THE COST-EFFECTIVENESS OF USING FINANCIAL INCENTIVES TO IMPROVE PROVIDER QUALITY: A FRAMEWORK AND APPLICATION
Article first published online: 14 AUG 2013
Copyright © 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume 23, Issue 1, pages 1–13, January 2014
How to Cite
Meacock, R., Kristensen, S. R. and Sutton, M. (2014), THE COST-EFFECTIVENESS OF USING FINANCIAL INCENTIVES TO IMPROVE PROVIDER QUALITY: A FRAMEWORK AND APPLICATION. Health Econ., 23: 1–13. doi: 10.1002/hec.2978
- Issue published online: 16 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 14 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 16 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 22 FEB 2013
- 2008. A randomized trial of a pay-for-performance program targeting clinician referral to a state tobacco quitline. Archives of Internal Medicine 168: 1993–1999. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Estimating costs of quality improvement for outpatient healthcare organisations: a practical methodology. Quality & Safety in Health Care 16: 248–251. , , .
- 2006. Return on investment in pay for performance: a diabetes case study. Journal of Healthcare Management 51: 365–376. , , , , .
- Department of Health. 2008. Using the Commissioning for Quality and Innovation (CQUIN) payment framework.
- 1996. Guidelines for authors and peer reviewers of economic submissions to the BMJ. BMJ 313: 275–283. , .
- 2005. Methods for the Economic Evaluation of Health Care Programmes. Oxford University Press: Oxford. , , , , .
- 2012. Economic evaluation of pay-for-performance in health care: a systematic review. The European Journal of Health Economics 13: 755–767. , , , , .
- 2009. Pay for performance: an overview of the literature. American Journal of Medical Quality 24: 140–163. , .
- 1991. Multitask principal-agent analyses: incentive contracts, asset ownership, and job design. Journal of Law, Economics, & Organization 7: 24–52. , .
- 2011. Multi-tasking, quality and pay for performance. Health Economics 20: 225–238. , .
- 2006. Snapshot of hospital quality reporting and pay-for-performance under medicare. Health Affairs 25: 148–162. , , , , .
- 2009. Performance improvement and performance dysfunction: an empirical examination of impacts of the emergency room wait-time target in the English National Health Service. Journal of Public Administration, Research and Theory 19: 917–946. , .
- 1998. Performance-based physician reimbursement and influenza immunization rates in the elderly. The Primary-Care Physicians of Monroe County. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 14: 89–95. , , , , , .
- 2010. A pay-for-performance program for diabetes care in Taiwan: a preliminary assessment. The American Journal of Managed Care 16: 65–9. , , , .
- 2010. The impact of removing financial incentives from clinical quality indicators: longitudinal analysis of four Kaiser Permanente indicators. BMJ 340: c1898. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. The GMS Quality and Outcomes Framework: Are the Quality and Outcomes Framework (QOF) indicators a cost-effective use of NHS resources? Joint Executive Summary: Reports to the Department of Health from the University of East Anglia & the University of York. , , , , , .
- 2012. The powers and pitfalls of payment for performance. Health Economics 21: 3–12. .
- 2009. Pay for performance in the hospital setting: What is the state of the evidence? American Journal of Medical Quality 24: 19–28. , , , .
- 2006. Cost-effectiveness of hospital pay-for-performance incentives. Medical Care Research and Review 63: 49S–72S. , , , , .
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE). 2013. Guide to the methods of technology appraisal [Online]. Available: http://publications.nice.org.uk/guide-to-the-methods-of-technology-appraisal-2013-pmg9/the-reference-case [Accessed 17.07.2013].
- 1992. Incentive regulation of nursing homes. Journal of Health Economics 11: 105–128. .
- Office for National Statistics. 2011. England, Interim Life Tables, 1980-82 to 2008-10 [Online]. Available: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/lifetables/interim-life-tables/2008-2010/rft-ilt-eng-2008-10.xls [Accessed on 17.07.2013].
- 2007. Impact of a pay-for-performance intervention: financial analysis of a pilot program implementation and implications for ophthalmology (an American Ophthalmological Society thesis). Transactions of the American Ophthalmological Society 105: 448–60. .
- 2009. Impact of financial incentives for prenatal care on birth outcomes and spending. Health Services Research 44: 1465–1479. , , , .
- 2009. Effects of the premier hospital quality incentive demonstration on medicare patient mortality and cost. Health Services Research 44: 821–842. .
- 2009. Cost-effective primary care-based strategies to improve smoking cessation: more value for money. Archives of Internal Medicine 169: 230–235. , , , , , .
- 2011. The effect of financial incentives on the quality of health care provided by primary care physicians. Cochrance Database of Systematic Reviews 9: CD008451. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Record rewards: the effects of targeted quality incentives on the recording of risk factors by primary care providers. Health Economics 19: 1–13. , , , .
- 2012. Reduced mortality with hospital pay for performance in England. The New England Journal of Medicine 367: 1821–1828. , , , , , .
- 2010. Value for money and the Quality and Outcomes Framework in primary care in the UK NHS. British Journal of General Practice 60: e213–20. , , , , , , .