Peer leadership in the cocurriculum: Turning campus activities into an educationally purposeful enterprise
Article first published online: 19 MAR 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
New Directions for Higher Education
Special Issue: Peer Leadership in Higher Education
Volume 2012, Issue 157, pages 45–58, Spring 2012
How to Cite
Wooten, B. M., Hunt, J. S., LeDuc, B. F. and Poskus, P. (2012), Peer leadership in the cocurriculum: Turning campus activities into an educationally purposeful enterprise. New Directions for Higher Education, 2012: 45–58. doi: 10.1002/he.20005
- Issue published online: 19 MAR 2012
- Article first published online: 19 MAR 2012
- American College Personnel Association. 1996. The Student Learning Imperative: Implications for Student Affairs. Accessed July 23, 2011. http://www.acpa.nche.edu/sli/sli.htm.
- Association of American Colleges and Universities. 2009. College Learning for the New Global Century. Washington, DC: Association of American Colleges and Universities.
- Association of American Colleges and Universities. 2011. The LEAP Vision for Learning: Outcomes, Practices, Impact, and Employers' Views. Washington, DC: Association of American Colleges and Universities.
- 1977. Four Critical Years: Effects of College on Beliefs, Attitudes, and Knowledge. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- 1993. What Matters in College? Four Critical Years Revisited. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- 1999. “Student Involvement: A Developmental Theory for Higher Education.” Journal of College Student Development 40(5): 518–529.
- 1998. “How Undergraduates Are Affected by Service Participation.” Journal of College Student Development 39(3): 251–263. , and .
- 1992. Knowing and Reasoning in College: Gender-Related Patterns in Students' Intellectual Development. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- 1993. Applying the Seven Principles for Good Practice in Undergraduate Education. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. , and .
- Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher Education. 2008. Contextual Statement: Student and Development Outcomes. Accessed September 18, 2011. http://celect.org/uploads/files/0001/3285/CAS_outcomes_chart.08.pdf.
- 2010. “Peer Leadership: Definition, Description, and Classification.” E-Source for College Transitions 7(5): 3–5.
- 2007. Developing Leadership Capacity in College Students: Findings from a National Study. College Park: National Clearinghouse for Leadership Programs, University of Maryland. , and .
- 2010. Student Development in College: Theory, Research, and Practice. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. , , , and .
- 2008. “The Increasing Importance of Student Leadership Development Programs in Higher Education.” NASPA: Net Results. Accessed September 10, 2011. http://www.sjsu.edu/getinvolved/soal/org_advisors/dev_guides/Increasing_Importance_of_Student_Leadership_Development_Programs_in_Higher_Education.pdf. , and .
- 2011. “Peer Education in Student Leadership Programs: Responding to Cocurricular Challenges.” In Emerging Issues and Practices in Peer Education. New Directions for Student Services, no. 133, edited by L. B. Williams. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- 2010. 2009 Leaders IN Kennesaw (LINK) Comprehensive Evaluation. Center for Student Leadership Year End Report. Kennesaw, GA: Kennesaw State University.
- 2008. “Developing Citizens: The Impact of Civic Learning Opportunities on Students' Commitment to Civic Participation.” American Educational Research Journal 45(3): 738–766. , and .
- 2006. Learning Reconsidered 2: A Practical Guide to Implementing a Campus-Wide Focus on the Student Experience. Accessed June 13, 2011. http://www.myacpa.org/pub/documents/LearningReconsidered2.pdf. , ed.
- 1995. “The Other Curriculum: Out-of-Class Experiences Associated with Student Learning and Personal Growth.” Journal of Higher Education 66(2): 123–155.
- 1991. Involving Colleges: Successful Approaches to Fostering Student Learning and Development Outside the Classroom. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. , , , and Associates.
- 2006. What Matters to Student Success: A Review of the Literature. Executive Summary. Washington, DC: National Postsecondary Education Cooperative, National Center for Education Statistics, U.S. Department of Education. Accessed August 10, 2011. http://nces.ed.gov/npec/pdf/Kuh_Team_ExecSumm.pdf. , and others.
- 2006. Accountability in Higher Education. Berkeley: Center for Studies in Higher Education, University of California. Accessed August 1, 2011. http://www.cpec.ca.gov/CompleteReports/ExternalDocuments/Leveille_Accountability.20.06.pdf.
- 2006. “Student Organizations: What Are Students Learning from Their Experiences?” NASPA: Net Results. Accessed July 28, 2011. http://www.sjsu.edu/get involved/soal/org_advisors/dev_guides/Student_Organizations_What_are_Students_Learning_from_Their_Experiences.pdf.
- 1999. “Outside the Classroom: Student Perceptions of the Benefits of Service Learning.” Journal of Prevention and Intervention in the Community 18: 111–123. , and .
- National Association for Campus Activities. 2009. Competency Guide for College Student Leaders. Columbia, SC: National Association for Campus Activities. Accessed July 15, 2011. http://www.lonestar.edu/departments/studentactivities/Competency_Guide_for_College_Student_Leaders_Facilitators_Guide.pdf.
- 2011. “The West Virginia Experience: Creating a Sustainable Public Agenda for Higher Education.” National Crosstalk 19(1): 12–13.
- 2005. How College Affects Students: A Third Decade of Research. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. , and .
- 2010. “The Rising Demands on Higher Education.” Issues in Teaching and Learning 6. Accessed September 12, 2011. http://www.ric.edu/itl/volume_06_pitt.php.
- 2004. “Educating the Whole Student: The Growing Academic Importance of Student Affairs.” Change 36(3): 28–33.
- 1993. Leaving College: Rethinking the Causes and Cures of Student Attrition. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- 1999. “Taking Retention Seriously: Rethinking the First Year of College.” NACADA Journal 19(2): 5–10.
- 2008. Partnerships for Public Purposes: Engaging Higher Education in Societal Challenges of the 21st Century. San Jose, CA: National Center for Public and Higher Education. Accessed July 23, 2011. http://www.highereducation.org/reports/wegner/index.shtml.
- 2004. “Student Activities.” In Rentz's Student Affairs Practice in Higher Education, edited by F.J.D. Mackinnon and Associates. Springfield, IL: Charles C. Thomas Publisher. , and .
- 1998–1999. “Learning Outside the Box: Making Connections Between Cocurricular Activities and the Curriculum.” Essays on Teaching Excellence: Toward the Best in the Academy 10(5). Accessed September 12, 2011. http://www.podnetwork.org/publications/teachingexcellence/98-99/V10,%20N5%20Wilhite_Banset.pdf. , and .