Health service costs in Europe: cost and reimbursement of primary hip replacement in nine countries
Version of Record online: 9 JAN 2008
Copyright © 2008 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Special Issue: Analysing the variation of health care treatment costs in Europe
Supplement: Analysing the variation of health care treatment costs in Europe
Volume 17, Issue Supplement 1, pages S9–S20, January/February 2008
How to Cite
Stargardt, T. (2008), Health service costs in Europe: cost and reimbursement of primary hip replacement in nine countries. Health Econ., 17: S9–S20. doi: 10.1002/hec.1328
- Issue online: 9 JAN 2008
- Version of Record online: 9 JAN 2008
- European Commission within the Sixth Framework Research Programme. Grant Number: SP21-CT-2004-501588
- 2006. Determinants of variation in the cost of inpatient stays versus outpatient visits in hospitals: a multi-country analysis. Social Science & Medicine 63: 1700–1710. , .
- 2005. Hospital resource utilization for primary and revision total hip arthroplasty. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 87: 570–576. , , et al.
- 1987. The specification of a hospital cost function. Health Economics 6: 147–157. .
- 1998. The costs and benefits of primary total hip replacement. International Journal of Technology Assessment in Health Care 14: 743–761. , , et al.
- 2007. A comparison of total hip and knee replacement in speciality and general hospitals. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 89: 1675–1684. , , et al.
- 2006. Indication for total hip replacement: comparison of assessments of orthopaedic surgeons and referring physicians. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases 65: 1346–1350. , , et al.
- 2006. Does cement increase the risk of infection in primary hip arthroplasty? Acta Orthopaedica 77: 351–358. , , et al.
- 1998. Effectiveness of hip prostheses in primary total hip replacement: critical review of evidence and an economic model. Health Technology Assessment 2: 1–133. , , et al.
- 1995. Evaluation of new technologies for total hip replacement. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 77: 528–533. , , .
- 2005. Using multilevel models for assessing the variability of multinational resource use and cost data. Health Economics 14: 185–196. , , et al.
- 2001. Displaced femoral neck fractures in the elderly. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 383: 229–242. , , et al.
- 2006. The total costs of a displaced femoral neck fracture: comparison of internal fixation and total hip replacement. International Orthopaedics 30: 1–6. , , et al.
- 2006. Osteoarthritis: rational approach to treating the individual. Best Practice & Research in Clinical Rheumatology 20: 721–740. , , .
- 2006. The definition of prices for inpatient care in Poland in the absence of cost data. Health Care Management Science 9: 281–286. , , et al.
- 1994. Costs of elective total hip arthroplasty during the first year. The Journal of Arthroplasty 9: 481–487. , , et al.
- 1998. Early inpatient rehabilitation after elective hip and knee arthroplasty. The Journal of the American Medical Association 279: 847–852. , , et al.
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. 2000. Guidance on the Selection of Prostheses for Primary Total Hip Replacement. National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence.
- 2005. Cemented or uncemented femoral component in primary total hip replacement? A review from a clinical and radiological perspective. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery 13: 96–105. , , et al.
- 2002. Age and waiting time as predictors of outcome after total hip replacement for osteoarthritis. Rheumatology 41: 1261–1267. , .
- 2001. Clinical assessment of the osteoarthritis. Best Practice & Research in Clinical Rheumatology 15: 527–544. , , .
- 2006. Cost accounting and public reimbursement schemes in Spanish hospitals. Health Care Management Science 9: 225–232. , , et al.
- 2006. Methods to determine reimbursement rates for diagnosis related groups (DRG): a comparison of nine European countries. Health Care Management Science 9: 215–224. , , , .
- 2003. Explaining waiting times variations for elective surgery across OECD countries. OECD Health Working Papers, vol. 7. , .
- 1998. Using SAS PROC MIXED to fit multilevel models, hierarchical models, and individual growth models. Journal of Educational and Behavioral Statistics 24: 323–355. .
- 1997. Long-term results of total hip replacement in young patients who had Ankylosing spondylitis. Eighteen to thirty-year results with survivorship analysis. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 79: 1181–1189. , .
- 2006. Applied Multilevel Analysis. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK. .
- 2006. Seasonality of service provision in hip and knee surgery: a possible contributor to waiting times? A time series analysis. BMC Health Services Research 22: 1–5. , , et al.
- 1987. On the estimation of hospital cost functions. Health Economics 6: 305–318. .
- World Health Organization. 2007. European Health for all Database. World Health Organization.