Funding sources: The work was funded by a UK MRC project grant on Disease Modelling (Grant ID: 87386)
THE EFFECT OF DIABETES COMPLICATIONS ON HEALTH-RELATED QUALITY OF LIFE: THE IMPORTANCE OF LONGITUDINAL DATA TO ADDRESS PATIENT HETEROGENEITY
Article first published online: 11 JUL 2013
Copyright © 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume 23, Issue 4, pages 487–500, April 2014
How to Cite
Alva, M., Gray, A., Mihaylova, B. and Clarke, P. (2014), THE EFFECT OF DIABETES COMPLICATIONS ON HEALTH-RELATED QUALITY OF LIFE: THE IMPORTANCE OF LONGITUDINAL DATA TO ADDRESS PATIENT HETEROGENEITY. Health Econ., 23: 487–500. doi: 10.1002/hec.2930
Disclosure: None of the authors of this paper has a conflict of interest that might prejudice the results.
- Issue published online: 4 MAR 2014
- Article first published online: 11 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 6 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 1 FEB 2012
- UK Medical Research Council. Grant Number: 87386
- 2005) Modelling EuroQol health-related utility values for diabetic complications from CODE-2 data. Health Economics, 14, 217–230. & . (
- 1999) Utility values and diabetic retinopathy. American Journal of Ophthalmology, 128, 324–30. , , & . (
- 2002) Estimating utility values for health states of type 2 diabetic patients using the EQ-5D (UKPDS 62). Medical Decision Making, 22, 340–349. , & . (
- 2006) Assessing the Impact of Visual Acuity on Quality of Life in Individuals With Type 2 Diabetes Using the Short Form-36. Diabetes Care, 29, 1506–1511. , , & . (
- Department of Health (1998) Health Survey for England 1996, London, The Stationery Office.
- 1996) The time trade-off method: results from a general population study. Health Economics, 5, 141–154. , , & . (
- EUROQOL Group (1990) EuroQol - a new facility for the measurement of health-related quality of life. Health Policy, 16, 199–208.
- 2007) Which health-related quality of life score? A comparison of alternative utility measures in patients with Type 2 diabetes in the ADVANCE trial. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, 5, 21. , , & . (
- 1978) Specification Tests in Econometrics. Econometrica, 46, 1251–1271. . (
- 1979) Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error. Econometrica, 47, 153–161. . (
- 2008a) 10-year follow-up of intensive glucose control in type 2 diabetes. The New England Journal of Medicine, 359, 1577–89. , , , & . (
- 2008b) Long-term follow-up after tight control of blood pressure in type 2 diabetes. The New England Journal of Medicine, 359, 1565–76. , , , & . (
- 2007) Patient perceptions of quality of life with diabetes-related complications and treatments. Diabetes Care, 30, 2478–83. , , , & . (
- 2005) The economic and quality of life impact of hypoglycemia. The European Journal of Health Economics, 6, 197–202. , , & . (
- 2011) A meta-analysis of health state valuations for people with diabetes: explaining the variation across methods and implications for economic evaluation. Quality of Life Research, 20, 1669–78. , , , & . (
- 2003) Interpretation of changes in health-related quality of life - The remarkable universality of half a standard deviation. Medical Care, 41, 582–592. , & . (
- 2011) Estimation of the impact of diabetes-related complications on health utilities for patients with type 2 diabetes in Ontario, Canada. Quality of Life Research, 20, 939–43. , , , , , , , & . (
- 2002) Health-related quality of life and treatment satisfaction in Dutch patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care, 25, 458–63. , , , , & (
- 2010) xtoverid: Stata module to calculate tests of overidentifying restrictions after xtreg, xtivreg, xtivreg2 and xthtaylor. & . (
- 2003) Utilities associated with diabetic retinopathy: results from a Canadian sample. British Journal of Ophthalmology, 87, 259–61. , , , , & . (
- UKPDS Group (1991) UK Prospective Diabetes Study VIII: study design, progress and performance. Diabetologia, 34, 877–890.
- UKPDS Group (1998a) UKPDS 33: Intensive blood-glucose control with sulphonylureas or insulin compared with conventional treatment and risk of complications in patients with type 2 diabetes. UK Prospective Diabetes Study (UKPDS) Group. Lancet, 352, 837–853.
- UKPDS Group (1998b) UKPDS 34: Effect of intensive blood-glucose control with metformin on complications in overweight patients with type 2 diabetes. UK Prospective Diabetes Study (UKPDS) Group. Lancet, 352, 854–865.
- 2005) Comparison of the minimally important difference for two health state utility measures: EQ-5D and SF-6D. Quality of Life Research, 14, 1523–1532. & . (
- 1995) Selection corrections for panel data models under conditional mean independence assumptions. Journal of Econometrics, 68, 115–132. . (
- 2010) Econometric analysis of cross section and panel data, Cambridge, Mass.; London, MIT. . (