THE DEMAND FOR PREVENTIVE AND RESTORATIVE DENTAL SERVICES
Article first published online: 24 JAN 2013
Copyright © 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume 23, Issue 1, pages 14–32, January 2014
How to Cite
Meyerhoefer, C. D., Zuvekas, S. H. and Manski, R. (2014), THE DEMAND FOR PREVENTIVE AND RESTORATIVE DENTAL SERVICES. Health Econ., 23: 14–32. doi: 10.1002/hec.2899
- Issue published online: 16 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 24 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 2 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 15 FEB 2012
- Chesapeake IRB. Grant Number: CRRI 0504015
- American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry. 2009. Guideline on Periodicity of Examination, Preventive Dental Services, Anticipatory Guidance/Counseling, and Oral Treatment for Infants, Children, and Adolescents. AAPD Reference Manual V. 33. No. 6.
- American Academy of Pediatrics. 2003. Oral health risk assessment timing and establishment of the dental home. Pediatrics 111: 1113–1116.
- 2004. Dental services: use, expenses, and sources of payment, 1996–2000. Rockville (MD): Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. MEPS Research Findings No. 20. AHRQ Pub. No. 04–0018. , .
- 2004. Too much ado about two-part models and transformation? Comparing methods of modeling Medicare expenditures. Journal of Health Economics 23(3): 525–42. , .
- 1980. Analysis of covariance with qualitative data. Review of Economic Studies 47: 225–238. .
- 2011. Impact of chronic condition status and severity on the time to first dental visit for newly Medicaid-enrolled children in Iowa. Health Services Research 46(2): 572–594. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. The impact of Medicaid insurance coverage on dental service use. Journal of Health Economics 30: 1020–1031. .
- 2007. The dental care of U.S. children-access, use and referrals by nondentist providers, 2003. Journal of the American Dental Association (1939) 138: 1324–1331. , , , .
- 2011. Medicaid payment levels to dentists and access to dental care among children and adolescents. Journal of the American Medical Association 396(2): 187–193. .
- Deloitte Consulting. 2010. Applying health reform to dental and vision benefits. Health Reform Issue Brief #20. Available at http://www.deloitte.com/us/employerhealthreform.
- 2004. A practical guide to infant oral health. American Family Physician 70: 2113–2122. , , .
- 1982. The demand for dental health. Social Science & Medicine 16(13): 1285–9. , , .
- Institute of Medicine (IOM). 2011. Essential Health Benefits: Balancing Coverage and Costs. Committee of Revising and an Essential Health Benefits Package for Qualified Plans. National Academies Press: Washington, D.C.
- Kaiser Family Foundation. 2011. Summary of coverage provisions in the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. Available at http://www.kff.org/healthreform/upload/8023-R.pdf.
- 1977. Deductibles and the demand for medical care services: the theory of a consumer facing a variable price schedule under uncertainty. Econometrica 45: 641–655. , , .
- 2001. Estimating log models: to transform or not to transform? Journal of Health Economics 20(4): 461–94. , .
- 1986. The Demand for Dental Care Evidence from a Randomized Trial in Health Insurance. RAND Report R-3225-HHS. , , , .
- 2007. Dental use, expenses, private dental coverage, and changes, 1996 and 2004. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. Available at: http://www.meps.ahrq.gov/data_files/publications/cb17/cb17.shtml. , .
- 2007. Dental care use: does dental insurance truly make a difference in the US? Community Dental Health 24(4): 205–12. , .
- 2008. The shape of demand: what does it tell us about direct-to-consumer marketing of antidepressants? The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis and Policy 8(2) (Advances), Article 4. , .
- 2010. New estimates of the demand for physical and mental health treatment. Health Economics 19(3): 297–315. , .
- 2005. Consistent estimation of censored demand systems using panel data. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 87: 660–672.Direct Link:, , .
- 2010. Is Preventive Dental Care a Good Investment for the Medicare Population, A Preliminary Analysis? American Journal of Public Health 100(11): 2262–2269. , , .
- 1988. Insurance coverage and the demand for dental care. Results for non-aged white adults. Journal of Health Economics 7(1): 59–72. , .
- 2009. A bayesian analysis of the OPES model with a non-parametric component: application to dental insurance and dental care. Advances in Econometrics, Volume 23: Bayesian Econometrics. , .
- National Association of Dental Plans. 2008. 2008 NADP Dental Benefits Report: Premium Trends. National Association of Dental Plans: Dallas, TX.
- 1980. On having your cake and eating it too: econometric problems in estimating the demand for health services. Journal of Econometrics 13: 365–390. , , .
- 2005. The impact of an innovative reform to the South Carolina dental Medicaid system. Health Services Research 40(4): 1078–1090. , , .
- U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. 1996. Guide to Clinical Preventive Services. Williams and Wilkins: Baltimore, MD.
- USDHHS. 2000. Oral Health in America: A Report of the Surgeon General. US Department of Health and Human Services, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institute of Health: Rockville, MD.
- 2007. Effects of the State Children's Health Insurance Program on access to dental care and use of dental services. Health Services Research 42(4): 1544–1562. , , .
- 2000. A Note on Robust Variance Estimation for Cluster-Correlated Data. Biometrics 56(2): 645–646. .