SOCIETAL VIEWS ON NICE, CANCER DRUGS FUND AND VALUE-BASED PRICING CRITERIA FOR PRIORITISING MEDICINES: A CROSS-SECTIONAL SURVEY OF 4118 ADULTS IN GREAT BRITAIN
Version of Record online: 7 SEP 2012
Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume 22, Issue 8, pages 948–964, August 2013
How to Cite
Linley, W. G. and Hughes, D. A. (2013), SOCIETAL VIEWS ON NICE, CANCER DRUGS FUND AND VALUE-BASED PRICING CRITERIA FOR PRIORITISING MEDICINES: A CROSS-SECTIONAL SURVEY OF 4118 ADULTS IN GREAT BRITAIN. Health Econ., 22: 948–964. doi: 10.1002/hec.2872
- Issue online: 8 JUL 2013
- Version of Record online: 7 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 17 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Received: 30 NOV 2011
- All Wales Medicines Strategy Group. 2011. AWMSG policy relating to ultra-orphan medicines. Available: http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sites3/Documents/371/AWMSG%20policy%20relating%20to%20Ultra-orphan%20Medicines%20Sep%2011.pdf [09 May 2012].
- 2011. What values do the public want their health care systems to use in evaluating technologies? (Editorial). European Journal of Health Economics 12: 285–288. , .
- 2011. Cancer survival in Australia, Canada, Denmark, Norway, Sweden and the UK, 1995 – 2007 (The International Cancer Benchmarking Partnership): an analysis of population-based cancer registry data. Lancet 377: 127–138. , , , et al.
- Department of Health. 2009. NHS Chief Executive's Annual Report for 2008–09, May 2009. Available at: http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/documents/digitalasset/dh_099700.pdf [15 July 2012].
- Department of Health. 2010a. The NHS Constitution for England. Available: http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_113613 [09 May 2012].
- Department of Health. 2010b. Impact assessment of a proposal for a Cancer Drugs Fund. Available: http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/@dh/@en/documents/digitalasset/dh_120930.pdf [09 May 2012].
- Department of Health. 2010c. Value-based pricing impact assessment. Available: http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/@dh/@en/documents/digitalasset/dh_122823.pdf [09 May 2012].
- Department of Health. 2010d. A new value-based approach to the pricing of branded medicines: a consultation. Available: http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Consultations/Closedconsultations/DH_122760 [09 May 2012].
- Department of Health. 2010e. The Cancer Drugs Fund: a consultation. Available: http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/@dh/@en/documents/digitalasset/dh_120931.pdf [09 May 2012].
- Department of Health. 2011. A new value-based approach to the pricing of branded medicines – Government response to consultation. Available: http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/documents/digitalasset/dh_128404.pdf [09 May 2012].
- 2010. Societal views on orphan drugs: cross sectional survey of Norwegians aged 40 to 67. British Medical Journal 341: c4715. , , , , .
- 2007. The elicitation of distributional judgements in the context of economic evaluation. In: The Elgar companion to Health Economics, Jones AM (ed). Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd, UK: Cheltenham, 382–391. , .
- 2005. QALY maximisation and people's preferences: a review of the literature. Health Economics 14: 197–208. , , , .
- 2000. Regulation (EC) No 141/2000 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 16 December 1999 on Orphan Medicinal Products. Official Journal of the European Communities. Available: http://ec.europa.eu/health/files/eudralex/vol-1/reg_2000_141/reg_2000_141_en.pdf [09 May 2012]. , .
- 2011. How to improve cancer survival: explaining England's relatively poor rates. The King's Fund. Available: http://www.kingsfund.org.uk/publications/cancer_survival.html [09 May 2012]. , .
- 2010. Are incremental benefits from new technology decreasing? An analysis of QALY gains over time. Proceedings of the 13th Biennial Society for Medical Decision Making European Meeting; Austria [abstract No.1]. , , .
- 2011. Value-based pricing: incentive for innovation or zero net benefit? PharmacoEconomics 29: 731–735. .
- 2011. Ring-fencing a budget for cancer drugs: is it fair? Against. Journal of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh 41: 226–228. , .
- Institute for Fiscal Studies/Nuffield Trust. 2012. NHS and social care funding: the outlook to 2021/22. Available: http://www.nuffieldtrust.org.uk/sites/files/nuffield/publication/120704_nhs-social-care-funding-outlook-2021-22_0.pdf [15 July 2012].
- 2012. Response rates and nonresponse errors in surveys. JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association 307: 1805–1806. , .
- 1999. UK population norms for EQ-5D. Discussion Paper 172, University of York Centre for Health Economics. Available: http://www.york.ac.uk/media/che/documents/papers/discussionpapers/CHE%20Discussion%20Paper%20172.pdf [09 May 2012]. , , .
- 2012. Reimbursement decisions of the All Wales Medicines Strategy Group: influence of policy and clinical and economic factors. Pharmacoeconomics 2012 Jun 7. doi: 10.2165/11591530-000000000-00000. [Epub ahead of print] . , .
- 2010. Comparison of anticancer drug coverage decisions in the United States and the United Kingdom: does the evidence support the rhetoric? Journal of Clinical Oncology 28: 3234–3238. , , , et al.
- 2005. Orphan drugs and the NHS: should we value rarity. British Medical Journal 331: 1016–1019. , , .
- 2001. Design and use of questionnaires: a review of best practice applicable to surveys of health service staff and patients. Health Technology Assessment 5 (31): 1–256. , , , et al.
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. 2008a. Guide to the methods of technology appraisal. Available: http://www.nice.org.uk/media/B52/A7/TAMethodsGuideUpdatedJune2008.pdf [09 May 2012].
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. 2008b. Social value judgements: principles for the development of NICE guidance, 2nd Ed. Available: http://www.nice.org.uk/media/C18/30/SVJ2PUBLICATION2008.pdf [09 May 2012].
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. 2008c. Report on NICE Citizens Council meeting: departing from the threshold. Available: http://www.nice.org.uk/media/231/CB/NICECitizensCouncilDepartingThresholdFinal.pdf [09 May 2012].
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. 2009. Supplementary advice to the appraisal committees: appraising life-extending, end of life medicines. Available: http://www.nice.org.uk/media/E4A/79/SupplementaryAdviceTACEoL.pdf [09 May 2012].
- National Readership Survey. 2010. NRS 2010 lifestyle data. Available: http://www.nrs.co.uk/lifestyle.html [09 May 2012].
- NHS Specialised Services. 2011. National specialised commissioning priorities 2011/12. Available: http://www.specialisedservices.nhs.uk/library/21/National_Specialised_Commissioning_Priorities_201112.pdf [09 May 2012].
- Office for National Statistics. 2009. General lifestyle survey 2009. Available: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/ghs/general-lifestyle-survey/2009-report/index.html [09 May 2012].
- Office for National Statistics. 2010. Nomis official labour force statistics: headline indicators 2011/12. Available: http://www.nomisweb.co.uk/tml/templates/data/LFS%20headline%20indicators.xls [09 May 2012]
- Office for National Statistics. 2011. Mid-2010 population estimates for adults aged 16 years and over. Available: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/pop-estimate/population-estimates-for-uk--england-and-wales--scotland-and-northern-ireland/mid-2010-population-estimates/rft---mid-2010-population-estimates.zip [09 May 2012].
- 2010. Pharmacoeconomics: NICE's approach to decision-making. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 70: 346–349. , , .
- 2008. Improving access to medicines for NHS patients: a report for the Secretary of State for Health by Professor Mike Richards CBE. Available: http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/@dh/@en/documents/digitalasset/dh_089952.pdf [09 May 2012]. .
- Scottish Medicines Consortium. 2010. SMC modifiers used in appraising new medicines. Available: http://www.scottishmedicines.org.uk/About_SMC/Policy_Statements/SMC_Modifiers_used_in_Appraising_New_Medicines [09 May 2012].
- 2009. Severity of illness and priority setting in healthcare: a review of the literature. Health Policy 93: 77–84. .
- 2008. Health state utilities: a framework for studying the gap between the imagined and the real. Value in Health 11: 76–87. , .
- 2009 How much good do new medicines do? Basic & Clinical Pharmacology & Toxicology 105 (Suppl 1): O29. , , , et al.
- 2011. Value-based pricing: NICE work? Lancet 377: 1552–1553. .