alliances: a model framing knowledge value as the primary predictor of governance modal choice. Journal of International Management 11(3): 397–416. ,
- 1990. Forms of interorganizational governance for multinational alliances. Academy of Management Journal 33: 503–519. , .
- 1999. Institutional environment and the mechanisms of governance: the impact of intellectual property. Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization 38(3): 283–309.
- 2009. Alliance structure and the scope of knowledge transfer: evidence from U.S.-Japan agreements. Management Science 55(4): 635–649. , .
- 2001. The impacts of alliance purpose and partner similarity on alliance governance. British Journal of Management 12(4): 341–353. , .
- 1996. When competition eclipses cooperation: an event history analysis of joint venture failure. Management Science 42(6): 875–890. , .
- 1997. The effect of national culture, organizational complementarity, and economic motivation on joint venture dissolution. Academy of Management Journal 40: 279–307. , .
- R Development Core Team. 2009. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. Available at: http://www.R-project.org (accessed 12 November 2010).
- 2007. Strategic alliance contracts: dimensions and determinants of contractual complexity. Strategic Management Journal 28(3): 313–330. , .
- 2006. Entrepreneurial alliances as contractual forms. Journal of Business Venturing 21(3): 306–325. , , .
- 1992. Structuring cooperative relationships between organizations. Strategic Management Journal 13(7): 483–498. ,
- 1994. Developmental processes of cooperative interorganizational relationships. Academy of Management Review 19: 90–118. ,
- 2004. Organizational choice in R&D alliances: knowledge-based and transaction cost perspectives. Managerial & Decision Economics 25(6): 421–436.
- 1995. Some antecedents of exclusivity in bilateral interorganizational relationships. Marketing Letters 6(1): 33–44.
- 2005. Intellectual Property: Valuation, Exploitation, and Infringement. Wiley: New York. , .
- 2003. The significance of Bruce Kogut's and Udo Zander's article, knowledge of the firm and the evolutionary theory of the multinational corporation. Journal of International Business Studies 34(6): 495–497.
- 1977. Technology transfer by multinational firms: the resource cost of transferring technological know-how. The Economic Journal 87: 242–261.
- 2004. Relationship governance in a supply chain network. Journal of Marketing 68(1): 73–89. , .
- 1983. Credible commitments: using hostages to support exchange. American Economic Review 73(4): 519–530.
- 1993. From transaction cost to transactional value analysis: implications for the study of interorganizational strategies. Journal of Management Studies 30(1): 131–145. , .