Funding sources: The work was funded by a UK MRC project grant on Disease Modelling (Grant ID: 87386)
THE EFFECT OF DIABETES COMPLICATIONS ON HEALTH-RELATED QUALITY OF LIFE: THE IMPORTANCE OF LONGITUDINAL DATA TO ADDRESS PATIENT HETEROGENEITY
Version of Record online: 11 JUL 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Health Economics Published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 23, Issue 4, pages 487–500, April 2014
How to Cite
Alva, M., Gray, A., Mihaylova, B. and Clarke, P. (2014), THE EFFECT OF DIABETES COMPLICATIONS ON HEALTH-RELATED QUALITY OF LIFE: THE IMPORTANCE OF LONGITUDINAL DATA TO ADDRESS PATIENT HETEROGENEITY. Health Econ., 23: 487–500. doi: 10.1002/hec.2930
Disclosure: None of the authors of this paper has a conflict of interest that might prejudice the results.
The copyright line for this article was changed on 5 August 2015 after original online publication.
- Issue online: 4 MAR 2014
- Version of Record online: 11 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 6 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 1 FEB 2012
- UK Medical Research Council. Grant Number: 87386
- 2005) Modelling EuroQol health-related utility values for diabetic complications from CODE-2 data. Health Economics, 14, 217–230. & . (
- 1999) Utility values and diabetic retinopathy. American Journal of Ophthalmology, 128, 324–30. , , & . (
- 2002) Estimating utility values for health states of type 2 diabetic patients using the EQ-5D (UKPDS 62). Medical Decision Making, 22, 340–349. , & . (
- 2006) Assessing the Impact of Visual Acuity on Quality of Life in Individuals With Type 2 Diabetes Using the Short Form-36. Diabetes Care, 29, 1506–1511. , , & . (
- Department of Health (1998) Health Survey for England 1996, London, The Stationery Office.
- 1996) The time trade-off method: results from a general population study. Health Economics, 5, 141–154. , , & . (
- EUROQOL Group (1990) EuroQol - a new facility for the measurement of health-related quality of life. Health Policy, 16, 199–208.
- 2007) Which health-related quality of life score? A comparison of alternative utility measures in patients with Type 2 diabetes in the ADVANCE trial. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, 5, 21. , , & . (
- 1978) Specification Tests in Econometrics. Econometrica, 46, 1251–1271. . (
- 1979) Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error. Econometrica, 47, 153–161. . (
- 2008a) 10-year follow-up of intensive glucose control in type 2 diabetes. The New England Journal of Medicine, 359, 1577–89. , , , & . (
- 2008b) Long-term follow-up after tight control of blood pressure in type 2 diabetes. The New England Journal of Medicine, 359, 1565–76. , , , & . (
- 2007) Patient perceptions of quality of life with diabetes-related complications and treatments. Diabetes Care, 30, 2478–83. , , , & . (
- 2005) The economic and quality of life impact of hypoglycemia. The European Journal of Health Economics, 6, 197–202. , , & . (
- 2011) A meta-analysis of health state valuations for people with diabetes: explaining the variation across methods and implications for economic evaluation. Quality of Life Research, 20, 1669–78. , , , & . (
- 2003) Interpretation of changes in health-related quality of life - The remarkable universality of half a standard deviation. Medical Care, 41, 582–592. , & . (
- 2011) Estimation of the impact of diabetes-related complications on health utilities for patients with type 2 diabetes in Ontario, Canada. Quality of Life Research, 20, 939–43. , , , , , , , & . (
- 2002) Health-related quality of life and treatment satisfaction in Dutch patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care, 25, 458–63. , , , , & (
- 2010) xtoverid: Stata module to calculate tests of overidentifying restrictions after xtreg, xtivreg, xtivreg2 and xthtaylor. & . (
- 2003) Utilities associated with diabetic retinopathy: results from a Canadian sample. British Journal of Ophthalmology, 87, 259–61. , , , , & . (
- UKPDS Group (1991) UK Prospective Diabetes Study VIII: study design, progress and performance. Diabetologia, 34, 877–890.
- UKPDS Group (1998a) UKPDS 33: Intensive blood-glucose control with sulphonylureas or insulin compared with conventional treatment and risk of complications in patients with type 2 diabetes. UK Prospective Diabetes Study (UKPDS) Group. Lancet, 352, 837–853.
- UKPDS Group (1998b) UKPDS 34: Effect of intensive blood-glucose control with metformin on complications in overweight patients with type 2 diabetes. UK Prospective Diabetes Study (UKPDS) Group. Lancet, 352, 854–865.
- 2005) Comparison of the minimally important difference for two health state utility measures: EQ-5D and SF-6D. Quality of Life Research, 14, 1523–1532. & . (
- 1995) Selection corrections for panel data models under conditional mean independence assumptions. Journal of Econometrics, 68, 115–132. . (
- 2010) Econometric analysis of cross section and panel data, Cambridge, Mass.; London, MIT. . (