IS THE MEDICAL LOSS RATIO A GOOD TARGET MEASURE FOR REGULATION IN THE INDIVIDUAL MARKET FOR HEALTH INSURANCE?
Article first published online: 4 OCT 2013
Copyright © 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume 24, Issue 1, pages 55–74, January 2015
How to Cite
2015), IS THE MEDICAL LOSS RATIO A GOOD TARGET MEASURE FOR REGULATION IN THE INDIVIDUAL MARKET FOR HEALTH INSURANCE?, Health Econ., 24, 55–74, doi: 10.1002/hec.3002, , and (
- Issue published online: 8 DEC 2014
- Article first published online: 4 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 5 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 28 APR 2012
- 2007. Entry and competition in local hospital markets. Journal of Industrial Organization 55: 265–288. , , .
- 2011. Regulating the medical loss ratio: implications for the individual market. American Journal of Managed Care 17: 211–224. addressing endogeneity in health econometric modeling. Journal of Health Economics 27: 531–543. , .
- 2013. Sizing up the individual market for health insurance: a comparison of survey and administrative data sources. Medical Care Research and Review 70(4): 418–433. , , .
- 2005. Selection on observed and unobserved variables: assessing the effectiveness of Catholic schools. Journal of Political Economy 113: 151–184. , , .
- American Medical News. 2004. Anthem, WellPoint merge into largest health plan. http://www.amednews.com/article/20041220/business/312209996/2/ [last accessed 03/18/13].
- 2004. $16.4 billion Anthem, WellPoint merger clears final hurdle. USA Today. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/industries/insurance/2004-11-09-anthem-wellpoint_x.htm [last accessed 03/18/13]. .
- Association of Health Insurance Plans (AHIP). 2011. The federal medical loss ratio (MLR) calculations—background and initial costs of compliance, 2011. www.ahip.org/MLRComplianceCosts2011/ [last accessed 03/18/13].
- 1962. Behavior of the firm under regulatory constrain. American Economic Review 52: 1052–1069. , .
- 1970. Input choices and rate of return regulation: an overview of the discussion. Bell Journal of Economics and Management Science 1: 162–190. ,
- 2010. Recognizing destabilization in the individual health insurance market. Issue brief—changes in Health Care Financing and Organization (HCFO). http://www.rwjf.org/content/dam/farm/reports/issue_briefs/2010/rwjf62289. [last accessed 03/18/2010] .
- 1999. Competitive behavior in local physician markets. Medical Care Research and Review 56: 395–414. , , , .
- 1991. Entry and competition in concentrated markets. Journal of Political Economy 99: 977–1009. , .
- Congressional Budget Office. 2012. Updated Estimates for the Insurance Coverage Provisions of the Affordable Care Act. CBO: Washington, DC.
- Congressional Hearing (CHRG). 2010a. Competition in the healthcare marketplace. Hearing before the Subcommittee on Consumer Protection, Product Safety, and Insurance of the Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation, United States Senate, 111th Congress, First Session, S. Hrg. 111–483, July 16, 2009. Government Printing Office: Washington, DC.
- Congressional Hearing (CHRG). 2010b. Consumer choices and transparency in the health insurance industry. Hearing before the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation, United States Senate, 111th Congress, First Session, S. Hrg. 111–344, June 24, 2009. Government Printing Office: Washington, DC.
- 2010. Are health insurance markets competitive? American Economic Review 100: 1399–1431. .
- 2012. Paying a premium on your premium? Consolidation in the U.S. health insurance industry. American Economic Review 102: 1161–1185. , , .
- 2003. Differentiation and competition in HMO markets. The Journal of Industrial Economics 51: 427–432. , , .
- 1989. Unmasking monopoly: four types of economic evidence. In Larner RJ, Meehan JW, Jr. (eds.) Economics and Antitrust Policy. Greenwood Press: Westport, CT. .
- Federal Register. 2010. 45-CFR-Part 158. Health insurance issuers implementing medical loss ratio (MLR). Requirements under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act: interim final rule. http://www.healthreformgps.org/wp-content/uploads/2010-29596_PI.pdf [last accessed 03/18/2013].
- 1991. Market power in antitrust. Antitrust Law Journal 60: 814. .
- 2011. Do small-group health insurance regulations influence small business size? The Journal of Risk and Insurance 79(1): 231–260. , , , .
- 1934. The concept of monopoly and the measurement of monopoly. Review of Economic Studies 1: 157–175. .
- 1997. Use and abuse of the medical loss ratio to measure health plan performance. Health Affairs 16: 176–187. .
- 2008. Two-stage residual inclusion estimation: the influence of colleagues' choice. Journal of Public Economics 2002 85: 121–148. , , .