THE POVERTY EFFECTS OF A ‘FAT-TAX’ IN IRELAND
Article first published online: 17 OCT 2013
Copyright © 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume 24, Issue 1, pages 104–121, January 2015
How to Cite
2015), THE POVERTY EFFECTS OF A ‘FAT-TAX’ IN IRELAND, Health Econ., 24, 104–121, doi: 10.1002/hec.3006(
- Issue published online: 8 DEC 2014
- Article first published online: 17 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 9 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 22 MAR 2013
- 1984. The theory of reform and Indian indirect taxes. Journal of Public Economics 25: 259–298. , .
- Anonymous. 2004. Who pays in the obesity war? The Lancet 363: 339.
- 1970. On the measurement of inequality. Journal of Economic Theory 2: 244–263. .
- 1987. On the measurement of poverty. Econometrica 55: 749–764. .
- 1987. Income distribution and differences in needs. Arrow and the Foundations of the Theory of Economic Policy, Feiwel GR (ed.), Chapter 12. Macmillan: London. , .
- 1995. Income Distribution in OECD Countries: Evidence from the Luxembourg Income Study. OECD: Paris. , , .
- 1996. Tax Reform and Welfare Measurement: Do We Need Demand System Estimation? Economic Journal 106: 1227–1241. , , .
- 1997. Quadratic Engel Curves and Consumer Demand. Review of Economics and Statistics 79(4): 527–539. , , .
- 2000. Consumption and income inequality in Australia. Economic Record 76: 116–138. , , .
- 2013. Relationship of soft drink consumption to global overweight, obesity and diabetes: a cross-national analysis of 75 countries. American Journal of Public Health 103(5): 1–17. , , , .
- 1988. Food subsidies and poverty alleviation. Economic Journal 98: 701–719. , .
- 1998. Kernel regression in empirical microeconomics. Journal of Human Resources 33: 62–87. , .
- 1993. What do we learn about consumer demand patterns from micro data. American Economic Review 83: 570–597. , , .
- 2004. An economic framework for understanding physical behaviour and eating activities. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 27(S3): 117–125. .
- 2010. Value added tax and excises. Dimensions of Tax Design: The Mirrlees Review. Institute for Fiscal Studies: London. , , .
- CSO. 2012. Household Budget Survey 2009–2010. Stationary Office: Dublin, Ireland.
- 1981. Optimal taxes and the structure of preferences. Econometrica 49: 1245–1260. .
- 1980. Economics and Consumer Behaviour. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge. , .
- 2013. The evolution of poverty in the European Union: concepts, measurement and data. ImPRovE Methodological Paper No. 13/01. Antwerp. , , , .
- 2005. The economics of obesity: dietary energy density and energy cost. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 82(suppl): 265S–273S. , .
- 2004. Poverty and obesity: the role of energy density and energy costs. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 79: 6–16. , .
- 2002. Socially efficient tax reforms. mimeo. , , .
- 2009. Pro-poor tax reforms with an application to Mexico. IZA Discussion Paper No. 4511. , ,
- 2012. Prevalence of obesity and trends in the distribution of body mass index among US adults, 1999–2010. Journal of the American Medical Association 307: 483–490. , , , .
- 2013. Association of all-cause mortality with overweight and obesity using standard body mass index categories. Journal of the American Medical Association 309: 71–82. , , , .
- 1997. On Economic Inequality after a quarter century. On Economic Inequality, Sen A (ed.), Clarendon Paperbacks. Oxford University Press: Oxford, New York. , .
- 1984. A class of decomposable poverty measures. Econometrica 52: 761–766. , , .
- 2008. SLÁN 2007: Survey of Lifestyle, Attitudes and Nutrition in Ireland. Dietary Habits of the Irish Population. Department of Health and Children. The Stationery Office: Dublin. , , , , , , , .
- Irish Universities Nutrition Alliance. 2011. National adult nutrition survey, IUNA.
- 2011. Hold the Croissant: the European Union declares war on obesity. Journal of European Social Policy 21: 107–119. , .
- 2000. Income and price elasticities of foods consumed in the home. http://statistics.defra.gov.uk/esg/publications/nfs/2000/Section6.pdf (Accessed 2005). .
- 2004. The ‘Fat Tax’: economic incentives to reduce obesity. Institute for Fiscal Studies. Briefing Note No. 49. IFS. London. , .
- 1993. A new set of consumer demand estimates for Ireland. Economic and Social Review 24: 101–123. .
- 1995. An analysis of indirect tax reform in Ireland in the 1980s. Fiscal Studies 16: 18–37. .
- 1996. Marginal tax reform and the specification of consumer demand systems. Oxford Economic Papers 48: 556–567. .
- 2000. Relative and absolute poverty lines: a new approach. Review of Income and Wealth 46: 181–200. .
- 2007. Health interventions and risky behaviour. The Provision and use of Health Services, Health Inequalities and Health and Social Gain, Nolan B, Gannon B, Layte R, McGregor P, Madden D, Nolan A, , Smith S (eds.), Economic and Social Research Institute: Dublin. .
- 2010. The socioeconomic gradient of obesity in Ireland. Economic and Social Review 44: 181–196. .
- 2012. A profile of obesity in Ireland, 2002–2007. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series A-Statistics in Society 175(4): 893–914. .
- 2000. Poverty in Ireland, 1987–1994: a stochastic dominance approach. Economic and Social Review 31: 187–214. , .
- 2002. Consumption dominance curves: testing for the impact of indirect tax reforms on poverty. Economics Letters 75: 227–235. , .
- 2000. Exploring a fiscal food policy: the case of diet and ischaemic heart disease. British Medical Journal 320: 301–304. .
- 1995. Dalton improving tax reform. American Economic Review 85: 793–807. , .
- 2007. Could targeted food taxes improve health? Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 61: 689–694. , , , .
- 2012. Taxing unhealthy food and drinks to improve health. British Medical Journal 344: e2931. , , .
- National Task Force on Obesity. 2005. Obesity – the policy challenges. The Report of the National Taskforce on Obesity. Health Promotion Unit, The Department of Health and Children.
- 1989. Taxing to control social costs: the case of alcohol. American Economic Review 79: 235–243. , .
- 1986. Sensitivity of ‘optimal’ commodity tax rates to alternative demand functional forms. Journal of Public Economics 31: 253–268. .
- 2005. The obesity epidemic in Europe. CSEF Working Paper No. 143. .
- 1983. Ranking income distributions. Economica 50: 3–17. .
- 2007. Socio-economic characteristics and the effect of taxation as a health policy instrument. Food Policy 32: 624–639. , , .
- 1991. Welfare dominance: an application to commodity taxation. American Economic Review 81: 480–496. , .
- 1990. Welfare dominance and the design of excise taxation in the Côte d'Ivoire. Journal of Development Economics 33: 1–18. , .