EFFECTS OF BICYCLE HELMET LAWS ON CHILDREN'S INJURIES
Version of Record online: 30 SEP 2013
Copyright © 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume 24, Issue 1, pages 26–40, January 2015
How to Cite
2015), EFFECTS OF BICYCLE HELMET LAWS ON CHILDREN'S INJURIES, Health Econ., 24, 26–40, doi: 10.1002/hec.2997, and (
- Issue online: 8 DEC 2014
- Version of Record online: 30 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 6 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 22 MAY 2013
- 2001. Bicycle helmet efficacy: a meta-analysis. Accident Analysis and Prevention 33: 345–352. , , .
- 2004. How much should we trust differences-in-differences estimates? Quarterly Journal of Economics 119: 249–275. , , .
- Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute. Helmet laws for bicycle riders. Available from: http://www.helmets.org/mandator.htm (Accessed 6/10/08).
- 2005. Microeconometrics: Methods and Applications. Cambridge University Press: New York. , .
- 2011. Intended and Unintended Consequences of Youth Bicycle Helmet Laws. Journal of Law and Economics 54(2): 305–324. , .
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 1995. Injury-control recommendations: bicycle helmets. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 44(RR-1); 1–17.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2012a. National Center for Health Statistics. Underlying Cause of Death 1999-2009 on CDC WONDER Online Database, released 2012.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2012b. Nonfatal Injury Data on WISQARS. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/nonfatal.html
- Consumer Product Safety Commission. 1999. National Bike Helmet Use Survey, April.
- Consumer Product Safety Commission, Division of Hazard and Injury Data Systems. 2000. NEISS The National Electronic Injury Surveillance System: A Tool for Researchers, March.
- Consumer Product Safety Commission, Division of Hazard and Injury Data Systems. 2013. NEISS Codebook.
- 2005. The Cochrane Collaboration and bicycle helmets. Accident Analysis and Prevention 37: 569–573. .
- 2004. The effect of bicycle helmet legislation on bicycling fatalities. Journal of Policy Analysis and Management 23(3): 595–611. , .
- 2006. A critical examination of arguments against bicycle helmet use and legislation. Accident Analysis and Prevention 38(2): 277–278. , .
- 1995. Factors related to the presence of head injury in bicycle-related pediatric trauma patients. The Journal of Trauma: Injury, Infection and Critical Care 38: 871–875. , , , .
- 2006. Expenses for a hospital emergency room visit, 2003. Statistical Brief #111. January. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality: Rockville MD. .
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. 2009. Traffic Safety Facts 2009 Data Bicyclists and Other Cyclists. DOT HS 811 386.
- National Safe Kids Campaign. 2002. A national study of traumatic brain injury and wheel-related sports, May.
- NSGA. 2012. 2010 Youth Participation in Selected Sports with Comparisons to 2001. Available from: http://www.nsga.org/files/public/2010YouthParticipationInSelectedSportsWithComparisons.pdf (accessed 5/17/12)
- 2001. The Bicycle Study. Unpublished manuscript, Consumer Product Safety Commission. .
- Safe Kids USA. 2012. Bicycling and Skating Safety Fact Sheet. Available from: http://www.safekids.org/our-work/research/fact-sheets/bicycle-safety-fact-sheet.html (Accessed 5/17/12)
- 2007. Pediatric hospitalizations for bicycle-related injuries. Injury Prevention 13: 316–321. , , , .
- 1996. Effectiveness of bicycle safety helmets in preventing serious facial injury. JAMA 276: 1974–1975. , , , .
- 1989. A case-control study of the effectiveness of bicycle safety helmets. The New England Journal of Medicine 21(320): 1361–1367. , , .
- 2002. Econometric analysis of cross section and panel data. MIT Press: Cambridge. .