Eric Juengst, Michael A. Flatt, and Richard A. Settersten, Jr., “Personalized Genomic Medicine and the Rhetoric of Empowerment,”
Personalized Genomic Medicine and the Rhetoric of Empowerment
Article first published online: 13 SEP 2012
© 2012 by The Hastings Center
Hastings Center Report
Volume 42, Issue 5, pages 34–40, September-October 2012
How to Cite
Juengst, E. T., Flatt, M. A. and Settersten, R. A. (2012), Personalized Genomic Medicine and the Rhetoric of Empowerment. Hastings Center Report, 42: 34–40. doi: 10.1002/hast.65
- Issue published online: 13 SEP 2012
- Article first published online: 13 SEP 2012
- U.S. National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI). Grant Number: NIH R01 HG005277
- 1The Structure of Scientific Revolutions, 2nd ed. (Chicago, Ill.: University of Chicago Press, 1970).,
- 2Genetics and Health Care: A Paradigm Shift,” Perspectives in Biology and Medicine 33 (1990): 203–213The Human Genome Project and the Future of Medicine,” American Journal of Diseases of Children 147 (1993): 1145–52; Department of Health and Human Services, Personalized Health Care: Pioneers, Partnerships, Progress, November 2008, at 11, http://www.hhs.gov/myhealthcare/news/phc_2008_report.pdf; Personalized Medicine Coalition, “About the Personalized Medicine Coalition (PMC),” http://www.personalizedmedicinecoalition.org/about, accessed December 14, 2011., “
- 3The Language of Life: DNA and the Revolution in Personalized Medicine (New York: Harper Collins, 2010), xxiv–xxv.,
- 4The Case for Personalized Medicine,” 3rd ed. (Washington, D.C.: Personalized Medicine Coalition, 2011) at 17, http://www.personalizedmedicinecoalition.org/sites/default/files/files/Case_for_PM_3rd_edition.pdf., quoted in “
- 6Our analysis is structured using the “social worlds and arenas” theory described in A. Strauss, “A Social World Perspective,” in Studies in Symbolic Interaction, Vol. 1, ed. N. Denzin (Greenwich, Conn.: JAI Press, 1978), 119–28.
- 723andMe, “Core Values,” http://www.23andme.com/about/values/, accessed April 29, 2008.
- 8deCODEme, “deCODEme Complete Scan,” https://www.decodeme.com/complete-genetic-scan, accessed August 14, 2009.
- 10Hood and Friend, “Predictive, Personalized, Preventive, Participatory (P4) Cancer Medicine.”
- 11P4 Medicine Institute, “About,” https://www.facebook.com/p4Mi.USA/info, accessed August 1, 2012.
- 12Duke Center for Personalized Medicine, “What Is Personalized Medicine?” http://www.dukepersonalizedmedicine.org/what_is_personalized_medicine/, accessed December 14, 2011.
- 13Cleveland Clinic Center for Personalized Healthcare, “About the Center for Personalized Healthcare: Mission and Vision,” http://my.clevelandclinic.org/cph/about-us/mission.aspx, accessed December 14, 2011.
- 14Medical Sociology, 12th ed. (New York: Prentice Hall, 2011).,
- 15The Great Risk Shift: The Assault on American Jobs, Families, Health Care, and Retirement—and How You Can Fight Back (New York: Oxford University Press, 2006).,
- 16Collins, The Language of Life, 278.
- 17Department of Health and Human Services, “Personalized Health Care.”
- 18Personalized Medicine Coalition, “About the Personalized Medicine Coalition.”
- 20Citizen Empowerment: A Developmental Perspective,” in Studies in Empowerment: Steps towards Understanding and Action, ed. J. Rappaport and R. Hess (New York: Routledge, 1984)., “
- 21McGowan, Fishman, and Lambrix, “Personal Genomics and Individual Identities.”
- 24University of Utah, “Programmatic Initiatives: Personalized Medicine,” Together We Reach: The Campaign for the University of Utah, http://togetherwereach.net/personalized_medicine.html, accessed December 14, 2011.
- 25letter to the Food and Drug Administration concerning the Molecular and Clinical Genetics Panel of the Medical Devices Advisory Committee, February 23, 2011, http://www.ama-assn.org/ama1/pub/upload/mm/399/consumer-genetic-testing-letter.pdf.,
- 26Psychopharmacology: Ethnic and Cultural Perspectives,” in Psychiatry, 3rd ed., ed. A. Tasman et al. (Chichester, U.K.: John Wiley and Sons, 2008).et al., “
- 27President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology, “Priorities for Personalized Medicine,” September 2008, http://www.whitehouse.gov/files/documents/ostp/PCAST/pcast_report_v2.pdf.
- 29Collins, The Language of Life, 163.
- 30Harvey, “Genetics Risks and Healthy Choices.”
- 31Is Your DNA Dangerous to Your Health?” Huffington Post, June 18, 2010, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/thomas-goetz/dna-test-is-your-dna-dang_b_616568.html., “
- 35The ‘My-Health’ Revolution: Communication Challenges in the Age of Personalized Medicine,” Journal of Biolaw and Business 10, no. 2 (2007): 23–27, at 25.and , “
- 36The Genomics and Personalized Medicine Act Returns to Congress,” Genomics Law Report, August 24, 2010, http://www.genomicslawreport.com/index.php/2010/08/24/the-genomics-and-personalized-medicine-act-returns-to-congress/.and , “
- 37Personalized Medicine: Your 2011 Resolution,” Andrew's Blog, PatientPower.Info, January 3, 2011, http://blog.patientpower.info/2011/01/03/personalized-medicine-your-2011-resolution/., “