BEWARE OF BEING UNAWARE: RACIAL/ETHNIC DISPARITIES IN CHRONIC ILLNESS IN THE USA
Article first published online: 5 JUL 2012
Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume 21, Issue 9, pages 1040–1060, September 2012
How to Cite
Chatterji, P., Joo, H. and Lahiri, K. (2012), BEWARE OF BEING UNAWARE: RACIAL/ETHNIC DISPARITIES IN CHRONIC ILLNESS IN THE USA. Health Econ., 21: 1040–1060. doi: 10.1002/hec.2856
- Issue published online: 2 AUG 2012
- Article first published online: 5 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 27 APR 2012
- Manuscript Received: 7 OCT 2011
- National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities, National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: 1 P20 MD003373
- National Institute on Aging. Grant Number: NIA U01AG009740
- 2010. Education, knowledge and the evolution of disparities in health. Working Paper 15840, National Bureau of Economic Research: Cambridge. , .
- 2002. Inequalities in use of specialty mental health services among Latinos, African Americans, and non-Latino whites. Psychiatric Services 53(12): 1547–1555. et al.
- 2008. Prevalence, awareness, treatment, and predictors of control of hypertension in New York City. Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes 1: 46–53. (Available from: http://circoutcomes.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/1/1/46 [Accessed 24/02/2010]) et al.
- 2003. Prejudice, clinical uncertainty and stereotyping as sources of health disparities. Journal of Health Economics 22: 89–116. , .
- 2005. Testing for statistical discrimination in health care. Health Services Research 40(1): 227–252. , , .
- 2007. Utility of A1C for diabetes screening in the 1999–2004 NHANES Population. Diabetes Care 30(9): 2233–2235. , , .
- 2006. Calculation of multivariate normal probabilities by simulation, with applications to maximum simulated likelihood estimation. The Stata Journal 6(2): 156–189. , .
- 2004. Geography and Racial Health Disparities @ Critical Perspectives on Racial and Ethnic Differences in Health in Late Life. National Academy Press: Washington DC; 604–640. , .
- 2010. Beware of unawareness: racial/ethnic disparities in awareness of chronic disease. Working Paper 16578, National Bureau of Economic Research: Cambridge. , , .
- 2003. The seventh report of the joint national committee on prevention, detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood pressure (JNC 7). Hypertension 42: 1206–1252. (Available from: http://hyper.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/42/6/1206 [Accessed 22/11/2010]) et al.
- 2010. Understanding differences in health behaviors by education. Journal of Health Economics 29: 1–28. , .
- 2009. Diabetes prevalence and diagnosis in US states: analysis of health surveys. Population Health Metrics 7(16). (Available from: http://www.pophealthmetrics.com/content/7/1/16 [Accessed 01/03/2010]) et al.
- 2008. Value of risk stratification to increase the predictive validity of HbA1C in screening for undiagnosed diabetes in the US population. Journal of General Internal Medicine 23(9): 1346–1353. et al.
- 2005. A theory of health disparities and medical technology. Contributions to Economic Analysis & Policy 4(1): Article 8. (Available from: http://www.bepress.com/bejeap/contributions/vol4/iss1/art8 [Accessed 29/09/2010]) , .
- Health and Retirement Study, 2006 Biomarker data. 2006. Produced and distributed by the University of Michigan with funding from the National Institute on Aging (grant number NIA U01AG009740). Ann Arbor, MI.
- 2005. Racial disparities in hypertension prevalence, awareness, and management. Archives of Internal Medicine 165: 2098–2104. et al.
- 2006. Racial and geographic differences in awareness, treatment, and control of hypertension: the reasons for geographic and racial differences in stroke study. Stroke 37(5): 1171–1178. (Available from: http://stroke.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/37/5/1171 [Accessed 28/04/2010]) et al.
- 2009. Comparing subjective and objective measures of health: evidence from hypertension for the income/health gradient. Journal of Health Economics 28: 540–552. , , .
- 2007. Applied Econometrics for Health Economists: a Practical Guide (2nd edn). Radcliffe Publishing Ltd.: Abingdon, UK. .
- 1982. Testing for dependence in multivariate probit models. Biometrika 69(1): 161–166. .
- 2010. Comparing methods of racial and ethnic disparities measurement across different settings of mental health care. Health Services Research 45(3): 825–847. et al.
- 2007. Understanding social disparities in hypertension prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control: the role of neighborhood context. Social Science & Medicine 65: 1853–1866. et al.
- National Healthcare Disparities Report (NHDR). 2003. Full Report. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. (Available from: http://www.ahrq.gov/qual/nhdr05/index/html [Accessed 19/11/2010])
- 2007. Prevalence, awareness, treatment and control of hypertension among United States adults 1999–2004. Hypertension 49: 69–75. (Available from: http://hyper.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/49/1/69 [Accessed 27/04/2010]) et al.
- 2009. Undiagnosed diabetes – data from the English longitudinal study of ageing. Diabetic Medicine 26:679–685. et al.
- 2006. Improvement in hypertension management in England: results from the Health Survey for England 2003. Journal of Hypertension 24(6): 1187–1192. , .